1.    #1  
    Is this for real? It implies an EVDO capable Treo 650 is on the way from Sprint.

http://evdo-coverage.blogspot.com/20...-treo-650.html

BTW, I have a Sprint EVDO PC card that I'm testing. It's quite fast, up to 1Mb/sec. Latency is consistently below 1 second, better than Verizon's 1.5-2 second latency. Unlike Verizon's EVDO card, Sprint's can also step down to 1X network if EVDO network not available.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Not exactly a sprint press release, but the premise makes sense.

I would hope that P1 takes advantage of some of the other shortcomings of the 650 and launches a fully revised unit with EVDO. The hard work is done, they just need to give us more memory, faster processor, and wifi in addition to the evdo and I would jump for it.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    sounds like a whole new phone - I wouldn't expect that anytine soon
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  4.    #4  
    It also claims GPS is built in.
    Actually, don't we already have this. It's not real "GPS" but the cellphone tower triangulization system. But it's been known to be called "GPS". Even my Samsung phone calls it this.

Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    It also claims GPS is built in.
    Well it is somewhat global to just a part of the globe and does provide a position fix. These systems do not have to utililize satellites, Whats the system that uses navigation beacons to provide a position? I forget but there are no satellites involved.
    The system just triangulates your phone's location between the towers since the towers' positions are known by GPS.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I think this is just going to be the beginning or the rumor season for the next Treo. It's obvious the next generation will have EVDO, so this isn't that much of a surprise to me.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    The Treo 650 is much more attractive.
    What are the chances that the function for EVDO is there and is just disabled like everything else?
    "Someone call the Whambulance"
    Photo Blog
    My Space
  11.    #11  
    ^not the case at all. EVDO is not software only. There is a significant hardware difference.

On built in GPS, there is A-GPS in the chipset that calculates off towers but not satellites. It's generally called LBS (location based services). Unfortunately, the APIs have not been released as far as I know. Licensing is also not cheap to develop for LBS, whereas there is no licensing for GPS.

It would be nice if the next Treo did have a full GPS chipset as well as CDMA-based AGPS. The new SIRF III GPS chipset is extremely low power.
  12.    #12  
    I would also like to see the next Treo with a 320x480 screen. I could work with a slide out keyboard, allowing more space for the screen. Or maybe if the buttons/d-pad were moved to the side of the unit, it would allow more space for a longer screen.

EVDO, built-in GPS and 320x480 screen with a 4GB HD would be beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    I would also like to see the next Treo with a 320x480 screen. I could work with a slide out keyboard, allowing more space for the screen. Or maybe if the buttons/d-pad were moved to the side of the unit, it would allow more space for a longer screen.

EVDO, built-in GPS and 320x480 screen with a 4GB HD would be beautiful.
    The pull out keyboard is exactly what I want too! I envision the same thing as the 650, but the keyboard/dpad/keys are part of the bottom slider portion that just pulls down to reveal more screen. really useful for schedules, reading etexts, and multimedia. But, I would prefer just 128M RAM instead of the HD. The Lifedrive reviews have confirmed that the speed takes a major hit with the HD installed instead of a RAM chip. memory cards are cheap and with 2GB capacity, there's plenty of room.
    you have just described the samung i730
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by citi
    you have just described the samung i730
    The i730 is PocketPC.... no hard drive, no 320x480, no gps, it's way thick but does have sliding kboard and EVDO.

Now if Palm would also release Cobalt.... I also want better multitasking and memory protection as PPC has.