Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Yesterday my earphones started only working on one side when listening to music. Today I tried to make a call and they can't hear me. Same thing on incoming calls. Does anyone think these two things are related? Is this a symptom of hte earphone jack gone bad problem? IF the earphone jack is broke could the Treo think that I have a headset plugged in and have the mic muted?

I have tried the original headset provided with the phone, the speaker phone setting, and the regular mic to talk. No luck. I exchanged a bad keyboard Treo in Jan at a Sprint store for this one. I purchased the original last Nov. How long is the warranty from Palm. I also have the Sprint insurance plan.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    I was in the middle of my reply when I realized you are referring to your 650 for which I now have to say, I have no idea.

I know this was a problem experienced in the 600 which caused me to scroll back up and see that you posted in a 650 thread. I am not aware of the 650 AND the 600 both having the dreaded earpiece/mic problem.

Wish I had a better answer for you.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    I had the same problem yesterday...(no mic and no volume from my speaker or the headset). I was really scared. But I turned off my phone and turned it back on and all was well. I know this is simplistic and may not address your problem, but I wanted to add my experience. Good Luck!
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I did a soft reset yesterday, but it did not fix it. I did a little more troubleshooting a fouind that my voice recoder worked, so it was not the mic that was bad. I got up and went to the Sprint store this morning. Before going in I tried it one more time and the mic was working. The stereo earphone was working now as well. Problem resolved it self or intermittent problem. Only time will tell.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    I had this problem start a few days ago. I noticed that a couple weeks ago my headset jack stopped working, but I didn't play with it too much or think too much of it. Then my top (ear) speaker and the mic stopped working. I can't even use my bluetooth headset which is really strange. And RealPlayer doesn't play out of the back speaker, but it does ring! I did a soft, hard, and zero out reset, but it still fails.

An advance exchange from PalmOne is on the way as this has to be a hardware problem.
    By any chance are any of you using VolumeCare? Version 2.18 with mic adjustments really screwed up my unlocked GSM 650.

The developer of VolumeCare only has a CDMA 650 and as such isn't able to test his app for full GSM compatibility. This is crucial when it comes to voice calls because they work very differently when it comes to this particular issue. Also, it seems it doesn't matter whether you use the mic sensitivity setting or not; it just "takes over" the current settings which you have.

Once that happens, you'll experience abysmal call quality. I've had people tell me that my sentences are consistently getting chopped off and that my voice sounds digitized. Some also complain that I sound as if I am constantly moving the phone near to my mouth and then pulling it far away. Some say a soft reset will fix the problem, but in my case, the problem still persists even after a hard reset.

My solution was to do a backup, reflash with the latest official firmware (since this will overwrite any *possible* changes VC 2.18 made), and do a complete restore.

I've a friend who I had called numerous times before to confirm the bad call quality and whom I also called immediately after the reflashing, said he could tell an immediate difference - call quality was perfect. BTW, he's also using an unlocked GSM 650 and he sounded crystal clear to me (which had previously made me extremely jealous).

So remember GSM users: lay off VolumeCare v2.18!

UPDATE: Jeff Gibson has shown tremendous dedication in developing VC for GSM users to the point that he has purchased a GSM T650 solely for this purpose. I am confident that future versions of VC will work as advertised and not display any of the symptoms described above.
    Last edited by rudychow; 07/10/2005 at 09:46 PM.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    By any chance are any of you using VolumeCare? The later versions with mic adjustments really screwed up my unlocked GSM 650.

The developer of VolumeCare only has a CDMA 650 and as such isn't able to test his app for full GSM compatibility. This is crucial when it comes to voice calls because they work very differently when it comes to this particular issue. Also, it seems it doesn't matter whether you use the mic sensitivity setting or not; it just "takes over" the current settings which you have.
    I did find a bug in the MIC settings and have fixed that in the lastest build V2.20.

I also ordered and have in my hands an Unlocked GSM Treo 650. I also validated VC on this platform today and that's how I found the bug in the code for the MIC adjustments.

