1.    #1  
    This is a new one,

I just had a Pioneer Avic N-1 Navigation/MP3/DVD/Stereo put in my car and had the audio shop run a cable with an 1/8" plug so i could use my treo to play mp3s through the car stereo.

When i plug just the L shape adapter that converts the 1/8" to the 1/32" size into the bottom of the treo, the music that comes out of the little Treo speaker becomes quiet (like it should when you plug in headphones) but the weird thing is, when you connect the 1/8" plug from the car head unit into the adapter, the stereo doesn't play the music, but the Treo's speaker starts playing the music again. As soon as you unplug the stereo plug, the music isn't audible again from the Treo.

It doesn't seem to be a bad connection issue, because if i hook up my earphones again to the adapter, everything is fine.

Anyone ever have this problem or have a solution?

Thanks,

Stevo
    Are you running this wire into a regular input connection at the rear of the head unit or is it connected to a 1/8 auxiliary input on the face?
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Are you running this wire into a regular input connection at the rear of the head unit or is it connected to a 1/8 auxiliary input on the face?
    I've been considering getting a stereo for my car with an auxiliary input. Some have it in front and some in back. Are there Treo-related issues to consider with one type versus the other?
    I have a similar issue when I unplug my headset to plug in my adapter to play music in my car. What works for me is to turn the screen on the Treo off then back on. You don't have to power it off, just turn the screen off and back on. I don't know why, but it works If this doesn't work you may want to have the installer take another look at what they did. I read somewhere (either here or on mytreo.net) that a guy was having a similar issue with the audio system on his motorcycle. I'll try to find it and post a link because I don't know what he did to resolve the problem.
    Here you go! It appears your issue may be more related to the hi-fi issue this poster had. A few people gave suggestions, but he never came back to post what actually worked. I suggest trying my troubleshooting idea which will cost you no money and no time and if that doesn't work then look into the ideas here.

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?topic=10076.0
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for responding.

I had the audio shop run a cable from the aux in the back of the unit. The Avic n-1 doesn't have any front inputs.

Note: when the Tech plugged in his ipod, the system worked fine and played the Metallica tune that was on his ipod just fine, but when i plugged in, just the music came out of my little treo speaker.

I did try the screen off/on and even plugged the adapter in before and after i turned the treo on, but no luck.

I will see if i can find the Seidio locally or see if my shop can easily install an adjustable resister to solve the problem. I'll try and post my findings...

Thanks,

stevo
    It is a problem with resistance. I do this too and use an in-line volume adjuster from Radio Shack between the adapter and line to the receiver. There are some previous threads about this, though they are old.

Apparently it changes the resistance just right so that the Treo thinks you are using headphones and turns off the speaker.
    yup, you need the radio shack inline volume adapter. I had to use it to use my tape adapter on my car.
    Hope you don't mind my jumping in. I just got my Treo 600 about a month ago. I recieved my 1/8 x 1/32 plug in the mail yesterday. I am having the same problem (sound still coming out of the Treo when powered speakers are plugged into a 1/8 plug). I had hoped to be able to listed to audio books but not quite yet. So let me make sure I get it right. If I purchase a inline volume adapter from Radio Shack this should take care of the problem?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Third vote for radioshack inline volume control. Works like a champ. It's an impedance problem and the volume control adds enough (or reduces enough) resistance so the Treo recongnizes there's a speaker on the end.

This is a standard issue that's been discussed a bunch. If you do a search you should be able to find the model number.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  11.    #11  
    Well, i ordered my Seidio adapter yesterday for $42 with shipping. Please tell me the Radio shack equivalent is like $72 dollars

I was thinking about trying Ratshack or Fry's but was a little concerned that the resistance of those items might not work where the Seidio seemed to be already tested and approved. Not a real big deal.

Thanks,

Stevo
    In addition to the Radio Shack hardware fix for this problem, I know a software fix.

It's a shareware program called Freedom from ToySoft. link here
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo4
    Well, i ordered my Seidio adapter yesterday for $42 with shipping. Please tell me the Radio shack equivalent is like $72 dollars

I was thinking about trying Ratshack or Fry's but was a little concerned that the resistance of those items might not work where the Seidio seemed to be already tested and approved. Not a real big deal.

Thanks,

Stevo
    Ummmm... So you don't want me to tell you the Radio Shack volume control costs $7?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  14.    #14  
    Well, got the Seidio adapter today and everything works fine. I'm not gonna go through the hassle of returning the adapter and buy the RS equivalent. I'll just suck it up and move on. I'm just happy i have tunes.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Best,

Stevo