Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Jeff,

I'm using version 2.13. I have it disabled because it, for some reason, really really slows down the Treo quite a bit. I posted this in another thread, but to be clear, when you're working on a processor intensive app or game such as 'bike or die', you can clearly see the performance hit. This application should Not be doing anything when other processes are running that are Not Phone, so can you do something about this?

Wow, what a coincidence I read this. I had installed VC version 2.13 today, and also happened to have done a speed test at www.dslreports.com/mspeed and I noticed I was getting strange slower than normal speed tests, but had no idea it might be related to VC 2.13. I'm still unsure if there is any correllation between the speed test and VolumeCare, but I'm going to try version 2.15 for comparison testing.

-Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Does the volume go to what you think the level should be when you press a volume key?

What model phone are you using? CDMA or GSM?

What I think is happening, is that different phones are processing phone events in a slightly different order. My phone (CDMA) gets the volume I gave it when the phone connects. Sounds like others are seeing the phone application's volume settings are being matained by the phone app until *after* the call is connected and then you manually increase the volume with the volume key.

Jeff
    I have a Sprint phone firmware 1.12 CDMA and after talking on it alot after work today I had to turn up the volume for each call.....incoming and outgoing....the sound increase is great but the inital sound level seems to be comparable to "factory" max. I have not tried VC 2.15 yet.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_shawn
    I have a Sprint phone firmware 1.12 CDMA and after talking on it alot after work today I had to turn up the volume for each call.....incoming and outgoing....the sound increase is great but the inital sound level seems to be comparable to "factory" max. I have not tried VC 2.15 yet.
    What did you have the preset set to? You set the preset to what you want the initial sound level to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Wow, what a coincidence I read this. I had installed VC version 2.13 today, and also happened to have done a speed test at www.dslreports.com/mspeed and I noticed I was getting strange slower than normal speed tests, but had no idea it might be related to VC 2.13. I'm still unsure if there is any correllation between the speed test and VolumeCare, but I'm going to try version 2.15 for comparison testing.

-Casey

Me too!!! I'm gonna try version 2.15 to see if it's better. I love this app, hope it doesn't actually cause the speed to slow down.
    Last edited by chenling; 06/29/2005 at 01:23 AM.
    I just tried the 600KB test using VC15 and at 202KB/sec using Cingular in Houston. That is as good (or better) than normal.
    VC rocks
    I installed VC 2.15, and did the same speed test again. This time I'm getting results of between 85 to 112 kbit/sec using the 600k setting, and this seems normal for me on a Sprint Treo 650 in the San Francisco area. Again, I'm not sure if there was any correllation between VolumeCare 2.13 and a slower speed previously, but everything seems fine now with version 2.15. :-))

Maybe others can chime in and report their speed test results too. Let's standardize by choosing the 600k setting. You probably want to re-do the test a few times to get an average result. Let us know what location you are in, and what carrier you have. The website for your Treo is: www.dslreports.com/mspeed
    I tried the speed test (using VC 2.15) and received 143kb/s. This is with Cingular in the Seattle area.
    In Denver (H. Ranch) -- only 37kb/sec. Sloooow

This is with T-Mobile and VC 2.15.
    Hi Again,

I think I'm using this program incorrectly, and I would love a few tips. I have VC 2.15 installed on a Verizon 650.

I have the volume for the handset set at about 80%. When VC is "enabled" each time I make a call, the display that pops up when I hit the side volume keys shows that the volume is set to max. This means that I cannot raise the volume. If I lower the volume during one call, it is right back at max. on the next call.

This is a slight problem because the only time I need the volume boost from VC is when I walk outside or when I get a call walking down a busy street.

So, my question is, how to I have VC enabled so that 1) when I'm on an indoor call, the volume doesn't blow my eardrum out before manually lowering the volume during a call and 2) I can boost the volume from a normal indoor volume to the VC-boosted volume when I walk outside?

Thanks!,
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by HoyaSaxa
    I have the volume for the handset set at about 80%. When VC is "enabled" each time I make a call, the display that pops up when I hit the side volume keys shows that the volume is set to max. This means that I cannot raise the volume. If I lower the volume during one call, it is right back at max. on the next call.
    Wrong. Don't worry about what the volume display shows because it's no longer accurate since you have VC installed. Even with the display showing full volume, you can keep hitting the volume rocker up and the volume will continue to rise. I figured that the display would give people some problems.

You set the default volume level for all calls with VC. Whenever you answer a call, the volume will be right where you set it inside of VC. Changing the volume during a call does nothing to affect the default volume level. That means that you would set the default volume in VC to something that's comfortable for indoor talking. Just disregard the volume display when you're outside and keep hitting the volume button to get the volume boost that you need.
    With VC 2.13 enabled, on VZW Treo 650 in NYC today:

on dslreports/mspeed
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Wrong. Don't worry about what the volume display shows because it's no longer accurate since you have VC installed. Even with the display showing full volume, you can keep hitting the volume rocker up and the volume will continue to rise. I figured that the display would give people some problems.

You set the default volume level for all calls with VC. Whenever you answer a call, the volume will be right where you set it inside of VC. Changing the volume during a call does nothing to affect the default volume level. That means that you would set the default volume in VC to something that's comfortable for indoor talking. Just disregard the volume display when you're outside and keep hitting the volume button to get the volume boost that you need.
    He is correct disregard the display and keep pumpign up the volume!...or lowering the volume if you are inside...just move you slider in VC to what you find comfortable.

VC 2.13 DSL Speeds 100K (Salt Lake City) Sprint 1.12
    16 kbit/sec
    16 kbit/sec
    Last edited by elder_shawn; 06/29/2005 at 04:14 PM.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Great! Tried it, and it works. Very helpful answers! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoyaSaxa
    Great! Tried it, and it works. Very helpful answers! Thank you!
    Kool. VC rocks. I haven't noticed any problems with 2.15, but I also haven't tried any conference calls or switching back and forth between calls on call waiting.

With great customer service like this, any chance of getting Jeff to make an MP3 ringer program? The newest Lightwav is actually pretty good but costs $20, and mRing and Ringo are both awful. CallFilter is dead and buried and CallShield is very limited and still beta.
    With great customer service like this, any chance of getting Jeff to make an MP3 ringer program? The newest Lightwav is actually pretty good but costs $20, and mRing and Ringo are both awful. CallFilter is dead and buried and CallShield is very limited and still beta.
    You might like to try the latest beta of Phone Technician.

For the Treo650 it now features a built-in mp3 player, ie it does not need Pocket Tunes etc to play mp3's. It plays mp3's for phone calls or sms messages.

And getting back on subject, yes VC rocks
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I don't want to de-rail this topic either but I wanted to second this request. An actual working call-blocker/filter/mp3 ringer program for the 650 with the support that Jeff provides would definitely get my $$!
    Using Ver 2.15 on a Cingular 650 today, I got a call on call waiting. Ended the first call and answered the second, and lost volume boost in second call (back to the old 650 max vloume, I think). I tried to hit speaker phone on and off to get the volume up, but hit hang-up instead (Doh!), so I'm not sure if that would have fixed it.

Sorry, Jeff, but it looks like this bug is still there.
    116 kbps
    1.856 s latency

Reston, VA (DC suburb)
    Kool. VC rocks. I haven't noticed any problems with 2.15, but I also haven't tried any conference calls or switching back and forth between calls on call waiting.

I am very much concidering this as my next project. Just need to complete the ROM "chase to stability" that I am facing right now. Then off to a new project and I think it will be call processing.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik57
    Using Ver 2.15 on a Cingular 650 today, I got a call on call waiting. Ended the first call and answered the second, and lost volume boost in second call (back to the old 650 max vloume, I think). I tried to hit speaker phone on and off to get the volume up, but hit hang-up instead (Doh!), so I'm not sure if that would have fixed it.

Sorry, Jeff, but it looks like this bug is still there.
    Yes I know. Still trying to "defeat" the normal behavior of the phone application. To make things worse, the GSM phone application seems to act differently thant he CDMA phone application. At this point why would I even think they would act the same?

Jeff