Once that happens, you'll experience abysmal call quality. I've had people tell me that my sentences are consistently getting chopped off and that my voice sounds digitized. A hard reset will not fix the problem as it seems VolumeCare affects the firmware itself.
    Completely and utterly FALSE! I do not do anything with the firmware. I use only Palm One supplied and validated API calls to adjust the volume and MIC settings.

My solution was to do a backup, reflash with the latest official firmware (since this will overwrite the changes VC made), and do a complete restore.
    Again this is not true. VC does not touch ROM.

I've a friend who I had called numerous times before to confirm the bad call quality and whom I also called immediately after the reflashing, said he could tell an immediate difference - call quality was perfect. BTW, he's also using an unlocked GSM 650 and he sounded crystal clear to me (which had previously made me extremely jealous).

So remember GSM users: lay off VolumeCare!
    I am sorry you had a bad experience with VolumeCare. I can assure you that the quality of the product is very very good. It is even better now that I have a complete test lab with CDMA and GSM Treo 650's.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I did not have volume care at the time I had the mic problems. I have used it since and had no problems with it.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Jeff, I and other GSM users appreciate the work that you put into making VC totally GSM-compatible (even to the extent of getting a GSM 650 in addition to the Sprint 650 you already have). However, my comments in my previous post was just my deduction from my own personal experience with VC 2.18.

Prior to installing VC, no one had complained about my voice quality. After installing version 2.18, no matter how many hard resets I did mic performance was unacceptingly bad. Only after I reflashed it with the 1.13 update did things revert back to normal. Based on that, I came to the conclusion that VC did things to the firmware. If VC doesn't affect the firmware (or other things which do not get wiped after a hard reset) then how do you explain the continued mic problems even after a hard reset?
    Rudychow - I'm relatively new here, but I have to say, your post made some very unfair statements about VC and the developer. You did not make clear that you were guessing, you stated things as though they were facts.

I have learned an enormous amount about the 650 by reading about problems and possible fixes here on TC; but most people "question whether xxxx pgm is the cause" rather than make definitive statements and warnings based on a flawed supposition.

Did you run your problem by Jeff or other VC users to see whether anyone else experienced the same problem?

There are apparently users that have a similar problem without VC. There are GSM users with VC installed that don't experience the problem. I personally have found that the $9 I spent on VC has made my GSM 650 a much more usable phone than before.

I hope you find a solution to your problem, but I don't think making untrue statements about VC was fair to Jeff or helpful to others.
    By any chance are any of you using VolumeCare? The later versions with mic adjustments really screwed up my unlocked GSM 650.

Once that happens, you'll experience abysmal call quality. I've had people tell me that my sentences are consistently getting chopped off and that my voice sounds digitized. A hard reset will not fix the problem as it seems VolumeCare affects the firmware itself.

My solution was to do a backup, reflash with the latest official firmware (since this will overwrite the changes VC made), and do a complete restore.

So remember GSM users: lay off VolumeCare!
    No, I wasn't using this.
    Jeff, I and other GSM users appreciate the work that you put into making VC totally GSM-compatible (even to the extent of getting a GSM 650 in addition to the Sprint 650 you already have). However, my comments in my previous post was just my deduction from my own personal experience with VC 2.18.
    Thanks I do appreciate your support.

Prior to installing VC, no one had complained about my voice quality. After installing version 2.18, no matter how many hard resets I did mic performance was unacceptingly bad. Only after I reflashed it with the 1.13 update did things revert back to normal. Based on that, I came to the conclusion that VC did things to the firmware. If VC doesn't affect the firmware (or other things which do not get wiped after a hard reset) then how do you explain the continued mic problems even after a hard reset?
    I have no idea. There is nothing that I am doing that would last even beyond a *soft* reset let alone a hard reset. There are known issues with MIC's on the 650's. It is normally related to a faulty headset jack. There are a number of threads taking about this problem. Given that your problem lasted through a hard reset, I would ahve to say you may be having this problem. Perhaps you had used a headset after the re-flash and got the port working again.

