1.    #1  
    Is there a way to import the personal email address book in Outlook into the Visor? Of course Outlook contact come in quite nicely, but I would get more utility out of the email tools in my VISOR if I could import Outlook's personal email address book from my computer at work.

Until I have quick access to these addresses, the email functions are a bit crippled for me.

George,

I'm going to assume that you are talking about a Personal Address book file (.PAB) that you've set up inside of Outlook instead of using the contacts folder inside of Outlook. The bundled Chapura conduit syncs to the contact folder which is part of the main Outlook program or .pst type file.

What you'll have to do is export your Personal Address Book (.pab) file as a text file out to your hard drive and then import it back into the main contacts folder. I am assuming that your Outlook program was initially set up as "Internet email and Corporate Work Group" email handler. It can be set up strictly as an Internet email handler and then you wouldn't have had a separate Personal Address Book.

If you are on a network at work and you don't want your Personal Emails available to eveyone else then you are goofed. The only way to get them into the Visor is through the main contacts folder.....unless you buy some additional software that allows synching to subfolders or specificed folders. Companion Link does have software that will sync to subfolders etc. but it'll cost you about $60 bucks.

I believe IntelliSync also have software that allows for sub-folder support but I've never used it.

Now I have a question? If you are not synching at work using Outlook but your synching at home using the Palm Desktop software then just export your .pab file at work as a .csv file to a floppy and then import it as a .csv file on your Palm Desktop software and your problem is solved. Be certain when attempting to import to the Palm Desktop that you've started the Address Book desktop application before importing otherwise you won't get .csv import option.

Hope some of this helps. If you have further questions etc and I can help then just send me an email. It's in my profile.

[Edited by RSGMOOSE on 10-07-2000 at 11:48 PM]
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Well, Moose Man, you gave a lot more detail that I would have given George. I think that he probably just wants to install PocketMirror, that comes on the Visor CD, onto his work PC to set up those conduits there. He can then choose to have synching on all Contacts, Memos, ToDos, Datebook or on specific ones.
    Originally posted by kalahari
    ...install PocketMirror... to set up those conduits...
    Unfortunately, PocketMirror still won't get him the Personal Address Book. The export/import exercise is the best option for that.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks to all for your replies.
    I have forgotten how helpful forums can be (this is more like the old Compuserve forum replies) since the Internet became the thing.
    I will try them and report back on how it went.
    Thanks
  6.    #6  
    I took a look at Outlook.
    Can not find an option to export the PAB file as a CSV or even a text file.
    I see these options are available in Outlook Express on my PC at home but not in the version of Outlook I use at work.

Maybe a newer version of Outlook might have that option.
    Ya Think?
    Any other thought?
    George,

Ok, which version are you running. I have access to 97, 98 and 2000. Also, try opening the address book by:

Control+Shift+B and then check under the File menu and you should see an Import/Export feature.

If your system at work is on a Network - your system administrator might have to allow you access to the export feature because the PAB file is probably stored on the network. If your using Outlook 97 the PAB file might be nested within Microsoft Exchange and accessed that way rather than as mentioned above.

Send me an email at rsgmoose@msn.com and let me know if you want a little more expediancy then the forum. I will be out on Monday till about 2:00PM Pacific time but willing to help after that.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I thought I had George on the right track yet I've come up dry. We've been unable to get the PAB file to export. It can be copied to any location but can't be configured into the main contacts folder.

I've tried opening a PAB in various other programs and get nothing but garbage (hex) file.

I've even looked at opening the PAB in Outlook Express and then exporting back to a text file but that's no good because O.E. won't import the PAB either.

Please review and see what the rest of this fine group might be able to do in order to get the pesky PAB file into some export/import function so George doesn't have to hand enter all of his personal email addresses.
    Moose Man

Try this:

Create a new Outlook folder (which will contain Contact items)

Then use Import/Export under the File menu to "Import a file from another program or file" (import the PAB into this new folder)

Then use Import/Export under the File menu to "Export to a file" (export the new Outlook folder which now contains the PAB records to a CSV file)

Import the CSV file into the Palm Desktop software

Hotsync

Hope this helps!!