1.    #1  
    Hello,

Loooooong time reader finally joining up. Started with a visor phone > 180g > 180 > finally got the 600 this past Feb.

The 600 has been great and I've spent much time filling it with the best software I can find. I've read most every thread here on 'The Best Software" or "Stuff you can't live without", etc.

Hopefully some treo newbies can use this list but I'm hoping some people can point out anything I'm missing.

What I've added so far or carried over from the 180s [in no particular order].

Checklist - Mostly used for my backpacking checklists. There's nothing like forgetting critical equipment.

LauncherX - I researched launchers and this one fit me the best

HandyShop - grocery list

Planetarium - Amateur astronomy software

PocketMoney - Balance the finances. Know exactly how much money I don't have.

Street Atlas USA Handheld 2005 - Maps, routes, waypoints

Directory Assistant - Yellow pages

Mundu - IM software. Didn't want to pay yearly charge like some other titles, so I went with this.

Snapper - Email, with the SMS notifications

Tide Tool - I live on the ocean. This is very handy.

Diddlebug - for adding hand drawn stuff to email

jpegwatch lite - viewing pics

mmplayer - I've ripped dvds and use mmplayer to watch on the treo

movierec - rather buggy movie recording software

pickem - adds zoom capability to T600 camera

Sketcher - more drawing software. I prefer this to diddlebug but dbug does email export.

Snap - taking screen grabs of treo screen

SplashBlog - photo blogging right on treo

Bhajis Loops- quite possibly the coolest handheld software ever. Loops-style music creation. Incredibly complex with great sound. Creates full songs, not 'beeps and boops' midi tones.

PocketTunes deluxe - mp3 playpack plus streaming music from the internet. I just wish there was a direct iTunes sync capability.

SoundRec - voice memos, recording friends when they don't expect it.

Games - all sorts of games. Vexed is a personal favorite.

big clock - a BIG clock, with time zones, alarms, timer, etc.

BrightCam - uses the camera to set the screen brightness and keyboard backlight. very cool and very useful.

Filez - manage every file on the treo and sd cards

HandZipper Lite - zip tool. great for downloading stuff directly on the treo from the internet

mirror - turns the treo into a crappy mirror. emergency use only.

treohelper - I use the SMS part of this tool to alert Snapper of new email and to remotely lock the treo if ever necessary.

powerup - turns the radio back on after reset

qset - crank up the quality of the camera's photos

2favorites - lets the phone hard button go directly to the favorites page

profiles - set up profiles like regular cell phones. use time of day or other triggers to switch between them automatically. Very, very handy.

Also, some utility that allows me to select and cut/copy text without the stylus.

I've looked into butler since that's mentioned a lot here, but didn't see a need for it. It seemed to mostly be about alarms and navigation updates, but I don't need anything there.

I tried the various voice launchers. They were cool but I didn't find myself using them. Maybe I just don't like talking at my phone in public. I don't use the headset often and don't talk in the car much, both times the voice stuff would be more useful.

I think that's all. So, if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

-Mike
    Mike:

There are at least a dozen (probably more like 2 dozen) threads asking for (and getting) software recommendations. Search them out, rather than asking everyone to repeat themselves, again. BTW, for me, Butler's KLaunch feature alone is worth the price of admission.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3.    #3  
    I've been reading this site on and off for years. I think I've covered everything and I'm fairly happy with what I've got right now. I was just hoping some regulars could scan the list and see if there's anything important I may have missed.

I've spent a lot of time reading those long general recommendation threads and I've tried searching on things that I think of. But its hard to search for software you don't have in mind.

Profiles was something I just added after seeing it mentioned a lot. I never would have thought of searching for something like that and didn't realize I needed it but I love it now.

I tried to avoid making everyone have to repeat themselves by listing what I already had, hopefully covering most stuff...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I don't see
    Card Export - Use your Treo as a SD card reader
    PDA Net - use your Treo as a modem in a pinch
    Palm VNC - View home computer via Treo - Great for setting up stations to stream on Shoutcast
    is there any good program for getting stock quotes/info?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMaine
    Hello,
    Bhajis Loops- quite possibly the coolest handheld software ever. Loops-style music creation. Incredibly complex with great sound. Creates full songs, not 'beeps and boops' midi tones.
    -Mike
    I could dump all my other programs (well, most of them) and be happy just with bhajis loops!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom
    I don't see
    Card Export - Use your Treo as a SD card reader
    PDA Net - use your Treo as a modem in a pinch
    Palm VNC - View home computer via Treo - Great for setting up stations to stream on Shoutcast
    A card reader came with the card I bought.

I did try a different modem tool and it worked but I didn't want to pay for something I'll probably never use.

Palm VNC- Now this is cool!! I don't really have a use for it yet but its fun! I've mostly just controlled iTunes while sitting in another room so far.
    Two of my favorites (that i don't see listed in your post) are FlightStatus and YAUC (Yet Another Unit Converter).
    Visor Deluxe (green) > Visor Prism > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro
    My personal website is Ryan McFarland
    Avantgo
    EReader
    SplashID
  10.    #10  
    Oooo... I can see that YAUC is going to be very handy!

Thanks for all of the recommendations from everyone so far.
    Stockmanager from tinystocks