Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anybody used the unlimited data mmode $24.99 on their Treo 650 from Cingular Blue?
    Quote Originally Posted by yipster222
    Has anybody used the unlimited data mmode $24.99 on their Treo 650 from Cingular Blue?
    $24.99? Hmm....pretty sure I'm paying $44.99. Ripped again by ATT!
    If you're paying 44 then you must be on their PDA net..

The other unlimited plan works, but don't tell them you have a Treo.
    Yes, I'm on the $25 plan. It works fine with the Treo.
    I haved the $24.99 plan and it works well, even in Europe (but there are high roaming charges). "Unlimited" only refers to the data you use with the phone. You can e-mail and surf with the phone to your hearts content. If you tether a laptop to it (via Bluetooth or USB), then they charge $0.001/kb or about $1/MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    I haved the $24.99 plan and it works well, even in Europe (but there are high roaming charges). "Unlimited" only refers to the data you use with the phone. You can e-mail and surf with the phone to your hearts content. If you tether a laptop to it (via Bluetooth or USB), then they charge $0.001/kb or about $1/MB.
    How would they know you have a laptop connected via Bluetooth?
    Hmmmm; just how many plans are there? I pay $40 a month, and understood it to be all I can eat for everything; media, email, internet connection, etc.
    Mike Caldwell
    I don't know how it knows, but I'm sure it does because I've tried it. I get charged extra if my laptop is attached.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone to come up with a creative communications application!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    How would they know you have a laptop connected via Bluetooth?
    They can sniff the ports you are using on the phone and charge accordingly. They may not be able to do this on all devices (for example, I never got charged with my SMT5600 tethered to my iPaq for browsing). But on some of the newer phones, especially EDGE phones like the 650 they are sniffing I am sure, or at least CAN sniff.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Unless it has changed recently, it depends on what you are doing on your tethered laptop. I have been doing email & http web browsing hours at a time using the $24.99 ATT MMODE unlimited plan tethered to my laptop via BT and cable and have never been charged a penny. If you do VPN stuff you will get charged. I've also used PDA Net and never been charged. I've been doing this for a year using 3 different handsets (currently a 650) previously a Nokia 6120 and a Audiovox 5600.

By any chance are you using ATT Connection Manager software on your laptop?

They have no idea what device I am using. When I log on to mymmode.com it says I am using an LG 4020.

I don't know how it knows, but I'm sure it does because I've tried it. I get charged extra if my laptop is attached.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for someone to come up with a creative communications application!
    MisterEd,

Who cares about data plans? I'm ready for PalmOne to give us MobiTV solution.

What's up?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Unless it has changed recently, it depends on what you are doing on your tethered laptop. I have been doing email & http web browsing hours at a time using the $24.99 ATT MMODE unlimited plan tethered to my laptop via BT and cable and have never been charged a penny. If you do VPN stuff you will get charged. I've also used PDA Net and never been charged. I've been doing this for a year using 3 different handsets (currently a 650) previously a Nokia 6120 and a Audiovox 5600.

By any chance are you using ATT Connection Manager software on your laptop?

They have no idea what device I am using. When I log on to mymmode.com it says I am using an LG 4020.
    Hey stranger. I had MobilTV on my Nokia 6620 for about a month. Total waste of money. Cute novelty for about a week then totally worthless. (IMO). Whose with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    MisterEd,

Who cares about data plans? I'm ready for PalmOne to give us MobiTV solution.

What's up?
    Whether or not you get charged may depend on exactly what plan you have and when you signed up. I know I get charged when I use PDANet. I also got charged with my old Nokia7210. I did use AT&T Connection Manager with the 7210, but don't use it with the 650. I've seen the small print that talks of the fees for thethered data and I've also talked to customer service reps about getting it removed, but no luck so far.

A rep at one of the old ATTWS stores even changed me last year from a voice plan with data, to a data plan with voice (same price for everything) saying that would fix it, but it didn't.
    I originally signed up with the SMT5600 and the $24.99 unlimited mmode handset plan, then switched to a Nokia 6620, then to a LG 4020 for a week while waiting for my 650 then to the 650. Never called them, just swapped SIM to the new handset. Never a extra charge.

Were you doing VPN or other "non-standard" stuff when you got charged add'l fees or anything other then HTTP or POP3 or IMAP? It's the port usage that triggers the exta charges. Anything other then HTTP or POP3 or IMAP will generally trigger fees. This has been tested and documented over and over on various other boards as well as here numerous times. They can't tell if you are using a laptop or a handheld to browse but they can tell if you are using non-standard ports. There is also some evidence that Connection-manager software "watches" what you are doing and reports back to home. I've never use CM on any device just the modem drivers that came with the handset itself and have never been charged.

Whether or not you get charged may depend on exactly what plan you have and when you signed up. I know I get charged when I use PDANet. I also got charged with my old Nokia7210. I did use AT&T Connection Manager with the 7210, but don't use it with the 650. I've seen the small print that talks of the fees for thethered data and I've also talked to customer service reps about getting it removed, but no luck so far.

A rep at one of the old ATTWS stores even changed me last year from a voice plan with data, to a data plan with voice (same price for everything) saying that would fix it, but it didn't.
    If you tether a laptop to it (via Bluetooth or USB), then they charge $0.001/kb or about $1/MB.
    That really depends on what kind of traffic you use on your laptop. My standard corporate VPN traffic gets billed with a surcharge, but normal email, web, and newsgroups do not incur any extra charge. In addition, I've found an alternative software approach to getting into my corporate network, and this second method does not trigger a surcharge. So at this point, I can do everything I need from my laptop without spending more than $25 on data.
    I'll have to try just surfing and see if I get charged. I have used my VPN every time since I need it to download my company's e-mail. It's the main reason I connect my laptop to my 650. What alternative software have you found? Does your IT department require use of a VPN?
    I'll have to try just surfing and see if I get charged. I have used my VPN every time since I need it to download my company's e-mail. It's the main reason I connect my laptop to my 650. What alternative software have you found? Does your IT department require use of a VPN?
    It's the main reason I do so as well, though occasionally I just need to surf the public internet. But mostly I need to get to my employer's intranet.

Yes, my company does require the use of a VPN, but we also support connection using Websphere Everyplace Connection Manager (WECM), and it appears that this kind of traffic does not trigger Cingular Blue's data surcharge. Actually, that makes sense since WECM is designed for use on wireless devices like Treos and PocketPCs. But WECM also runs on my laptop and can connect through the Treos' DUN. So now I can do pretty much everything I need without any surcharge.
    I currently have the "as you need it" Internet with my Nokia (pay .10/KB). In October my "handset upgrade" period starts and I want to get the Treo 650 (currently a Garmin iQue 3600 user). If I get the Cingular branded Treo, I can get it for the price of a new subscriber. My questions are....

1. Should I upgrade to unlimited MEdiaNet Internet ($25/month) before upgrading the handset?

2. Will Cingular automatically dump me into PDA net ($40/month) if I get my branded Treo 650 from them or should I just get an unbranded one from PalmOne (much more expensive in the short run) and not tell Cingular?

3. Also, my Nokia only uses the 32KB SIM....do I need to get the 64KB version first? Can I just go to the Cingular store and ask them for that? I tried my SIM card in my freind's unbranded Treo 650 and it worked....I tried it in my brother's Cingular 650 and it didn't.

Thanks for the feedback. I've already got friends and family using the 650s and I know that will be what I go for shortly.
    Last edited by o_town_racer; 05/27/2005 at 01:12 PM.
    Sounds like this is another case of Cingular being all over the map. I pay 39.99 for unlimited data plan - -and there is no other option from what they tell me.
    MediaNet doesn't work because of the way you are charged. People who use MEdiaNet may be the ones with the $2000.00 phone bills. . .

Who is the cheapest? T-Mobile???
    LOL! Thanks for the tip on MobiTV. I love the Who's With Me?-- Tag....
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Hey stranger. I had MobilTV on my Nokia 6620 for about a month. Total waste of money. Cute novelty for about a week then totally worthless. (IMO). Whose with me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast