1.    #1  
    I just downloaded Quick News http://standalone.com/palmos/quick_news/ to my Treo 650. It looks like a great program and I hope to replace Avantgo with it. However the news articles only seem to have a brief paragraph each. The instructions say to tap on the headline to go to the full article, but tapping on the headline brings up a bunch of choices like “flag” “delete” “email” etc.

Is Quick New designed to only provide brief beginning paragraphs of an article, or am I doing something wrong?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Why would you replace a (free) Avantgo with this program? It doesn't appear to add any functionality.
    Does Avantgo do "over the air" updates? I thought it needed a hotsync to transfer the content to the handheld ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quicknews is just an RSS reader...it connects to the net when you click on the briefs..
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    quick_news does not depend upon the sync software to 'get' stuff.

That being said, I have tried lots of RSS feed software and I still prefer to browse the sites I follow anyways.

I have not found localized RSS feeds that could actually be useful, like local movie house showtimes for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilkins
    However the news articles only seem to have a brief paragraph each. The instructions say to tap on the headline to go to the full article, but tapping on the headline brings up a bunch of choices like “flag” “delete” “email” etc.
    This is a problem with the way site do their RSS feeds. Normally there should be more than a paragraph but many sites to not configure there RSS in the tru spirit of RSS functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Does Avantgo do "over the air" updates? I thought it needed a hotsync to transfer the content to the handheld ...
    Yes it does, but for me it takes longer than Quick News. I guess it depends on how much content you are downloading.
    Without a doubt, the best news outlet program is Express from Handmark.
    Amazingly fast and thorough. Definitely worth the price of $10 a month.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    >>Does Avantgo do "over the air" updates? I thought it needed a hotsync to transfer the content to the handheld ...

Yes, Avantgo does do updates OTA. You don't have to hotsync to get them.
    I use both Avantgo and Quick News. Both are sync'd from the Treo 650. Avantgo is manually sync'd. QN allows auto sync but I tend to manally sync it as well.

I use Avantgo for the new sources that I KNOW will content that I want to read the whole story. That is those sources where I know I will consistently find content that I want to read completely.

I use Quick News for those sites I like to monitor. That is they MIGHT have content that I want to read. Because they grab teasers, I can determine If I want to read a particular story with downloading the whole site or group of stories. I can email a story link to read later from the desktop or open the link to read the entire story.

I am not aware of a way to download a complete story to the handheld with QN.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com