1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 600 with T-Mobile and a Kyocera 7135 with Verizon (both Palm based). On each unit I can create a new network connection using "Wireless Dial-Up", which allows me to connect to my ISP via the phone's dial-up modem connection. This allows me to get email in remote locations where the carrier's high speed is not available. On my Kyocera, I can also teather the cell to my notebook and use it as a fax modem to send faxes.

Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party program that will allow me to use the Treo 650 as a Fax & Data Modem for apps on the phone?

I tried PDANet, but it only allows me to use the Treo 650 as a modem for my notebook PC. I want to use the Treo 650 as a standalone modem that will dial my ISP internally and retrieve em, web browse, etc, by using my cell minutes and cell apps. I hope I'm clear and that someone can advise me before I have to return the 650 and continue using my Kyocera.

Thks, Michael
    I am interested in the same thing. If I use the Treo as a bluetooth modem for my laptop, when it dials with Verizon does it use voice minutes? I will have unlimited nights and weekends, so this would be useful.
    Yes, the same here. Everyone is talking about the "bluetooth DUN" but how about the plain one? Is possible to call an ISP using a local phone number??
    If you use the phone as a traditional MODEM then it will use your voice minutes, note however, that your speeds will be severely limited. I believe 19,200 bps or slower, around 9600bps. It depends on the carrier. Using the "Bluetooth DUN" solution you will be connected with far greater speeds and will not consume your voice allocated cell phone minutes.

mpc67, to answer your original question, I'm not sure, but in the past I have used the IRDA port on the older phones to connect to a laptop over IRDA as a standard IRDA modem. Let me google around and hopefully I can provide some more useful information.
    Stumbled onto this, this looks like what you want to do:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=26677

The software is located here:
    http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/

Also, this just occured to me. You can use BT DUN like you are talking about. This enables the Treo 650 to act as a DUN/MODEM, however, in the phone number field don't put in the #777 or whatever number you would put in for your data service, instead put in the [Area Code]-NPA-NPXX number with your ISP's username/password. This should then connect using the Treo as a standard modem over bluetooth.

Don't use that software, that looks like something that's already included with Shadowmites BT DUN patch. You'll just need Bluetooth on the laptop/computer if you don't have it, else you may be able to use the above software to connect over IRDA.

I hope this makes sense.
    Can the Treo act as a wireless modem for itself. For example, using the method you described to make it a wireless modem for a pc, but make it a wireless modem for itself, so the treo can connect to the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaevergreen
    Can the Treo act as a wireless modem for itself. For example, using the method you described to make it a wireless modem for a pc, but make it a wireless modem for itself, so the treo can connect to the internet.
    I don't know for sure, but I can answer almost a 100% "No".