I can make the following statement and be 100% held to the statement.

"I will never do anything in any application developed by GoTreo Software that is not fully within the API definition supplied by Palm. I will also never make changes to ROM or firmware. If there comes a time where one of my applications does divert from the Palm standard or makes changes to ROM of firmware, I will disclose exaclty what I have done."

Jeff
    I to had a problem with my mic and it was a hardware issue. therefore i am getting a replacement from sprint. Jeff and his software are very creditable and i'm sure my fellow vc users can agree with his response and the usefullness of his software.
    "Someone call the Whambulance"
    Photo Blog
    My Space
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictedToTech
    Rudychow - I'm relatively new here, but I have to say, your post made some very unfair statements about VC and the developer. You did not make clear that you were guessing, you stated things as though they were facts.

I have learned an enormous amount about the 650 by reading about problems and possible fixes here on TC; but most people "question whether xxxx pgm is the cause" rather than make definitive statements and warnings based on a flawed supposition.

Did you run your problem by Jeff or other VC users to see whether anyone else experienced the same problem?

There are apparently users that have a similar problem without VC. There are GSM users with VC installed that don't experience the problem. I personally have found that the $9 I spent on VC has made my GSM 650 a much more usable phone than before.

I hope you find a solution to your problem, but I don't think making untrue statements about VC was fair to Jeff or helpful to others.
    Well, look at it from my point of view. In my case:-

1. Prior to VC 2.18 I had great call quality.
    2. Post VC 2.18 the problems started.
    3. Problems persist even after a hard reset.
    4. Only reflashing with the palmOne firmware solved the issue.

If you were in my shoes, there is every possibility that you would have come to the same conclusion. My post wasn't meant to be slanderous, it was meant to help fellow GSM users. I wanted to avoid the possibility that a bunch of GSM owners would return their phone complaining and adding more fuel to the "Treo 650 call quality sucks" rumour.

By the way, before posting, I did research and find a couple of other VC users who exhibited the same problems. So my comments weren't totally unfounded. I believe that developers are humans too and do make mistakes. Even the the legendary CESD, developer of DateBk5, screws up on ocassion (just refer to the latest dbScan v1.9b fiasco).

All in all, I agree that my comments were a little unfair on Jeff's work. I apologise and have since edited my post. See here .
    Well, look at it from my point of view. In my case:-

1. Prior to VC 2.18 I had great call quality.
    2. Post VC 2.18 the problems started.
    3. Problems persist even after a hard reset.
    4. Only reflashing with the palmOne firmware solved the issue.

If you were in my shoes, there is every possibility that you would have come to the same conclusion. My post wasn't meant to be slanderous, it was meant to help fellow GSM users. I wanted to avoid the possibility that a bunch of GSM owners would return their phone complaining and adding more fuel to the "Treo 650 call quality sucks" rumour.

By the way, before posting, I did research and find a couple of other VC users who exhibited the same problems. So my comments weren't totally unfounded. I believe that developers are humans too and do make mistakes. Even the the legendary CESD, developer of DateBk5, screws up on ocassion (just refer to the latest dbScan v1.9b fiasco).

All in all, I agree that my comments were a little unfair on Jeff's work. I apologise and have since edited my post. See here .
    All,

I appreciate everyone's point of view here. But lets let this one die. OK?

I am more concerned about rudychow's Treo. There was a bug in 2.18 in the MIC code. This could very well have caused some of the sound quality problems you were seeing. But those problems would not have persisted beyond a soft reset. I have corrected those problems and have posted a new release today (v3.00). But I think there were multiple things happening here and one of them sounds like a transient hardware problem.

I also want to say that v2.18 was in the early access release side of my download site. Applications that are in this location are still in the process of being fully tested. It will not be uncommon for these releases to have a few remaining problems.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I appreciate everyone's point of view here. But lets let this one die. OK?
    I totally agree Jeff. Still love ya!