Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you want to be heard on the other side of the phone convo, a boom mic is a must. Specifically a boom with noise-cancelling. I'm talking about being heard clearly in most conditions (windy, noisy, low volume).

I am (was) a software tester by trade, and I habitially test all products I buy. I've run extensive tests with the following headsets (see below) and the difference in sound quality and volume on the OTHER SIDE of the call was significantly improved with the full boom mic versions.

Many may not care what they sound like on the other side of the call, as long as it can generally heard and understood. I do.

With that said...here's a pic of my current favorite, the Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset (Amazon link) (really needs a model name).
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the older version, there's a new one now Logitech Mobile Pro Bluetooth Headset (Amazon link).

I've tried about 6 different bluetooth headsets with my Treo 650 (most of the board's favorites), and I've come to the conclusion that a boom is a must if you want to be heard in any environment.

Is it a vanity/fashion thing that people like the smaller, non-boom headsets? A classic case of form over function? If so, I can understand...that's just not my choice.

Let agree that talking on a headset already looks weird, and a wireless one even more so. I actually prefer to have a more obvious headset (within reason) so at least it's obvious (except from one side) that I'm talking on one.

What's your take?
    So I want a BT headset with the best sound quality. I thought that this looks best as it has the longest boom. You actually have this, right? And you have tried others, right? I am a business type who makes 40 or so calls a day in the office, in the car, walking to the car walking down the hall etc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichNY
    So I want a BT headset with the best sound quality. I thought that this looks best as it has the longest boom. You actually have this, right? And you have tried others, right? I am a business type who makes 40 or so calls a day in the office, in the car, walking to the car walking down the hall etc.
    Right and right, Rich.

I feel very comfortable recommending this one if the sound quality on the other end is of importance to you. Not to mention that it syncs immediately on incoming calls and outgoing are routed quickly as well. Also, in my experience (regular usage, not across the room from the phone) it rarely if ever has the "bluetooth static".
    Sprint Treo 650 with v1.12 & Custom ROM.
    How long does it take to turn on and off the device? How's the weight? How secure is it when walking? I have trouble imagining how the clasp holds. How is it in noisy environments? It sounds like from the boom I should have no problems being heard, even in a very noisy colo facility, but would I have any chance of hearing the other side? With that foam-type earpiece, it seems there'd be no option of using an eargel to increase the volume.

Just curious about the details.

Does the redial function work?
    The regular Freedom headset on my Treo 600/Jabra A210 turned itself off after an hour or so of inactivity - does it happen with this one?

Ben
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    On Amazon the reviews mention that if you rotate the boom too much it could break or cause you only to hear but not be heard by the other party. Is it easy to rotate the boom farther than its supposed to?
    curious to how it compartes to SOny Ericsson HBH-300

http://www.mphone.co.uk/acatalog/hbh-300.jpg
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I'll agree that a boom mic certainly helps as far as the user being heard. I'd be interested in hearing how this headset works with the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    curious to how it compartes to SOny Ericsson HBH-300

http://www.mphone.co.uk/acatalog/hbh-300.jpg
    yeah eh

I like that one and the Logitech Pro. The HBH-300 is 1.1 (which i dunno why it bothers me) and the logitech one is expensive..however i know I can get a refund
    finally a bluetooth headset with a boom? I use www.theboom.com the best headset to be heard hands down, but wired. I've been at amusement parks, in crowded trade shows having conversations where people think I'm in my office.

I want a boom bluetooth. People claim the palm HSW bluetooth has good noise canceling, but I can't believe it can be that good if the mic is not near your mouth. I can't wait till there are some reviews.
    I had a Boom with Treo 600. Helluva headset. Although the HBH-300 isn't quite on par with it, it is sufficiently close that I went BT
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    at my computer store i can get teh Logitech PRO for 89CAD (MSRP is 134.99CAD). So I am going to order it today when I go out to do some chores (LOL liquor store and best buy LOL). They do have a refund policy, and I have done tonnes of business with them so I'm very liked Hopefully the foam pad and such wont have an affect on my verdict of this headset
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jshrieve
    How long does it take to turn on and off the device? A few seconds. How's the weight? Less than an ounce. How secure is it when walking? As good as it gets. I have trouble imagining how the clasp holds. How is it in noisy environments? Fine It sounds like from the boom I should have no problems being heard, even in a very noisy colo facility, but would I have any chance of hearing the other side? Not as loud as an eargel, but loud enough for me. Might be bad if you have difficulties hearing. With that foam-type earpiece, it seems there'd be no option of using an eargel to increase the volume.

Just curious about the details.

Does the redial function work? No (unless I don't know what I'm doing)
    Answers inline ^^^
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    The regular Freedom headset on my Treo 600/Jabra A210 turned itself off after an hour or so of inactivity - does it happen with this one?

Ben
    No. I've never seen it turn itself off.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal
    On Amazon the reviews mention that if you rotate the boom too much it could break or cause you only to hear but not be heard by the other party. Is it easy to rotate the boom farther than its supposed to?
    I saw those reviews and honestly, I don't know what they are talking about. The boom rotates all the way back to a "tucked" position, with the mic over the earpiece (for storing)...but only in ONE direction. If you try to rotate it the other direction, it will go slightly past parallel then stop. You have to be quite a dolt to try to force it past that point, when you know it goes freely in the other direction.
    In practice, I haven't found that there is a BT headset that properly handles conditions such as noisy environments. I have myself used a few -- not as many as some -- but have actually come to find the Cardo Scala 500 a decent compromise. I've actually had conversations in the car with the driver's window down at up to 50 MPH and had people report that while they could hear something like a waterfall in the background, whenever I spoke *I* was what they heard.

I do admit, though, that the over-the-ear pod-type sets don't seem to give as good listening experience. My favorite for this was the Jabra BT250, with the little gel that stuck into your ear. But while it did give better audio, I found myself wanting to rip it off after talking on the phone for a while -- kind of disoriented to have one ear plugged and not hearing ambient sound. So... again with the compromise.

YMMV
    I recommend Logitch mobile Pro bluetooth headset. Have it for a month now, and all other headsets I have are going as gifts or in closet. Very good battery life about 7-8 hours with one charge, very good sound quality incoming and outgoing. Love it.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Yeah but ..
    The customer reviews on Amazon about logitech BT headset are disappointing and average at the best.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Yeah but ..
    The customer reviews on Amazon about logitech BT headset are disappointing and average at the best.
    C'mon man (or woman)...please tell me you aren't that simple-minded. Take those reviews with a grain of salt. They are very helpful as a starting point, but nothing beats first-hand experience. That's what I speak from on this topic.

Now, I can see why a person with an interest in selling product would pump their own product in reviews...as well as discredit the competition. It seems to actually work.
    Quote Originally Posted by CognizanT
    C'mon man (or woman)...please tell me you aren't that simple-minded. Take those reviews with a grain of salt. They are very helpful as a starting point, but nothing beats first-hand experience. That's what I speak from on this topic.

Now, I can see why a person with an interest in selling product would pump their own product in reviews...as well as discredit the competition. It seems to actually work.
    You do have a valid point . I read customer reviews more than expert review. Expert reviews are biased, specially web based .There are 28 customer review for logitech headset. It is difficult to believe that other BT providers arranged for negative reviews, to put this product down.
    You may be one of those happy five star reviewers ,but there are others with one , two and three stars. I have to pay attention to those before submitting myself to buy my 3rd BT headset.
    Hopefully this thread, more than Amazon will help me in making that decision.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast