Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After having my Cingular Treo 650 for a few months here's my opinions.

PROS:
    -Exposed keyboard
    -EDGE Connection(Cingular)
    -Good/Great Battery Life
    -Excellent PIM(Organizer)
    -Sharp screen
    -5 way nav(not needing to touch the screen, ever!)
    -Loads of apps available(including free)
    -Good VGA Camera integration
    -Overal functionality
    -Built in apps work well together
    -SD slot

CONS:
    -Antenna(external)
    -Old OS(not pretty enough for me)
    -Barely any media support(built in)
    -Heavy in weight
    -Smallish screen(but still not bad due to keeping size of phone)
    -Earpiece volume is low(still too low for me even after installing apps to fix it)
    -Needs to be reset a lot
    -No 3.5 stereo jack(personal gripe)
    -Built in web browser not as compatible with websites as PIE

This is my personal list. Everyone's is surely different.
    An error occured while trying to grasp the point of your post. Please review your post and add a point, if the problem persists please contact your systems administrator.

PROs:
    A post was made
    There was some text in the post
    An attempt to review a product was made

CONs:
    There was no point
    Pretty much a waste of time
    Rehash of the 10000s of comparisons we already have on Treo Central.
    Redudant to the many polls and reviews
    Items listed are external/pointless.
    Complete waste of a database record/bandwidth.
    Obvious slam attempt at Treo 650.
    Smells like Troll behavior.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    lol
    I love my Treo!
    I hate my Treo!
    I love my Treo!
    I hate my Treo!
    I love my Treo!
    I hate my Treo!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    What is your issue with media support? The photo viewer will play lots of video formats, including WMA (if you run them through the Palm Desktop, first). RealPlayer kind of sucks, but there are a number of better audio players available pretty inexpensively.

Resets? I know some people have lots of problems, but most people seem to have only minor issues. Mine is rock stable, and many others have reported the same thing. But only the complainers keep posting over and over. If you're having lots of resets, maybe it's you (or the software you run)?

Heavy? I think the two heaviest parts of the Treo are the battery and screen. But you'd like a bigger screen, which would only be heavier. And use more power, requiring an even heavier battery. Find me something with an equal screen that's lighter.

Call me an old fool, I suppose, but somehow the antenna does nothing to get in my way. I'd rather have an external antenna and better reception (and the 650 has better reception than my last two Sprint phones). Speaking of "old," I have minor hearing loss (too many rock concerts), but have no problem with the volume of the earpiece, even in a moving car.

I guess I don't use any web sites that stress Blazer, but I can access ebay (not that I generally bother), my broker's web site (with secure account access), MSN groups, Yahoo groups and mail, and dozens of others.

I can't argue with you that the Palm OS isn't very pretty, but I'll take the small memory footprint and ease of use of Palm over M$' pretty bloatware any day.

You're absolutely right about the phone jack, though. Using a phone jack that works with standard phone headsets was really dumb, and the 3.5 to 2.5mm adapters are really expensive, hard to find, and complicated to use.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It is interesting the complaints about resets and dropped calls. I have only run my VZW 650 for about a week now, but I have very heavy phone use and never dropped a call or suffered a reset (yet).
    The 650 is about 15% (guessing by hand here) heavier than my Motorolla i530 with about (at least) 4 times the capability.

Also curious about the sound complaints. I use my phone in starbucks via the ear piece or as a conventional phone and have better luck with sound quality than any of my other 3 phones.
    It is possible this individual has a lemon...or I have heard that the VZW 650 addressed some of these problems.
    heavy...what are you, a little baby? Seriously...are you two years old or younger? this is a serious question.
    TC's Holy Trinity has arrived. Only a matter of time now before:

http://www.pro-flo.com/images/Three%...ead%20Lock.jpg

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    TC's Holy Trinity has arrived. Only a matter of time now before:
    ...someone's feelings get hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    ...someone's feelings get hurt
    Why not. I already brought one down today:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...50&postcount=1

because of this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85206

Ha... the guy with the nascar text. You nasty troll!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    You're absolutely right about the phone jack, though. Using a phone jack that works with standard phone headsets was really dumb, and the 3.5 to 2.5mm adapters are really expensive, hard to find, and complicated to use.
    I kind of have to disagree with people who think that they should have put in a 3.5 instead of a 2.5. It probably came down to this: We don't have enough room on the bottom of the phone to put two connectors...We have to put a 3.5 or a 2.5...Which one wll be better?

Obviously, the Treo being, first and foremost, a phone, most people who are going to use it, are going to use it for a headset jack. Since most people wnat it for a headset jack, they wanted it to have a standard headset jack...so that you didn't need a special adapter for your headset.

Only a few people are going to use it for a headphone port, so you just sell an adapater that will let you plug the headphones in. They aren't expensive or hard to find either...Pick one up for $4 at your local radio shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=274%2D373#
    That one works great in my phone
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    After having my Cingular Treo 650 for a few months here's my opinions.

PROS:
    -Exposed keyboard
    -EDGE Connection(Cingular)
    -Good/Great Battery Life
    -Excellent PIM(Organizer)
    -Sharp screen
    -5 way nav(not needing to touch the screen, ever!)
    -Loads of apps available(including free)
    -Good VGA Camera integration
    -Overal functionality
    -Built in apps work well together
    -SD slot

CONS:
    -Antenna(external)
    -Old OS(not pretty enough for me)
    -Barely any media support(built in)
    -Heavy in weight
    -Smallish screen(but still not bad due to keeping size of phone)
    -Earpiece volume is low(still too low for me even after installing apps to fix it)
    -Needs to be reset a lot
    -No 3.5 stereo jack(personal gripe)
    -Built in web browser not as compatible with websites as PIE

I have the same one you do. My responses for you(not in your same order though).

1. The screen is plenty big for a PHONE, unless you want to carry a larger device around, like a LAPTOP or TABLET! Do you really want huge screen on a PHONE?

2. Heavy sort of by today's standards, but GOOD, at least I know there's some substance to it. It is a PDA and a phone, you know. Want lighter, buy the RAZR and remember it's not a true business device even though it fronts as sort of one. Weight not a deal breaker for me.

3. I don't know what people keep putting on their phones to reset it, NONE here! Maybe if you stuck with the software you have INCLUDED and/or also only loaded APPROVED, not beta software, this wouldn't happen so much.

4. Ugly old OS???

5. I thought this had Real Player. That's enough media support for me considering the desktop version is powerful. Shouldn't this one be too? I never really used it though, so I can't truly say how powerful it is.

6. External antenna not a deal breaker for me. Internal is probably more modern though.

7. Doesn't downloading full HTML pages eat up a lot of data KB? If you have Unlimited, I guess it doesn't matter though. But I'm a bit confused. If the screen is too small for you, why bother even trying to download full HTML pages? You'll be squinting.

Some of the things people complain about on the Treo, I seriously think they should just get this. And download CallWave to make calls or something.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...Dept=computers

My only real complaints about Treo 650 are no WiFi and no BT 1.2, now that's a bit LAME considering this day and age.

You know, there appears to be no built in bluetooth for the devices in the link above, but an adapter would solve that problem. Those aren't bad devices to replace the Treo if you can carry them. It does solve most of the complaints here. Cost 5 times as much, but oh well. I'm really not trying to be funny, but be honest, some of you seem to want the Treo to be the be-all device and it just ISN'T. Just my opinion though.

P.S. I did forget to mention the earpiece volume is fine on my end too.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/26/2005 at 04:24 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Personally, I like the external antenna. Makes it easier to pull the phone out of a shirt pocket or belt pouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by menachh
    Personally, I like the external antenna. Makes it easier to pull the phone out of a shirt pocket or belt pouch.
    Yeah, I do that a lot too. Too bad there's no wrist strap. . .
    My earphone volume is ok! Could be a hardware issue!
    Oh, that's an antenna? I thought it was like the pull handle or dipstick or something.

:>
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    I kind of have to disagree with people who think that they should have put in a 3.5 instead of a 2.5. It probably came down to this: We don't have enough room on the bottom of the phone to put two connectors...We have to put a 3.5 or a 2.5...Which one wll be better?

<snip>

That one works great in my phone
    Ah, I should have known this was going to happen. Just for the record, I was being sarcastic when I wrote my comments about the jack. I absolutely agree that the 2.5mm jack make sense.

Although I do wish it was a 4 conductor jack, instead of just three.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast