1.    #1  
    I"ve read elsewhere on the board that the GlobalSat BT-338 works great with TomTom Navigator 4.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...tor#post633630

I just purchased the GlobalSat BT-338 for use with TomTom Navigator 4 (I had been using an iTrek Bluetooth device). Unfortunately, I can't get TomTom Navigator 4 to recognize the BT-338.

The Treo paired with the BT-338 nicely. However, when I select "other bluetooth GPS" under devices within TomTom, nothing is recognized (theBT-338 PDF manual aludes to using a correct com port/baud rate with the navigation software, but this doesn't seem applicable).

What am I doing wrong?
    When I first started using the GlobalSat with Mapopopolis it worked great. Even found satellites indoors, but over the past few days the Treo isn't pairing with the device and I can't get it to work at all.

Still investigating corrupted preferences or something - who knows what...
    Try switching in the options first to the TomTom GPS and then wait ten seconds, now try "other bluetooth GPS" and wait ten seconds..you may have to do this a few times but eventually the bluetooth discovery screen will pop up...select the BT338 and hit ok...you will hear 2 beeps and the BT338 should pair with your Treo.

I know this is a hassle but I seem to have to do this alot, usually it *seems* when I do this it is shortly after choosing "other bluetooth GPS" I will have the bluetooth discovery screen popup...usually like 10-15 seconds after I change from TomTom GPS.

**Note I havent seen any adjustments for port/baud and if their was I never used them..try the method above and comment if it works for you...its not uncommon for me to have to go back and forth like 3-4 times switching from TomTom to "other bluetooth GPS" and then it finally clicks..
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    Try switching in the options first to the TomTom GPS and then wait ten seconds, now try "other bluetooth GPS" and wait ten seconds..you may have to do this a few times but eventually the bluetooth discovery screen will pop up...select the BT338 and hit ok...you will hear 2 beeps and the BT338 should pair with your Treo.
    Hmm - that seemed to do the trick. Weird! Is that normal? Do you have to do that all the time?! It seems like a hassle...(on the bright side though, the BT338 seems to see the sats extremely well). :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    Hmm - that seemed to do the trick. Weird! Is that normal? Do you have to do that all the time?! It seems like a hassle...(on the bright side though, the BT338 seems to see the sats extremely well). :-)
    Switch on the BT338 before launching navigator, that will keep your preferences and you don't have to reselect everytime
    Ciao

Ettore
  6.    #6  
    Is this an issue that TomTom Navigator 4 has with all bluetooth GSP devices, or just the BT338?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    Switch on the BT338 before launching navigator, that will keep your preferences and you don't have to reselect everytime

Yup. that seems to work from my experience. Also, let the 338 get a lock before launching TomTom. Also, if you have mapopolis, you can it to get the two devices connected before ever launching TomTom. However thats hardly needed if the GPS has a lock before launching the application.