1.    #1  
    Well, simply put, do you think you'd be able to use your treo as your primary computer? What would you do to make that experience better?

I ask because i've lost my job and am soon to be without a computer. I have a machine at home but it needs more repairs than i'm willing to make. Thankfully, i've got an ipaq hx4700 and i'm using that with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse and its working well.

i can't be the first person to (for one reason or another) operate without a desktop for a while... so does anyone else have a story of how they coped?
    then again there's gotta be someone who just said forget it and went all pda...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I connect to my desktop at work quite often with my Treo 650 to look up inventory data. A little like looking thru a large key hole -- but workable.

With Docs to Go 7.0, a full pocket keyboard (for contiuous typing), and a 1GB or 2GB SD card, e-mail and Web (use skweezer.com) -- I'd say you would be all set to go laptopless.

Sorry to hear about the job -- good luck on the search -- use it as an opportunity to find your passion!!

Cheers, Perry.
    The biggest issue might be printing.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I don't have a desktop, mine's in Chicago waiting for repairs. I do everything on the Treo. If I do sit at someone else's computer, I find myself getting fidgety and wanting to walk around like I do with the Treo. I'm so used to it that I never use wap sites.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Better times are ahead... ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    The biggest issue might be printing.
    Good Point !!
    You will have to do a search thru the software sites to see what is available in this regard.

By the way, if you will not have a laptop, does that mean you will not have a "base computer" to Hot Sync with? If so, I will add one of the backup to SD card programs that are out there to my list of must haves for going laptopless or solo in this case.

(You are only as good as your last back up or Hot Sync -- I've been preaching that to friends since I began helping them with PCs some 20 odd years ago.)

Cheers, Perry.
    One big issue would be the browsers available. If you do a lot of web stuff, the browser will have you pulling your hair out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    Well, simply put, do you think you'd be able to use your treo as your primary computer? What would you do to make that experience better?

I ask because i've lost my job and am soon to be without a computer. I have a machine at home but it needs more repairs than i'm willing to make. Thankfully, i've got an ipaq hx4700 and i'm using that with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse and its working well.

i can't be the first person to (for one reason or another) operate without a desktop for a while... so does anyone else have a story of how they coped?
    then again there's gotta be someone who just said forget it and went all pda...
    Sorry to hear about losing your job. What do you "do".

I have a small laptop that is my "primary". I don't think the treo is ready for that action "yet". Just my opinion, of course, and based on what I use my computer for.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    no it's not a replacement. Big screens, faster procs, printing, MUCH BETTER WEB BROWSING.

It is possible but you have to lower your standards way down.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think in a pinch I could last without my desktop. I do almost that now. I very rarely sit in front of the monitor anymore. For the most part there are only a few things that I do on the web anyway. Check out Treocentral, well I can do that easily on the Treo and Howardforums just the same. Check my email and respond to what little email I get, no problem! Games and books that I solely use my treo for, well I am already there. I have actually thought about getting rid of my desktop completly and just getting a small and light little notebook for the computer stuff, ie downloading new software and searching for various things that are a little difficult to do on the Treo. Al in all I could last though without a computer.
  10.    #10  
    well thankfully i have access to regular computers when i need to print something and wifi at home for the ipaq... i dont know if i could deal with 1xrtt as a primary internet connection- however i am switching to sprint evdo when i buy a replacement laptop and ditching the cable/dsl. i haven't been vigilant about finding a backup solution yet... probably should...
    i "do" IT management, systems administration, that sort of thing. it is my passion (at least in a career sense) and the place i was in was a great fit for me, unfortunately outsourcing and staff reorganization left me with the short end of the stick. i still do get really ticked off at the web browsing limitations sometimes- but i've been using a linux machine at work in an effort to get me to hate using a full computer more than my pda... :-)
    thankfully i've got all my toys still and when i do get a new computer, i'll be up and running in no time- unfortunately that won't happen until i get a new job.

i have become a big fan of ebooks lately, thankfully mobipocket works well on windows mobile and palm... the only games i ever play anymore are on my treo... solitaire mostly (man i'm good at that game) so i'll see how it works out. i'm thinking of starting a blog on my misadventures with only a pda...
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 05/26/2005 at 11:22 AM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Regarding backing up your information, I have a suggestion:

You can easily buy an older model Palm unit, such as a Palm V or Vx for as low as $25 to $50. I recently bought a mint condition Palm Vx for only a measly $25.00 from a local person I contacted on www.craigslist.com (Electronics for sale section).

All you need is a free program like "FileZ" and you can easily beam your entire Calendar, Contacts, Memo, Tasks, and other documents and applications from one Palm handheld to another Palm handheld.

As for printing, you can always email a Word or Excel document to a friend's computer to print from there. Maybe your local library might have internet access and a printer.
    Kenundrum,

I'm one of the few that are trying to lose the computer (desktop/laptop)! My reason: my laptop died on me! (I saved the hard drive). The Treo 650 is the best solution to ditching a computer (but not completely.)

See this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=lose+laptop

The main thing to keep in mind: having a back-up of your data is MANDATORY. (Backupbuddy is a solution I'm looking into.) I say this because after I installed my files from a T600 to a T650 (the wrong way)...a week later my T650 crashed due due an app conflict (Treo Shutter and Butler), had to a do a hard-reset AND get a new user ID! Thankfully, all of my PIM data was saved, except for categories in the memopad and contacts--as well as cal log, WEb URLs, and speed dial.

Still glad I have my Treo 600 to get me through the transition! It's gonna take more time to get back on track!
    ###
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    no it's not a replacement. Big screens, faster procs, printing, MUCH BETTER WEB BROWSING.

It is possible but you have to lower your standards way down.
    you hit it on the nail there

I actually use my Treo to take classroom notes sometimes ---- but the web browsing and WiFi usually make the laptop a requirement
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Kenundrum...you will adapt. Unfortunately, due to your situation, you will have to. I could have my laptop fixed right away, but I rarely used it. I chase kids around all day and could never stay in one place on the computer. I'm on Blazer all the time and have completely adapted to the difference from my laptop. I'm on Cingular so I'm able to receive and answer phone calls and SMS while on the web browser. It only takes seconds to answer an SMS and go back to my last webpage. The Treo really has been better, for me, because I need the mobility. I hope it works out for you, too...