Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Hi All,

Just wanted to voice my opinion of a recently purchased Scala 500. The voice quality was horrendous! I would often have to repair the headset, when I would talk everyone would either ask me to get closer to the phone (not the problem) or to get off the headset or call them back. I would hear them but not without major static. I would hear the static eitherwith the phone in my right front pocket or even with the headset right next the the phone with no objects in between the headset and the phone.

Major disappointment. The experience has soured me so much on bluetooth devices that I think I'll wait until I have a Bluetooth 1.2 device with compatible phone. I *may* try that Sony HBH-660 which seems to be universally given a thumbs up, especially when using the eargels. For now though I suspect I'll probably just stick with a wired headset. For what its worth, I know the Treo wasn't the problem because I had the exact same problems when I tried to use the Scala with my new Blackberry 7520.
    I picked up the 500 a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty comfortable and works pretty well - when charged! When it's fully charged the sound is significantly better, the connection time between the headset and phone sems shorter, etc, etc. Unfortunately the charger is terrible, so the unit hardly ever gets a full charge. The latching mechanism on the base doesn't work at all. So sometimes the head set gets a good charge and other times it doesn't making the headset virtually useless.

So I'll take suggestions on either a better BT headset
    or
    how to make the 500's existing charger more effective

-CD-
    I had a Scala 500. I agree: 1) It definitely works better when charged, and 2) Overall, I found it to be garbage. I bought an HBH-660 last weekend and couldn't be happier. I picked up the Jabra ear things (Slic Sounds didn't fit my ear right) and it is VERY loud and the overall sound quality is fantastic. There is no echo and no one knows I'm on a headset. Just my 2.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    I love my Scala 500 ----- great volume and sound --- and to me, the battery life is great

I haven't tried any of the Sony's yet --- the Moto's are absolutely horrible

the Scala 500 connects quickly and gives me good sound quality ---- I'm tempted to give Logitech and Sony a spin though
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    My scala 500 connects quicker than my treo bt hs. sound quality & battery life about the same. My HBH-660 works best out of them all, but has less battery life, and is not as comfortable as the scala 500. I cycle through them every week or so switching between them, do not think I will ever use just one bt hs.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    I just rec'd my Scala 500 and am much happier with it than the Moto HS820.
    the 820 would not pick up the dialing or connection unless i hit the MFB each time. Additionally, sound quality sucked w/ the moto. The 500 is much louder too.
    Just to throw in my thoughts - I had a Motorola 850 headset for my Treo 650 and it was marginal - sound was good, volume good but a lot of static at times AND the phone would not ring the headset or do an auto connect unless I pressed the button (and then only most of the time).
    I just got my Sony HBH-662 and right out of the box it is beautiful! No static, my treo rings the headset, it auto connects. I love it. I don't know if the 662 is the same as the 660. The instructions and Sony spec sheets are common. I don't think the 660 has caller ID with names; just numbers. I don't know if the caller ID actually works but it would be a little hard to check when it is hanging on your ear unless you happen to carry around a mirror.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdercraft996
    Just to throw in my thoughts - I had a Motorola 850 headset for my Treo 650.
    Powdercraft996, did you own a Scala 500?
    I've owned a motorola HS820, the Treo Wireless headset, the Plantronics M3000, and the Jabra BT200, and BT250, all of them were extremely disappointing.
    By far the worst were the Motorola's and the the Treo Wireless Headset, when i used those people on the other end were not able to hear me well. I even had the TWH replaced with another new one and I still had the same result. After buying the Scala I was pretty impressed. I still think it could be much better, but it is leaps and bounds better then the headsets I tested. I would have tried the Sony, but I'm on the phone all day and a 3 hour battery life (even though it is rated at 5) would not work for me. So for now it's the Scala 500 for me, until something better becomes available, or I decide I can deal with the lower battery life of the Sony and always keep a charger handy when I'm on the road.
    I have the Scala 500 and I have to repair it several times a day... am I doing something wrong? It is a trusted device!.

Thanks
    If you want sound quality, follow this thread.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=85233
    Quote Originally Posted by the worm
    I have the Scala 500 and I have to repair it several times a day...
    I'm wondering what you mean by "repair"... are you actually opening it up? charging it? playing with volume? re-pairing it? curious...
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    I'm wondering what you mean by "repair"... are you actually opening it up? charging it? playing with volume? re-pairing it? curious...
    no I will just have my headset in my pocket... assume that it is still paired w/ the 650 and then get a call but the headset is not paired so I have to use the phone even though BT is on and the headset is on (ie. neither turned off). Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the worm
    no I will just have my headset in my pocket... assume that it is still paired w/ the 650 and then get a call but the headset is not paired so I have to use the phone even though BT is on and the headset is on (ie. neither turned off). Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Do you notice anything funny about the lights on the headset? Flashing blue? Flashing red? Alternating red/blue? I'm wondering if the button is being depressed while in-pocket and possibly triggering the pairing mode?