1.    #1  
    Have had my Verizon 650 for almost a week now. I have noticed a weird sound coming out of it every so often. It seems to be an adhoc event. Sometimes it happens when I am using an app and the app will lock up for a second after the sound stops. The Phone function is on when this is happening. The sound is like that of a high range piano chord. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the I/R Port picking up a stray I/R signal. I've noticed this happening more frequently when in my den, where I have a Terk I/R for my Harmon Kardon AVR525 Receiver and a Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse.

Is there a sound that the 650 generates when an I/R signal is sensed?

I can't find anything in the manual or PalmOne site regarding this.

Any clues?
  2.    #2  
    Well, when commuting on a train this morning the nise came back, again with no rhyme or reason, no consistency, and I was not near any I/R sources. No laptops nearby, etc...

Again, this locks up the keyboard for a second or so after the sound plays.

ANyone else getting an adhoc sound from time to time?
    That's probably the "service tone", when you go in and out of coverage. You can turn that off in the Sound prefs.

Tom
  4.    #4  
    Tom,

I think that you are probably correct. I "tripped" over this just a little while ago. I happened to stumble across the Service Tone "On / Off" when trying to find the sound that it was making in the Sound Utility. It doesn't seem very intuitive to me that they hide this in the Tone Section. I would think it would be right there in the default Volume section of the Sound Utility. But, when I saw that my heart skipped a beat.... I know I'm losing it... as I suspected that this could have been the culprit. I'll give it a little longer to confirm.

That was a brilliant assessment on your part.

Thanks very much for getting back to me!!

Mike