1.    #1  
    Hi All, I just got a Treo 650 as a gift, it's cool and all, but I wanna know what it can do for me. I'm a college student and I'm not sure what this thing can do for me as an offline device, I have Cingular and I don't plan to log on as it costs too much. Aside from the Calendar and the memo that will organize my appointments, is there anything else that can be done with this device?
    Thanks
    ...there are tons of posts where people are doing all sorts of things like:

gps, editing word/excel files, watching dvd movies on it, managing your finances, the list goes on.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Use it as a PIM, games too! Video! Word, PowerPoint and Excel!
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the replies, what is PIM?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Since I'm a college student too I'll give you some examples of how I use the phone..

Word - take notes in class. Takes time to get used to the keyboard but once you're done you can straight copy it to your computer and print it out.

pTunes - Make sure you get a SD card (512mb+). You can listen to radio on it also.

Directory Assistant (application) - Need to know Pizzahut s number and you dont got internet at a friends house? Need directions but you cant access mapquest through your computer? Just type all your info in this software and it will do it all for you.

Block numbers - If you have roomates who keep pranking you and such you can create a group to ignore their calls.

Camera/Camcorder - the camcorder is pretty much useless .. unless you want to record conversations you can record while you're still on the phone.

Messaging - Even though most phones do this now you can send the same text messages to many different numbers. handy if you want to let friends know of a party or dinner, etc...

Calculator - its more than a basic calculator, you can select the right button and it can get you into scientific mode and such. I sometimes use it when I forget my calculator in math class.

Worldmate - its not free but it has many conversion tools thats useful. ex. currency exchange, height, mesasurement, tip calculator, etc..
    Way to go Peterjun!

Jericho2550: Basically, you have a computer and a cell phone in your hand. 1,000s of applications have been written for it. The question is: What do you want it to do? (It probably will.) Enjoy! You are in for an adventure.

May I add mobile EMail and Web access to the list above?
    PIM = Personal Information Manager (Management)

You can take cool pix too ...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Sell it :P
    I know it is more important for me in business than it will be for a student, but keeping all your contacts together, often with a picture I take right then and there is a cool way to keep name, face, number all together. It also blows people away with the screen quality when I show them family pictures or whatever.
  10.    #10  
    Peterjun, you are kick ***, all of you guys I really appreciate it, now one more thing, in my phone book I have the name and the number below it, can I just have it show the name only? like my Nokia use to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Jericho2550
    Peterjun, you are kick ***, all of you guys I really appreciate it, now one more thing, in my phone book I have the name and the number below it, can I just have it show the name only? like my Nokia use to do
    Nope.

One more thought, though. Since I imagine your budget is limited, check out:

www.freewarepalm.com for thousands of free apps (some not so good, some surprisingly professional), and:

www.handango.com and www.palmgear.com

Both have freeware apps, too, as well as a great many inexpensive shareware apps.

Have fun!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.