Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestr
    I've had my new Treo 650 from Verizon for 2 days. I've visually measured a 2 seconds delay from the time I press the power button till the time the LCD comes on. I've tested this many times and at different press frequencies. 95% of the time there is a this 2 seconds delay. The other 5% is somewhere in between 0-1 second delay. Does not seem like it should be that slow.

Two seconds!?!?! That is a long time! I can see where someone could push the button again -- feeling it was being unresponsive -- and the second press actually tells it to shut down (before it actually fired up the screen.) Thus causing the owner to make a third press of the key.

As I said in my post #18 above, on the Sprint Treo 650 the delay is 1/4 of a second to a 1/2 at most on my unit. I still think this latency is causing people to hold the on button down too long or hit it again, causing the "off" command to be communicated to the system. In my testing -- holding the on button down did not power the unit up, even after release.

So, can we have more people test? "Click" the on button quickly and wait -- does this eliminate the problem of "unresponsiveness"?

As well, do other Verizon users have this 1 to 2 second delay in the screen coming on after pressing the on button? Do other Sprint users have the 1/4 second delay I have experienced?

Cheers, Perry.
    I have the same response issue. Sometimes I also need to yank the battery before I am back in business. I use bluetooth and Good on my Treo. Not much else in terms of apps really.
    I have lots of programs loaded (ZLauncher, Brightcam, PowerOn, Today, LEDOff, Crash, KeyCaps, STOIC, TakePhone, Twilight, etc., etc.). I thought maybe some of these programs are adding to the delay so I did a hard reset to set everything back to factory default. Of course, I only do this because I use BackupMan and I can restore everything back to the way it was before the hard reset.

Anyways, after the hard reset, I performed the same power off/on test over and over again. The longest delay was down to 1 second. Also note that BT is OFF and it was OFF in the test I metioned in the earlier post. Still, 1 second is pretty long. I remembered the Treo 600 that I had previously did not have this delay problem.
    i've noticed this problem before on my sprint treo 650. i haven't done extensive systematic testing, but i think it seems to be associated with bluetooth as others have pointed out, or maybe even more with BT DUN being enabled or in use or having been used in the current session. sometimes i'll have to wait up to a minute for it to wake up in this situation.
    Folks,

I have thought a lot about this issue, and think we are seeing a few related issues here. It seems to me like the GSM people are seeing different things from the Sprint people. But it all comes down to bad design on the part of Palm…

1) There is no question that when the Palm (600 or 650) is running programs in the background (push e-mail, etc), it just misses events. This will cause multiple button pushes. With the 600, when it came bike to life it was quick, the 650 needs to copy stuff in and out of that 10M of usable RAM from the NVFS. So the flashes / delays cause you to get confused and keep on hitting buttons.

2) The 650 uses the "keyguard" designed for the 600, but Palm should have redesigned this. On the 600, everything is in RAM, and the feature of switching to the app and then turning on keyguard was instantaneous (and convenient). With the delays built into the 650 because of NVFS, they should have made the keyguard never switch apps and just turn the phone on.

3) The phone app on the 650 is less responsive, more aggravating to use, and less consistent than the one on the 600. For example, getting to the call log is a nuisance, and on my 600 it was one click away. Also, us GSM folks have that issue of trying to dial calls, then the phone just returns to the phone screen (failing to dial the call).

4) Final issue: the 600 said “dialing” then “active” when the phone started ringing. The 650 says “dialing” when it is trying to connect or is ringing. Since it is so unreliable, you find yourself pulling the phone away from your head to see if it connected. But wait – on the 650, the screen may have shut off by then to save power.

All in all, the person who signed off on the 600 design did a much better job than the one who did the 650. I didn’t even get into the total crappiness of the Bluetooth headset interface...

Glenn

P.S. Have you ever had the headset on, and held the Treo to your other ear beacuse you are not sure when or if the call will be sent to the headset????
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler

P.S. Have you ever had the headset on, and held the Treo to your other ear beacuse you are not sure when or if the call will be sent to the headset????
    many many a times have i done that. it's so frustrating. Wish the 600 had the 650 LCD and camera. that would have been perfect.
    I just had the power-on problem. What a coincidence the day after I got a bluetooth headset (the Treo-branded one).
    I did notice one thing, when I was outside my house and my wifi network, it stopped.
    And now it's OK inside.
    I knew this phone was working too well!
    It's a combination of the NVFS and Bluetooth and crappy engineering on Palm One's part. This is a perfect example of too much engineering ruining the user experience. With 2 times the clock speed, the 650 is slower and more ackward to use than the 600.

The phone app was "enhanced" to give quicker access to the favorites, but is is a clunkier interface to use all around.

Glenn
    For those who use LEDOff and have the "In coverage" checkbox unchecked (In my case this is the only box unchecked, the rest remains checked). Anyways, this renders my LED most of the time off (as it should) and you will be able to see what I am going to describe now.

What I have noticed is EVERYTIME I power on, the LED flashes green (on then off) once before the LCD comes on. My old Treo 600 did not do this. It seems like the Treo 650 goes to search for something (network, signal or whatever?) or do something everytime the power button is pressed to turn the phone on. Can someone else comfirm this on their Treo 650 and if on a Treo 600, then confirm that it does not do this? Maybe this relates to the un-responsive problems we're seeing. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamestr
    For those who use LEDOff and have the "In coverage" checkbox unchecked (In my case this is the only box unchecked, the rest remains checked). Anyways, this renders my LED most of the time off (as it should) and you will be able to see what I am going to describe now.

What I have noticed is EVERYTIME I power on, the LED flashes green (on then off) once before the LCD comes on. My old Treo 600 did not do this. It seems like the Treo 650 goes to search for something (network, signal or whatever?) or do something everytime the power button is pressed to turn the phone on. Can someone else comfirm this on their Treo 650 and if on a Treo 600, then confirm that it does not do this? Maybe this relates to the un-responsive problems we're seeing. Thanks.
    jamestr, I have LEDOff with the same config as you do, the green LED does not flash when I power on.
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  11. rg1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    .....With 2 times the clock speed, the 650 is slower and more ackward to use than the 600.
    Glenn
    You keep mentioning this. Frequency is only one factor in performance. Intel has been known to up the frequency at the expense of performance on many of their designs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Two seconds!?!?! That is a long time! I can see where someone could push the button again -- feeling it was being unresponsive -- and the second press actually tells it to shut down (before it actually fired up the screen.) Thus causing the owner to make a third press of the key.

As I said in my post #18 above, on the Sprint Treo 650 the delay is 1/4 of a second to a 1/2 at most on my unit. I still think this latency is causing people to hold the on button down too long or hit it again, causing the "off" command to be communicated to the system. In my testing -- holding the on button down did not power the unit up, even after release.

So, can we have more people test? "Click" the on button quickly and wait -- does this eliminate the problem of "unresponsiveness"?

As well, do other Verizon users have this 1 to 2 second delay in the screen coming on after pressing the on button? Do other Sprint users have the 1/4 second delay I have experienced?

Cheers, Perry.
    That was from post #21

Anybody?
    I'm posting from my 650 so bare with me. I have been experencing this problem for a few mounths now. I believe the delay is caused by my push email application connecting to the network at the same time I press the power button. Normally it occures when signal is marginal. I'm certinaly a nonadvanced user however, I wanted to share my thoughts.

thanks
    This has happened to me since day #1.

I have been over this with a friend @ Sprint and it's a response time in hitting the button before the software can react....if I recall correctly.

Basically, if you turn off, or on, then wait a second or two, then do it, it should work.
  15.    #35  
    To answer post 21 and 32:
    I have tried waiting for the screen to come on after pressing and quickly release the power on button, I waited for about 10 minutes before i gave up and press the button twice again to power on the screen. it's not a normal delay. it just will not turn on most of the time with a single press.
    I noticed this problem after installing some programs to keep the keyboard off - the phone was making calls while in my pocket. I later decided not to use any of those programs (it was the bluetooth headset that was allowing it to happen) and I ended up doing a hard reset and reinstalling everything. Now the power key is quick and responsive again.
    Denise
  17.    #37  
    I guess there really isn't a direct cause to this problem besides Bluetooth being a big factor (altho not the only/main factor). I guess we can only hope the next firmware update wil remedy this problem for us. Until then, good luck to all.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I've noticed a similar phenomenon with my phone (Verizon 650 v1.01-VZW). It only happens with the Red button, only when turning the phone off, and usually only if the phone was just turned off (or went off automatically) and I try to turn it back on right away.
    I have noticed that when there is a data connection (using chatter I just got an email) and I delete or ok and try to turn off it doe snot always respond well. The other buttons seem to work (I can change categories with Home button, goto calc and the like) It is just the power off for me.
    Sprint 650 with 1.08...I also have this problem occasionally, but only after the screen has been automatically shut off. I have found pressing and holding to me ineffective with my phone in this situation. Again, this only happens when my Bluetooth is turned on (using Scala-500). Usually my only solution has been a soft reset, after which everything works great until the next time it happens.

I have also noticed that the connecting time has gotten tremendously worse with my phone and headset to the point where I must manually transfer the call using the side multi-function button on the Scala to get my headset to connect anymore. I have tried re-pairing (wow that is an odd wording ) with no luck.

I asked those wonderfully knowledgeable Sprint reps about any future updates to the firmware and he proceeded to direct me to a broken link.

I suppose I can live with this problem as it doesn't happen very often (1-2 times per week) but I hope that the next installment of firmware will miraculously fix all my problems.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast