Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    So, are any of you using the LMP in noisy environments like NYC streets? I've tried wired headsets that didn't make the grade out there on the streets. I'm interested in hearing your experiences with the LMP. Thanks
    I haven't tried the new york streets yet. I'll be out there in 2 weeks. However, I can tell you the only one that makes the grade for NYC streets is going to be www.theboom.com which is wired. But I can tell you that I've had many calls walking in times square and no one knew where I was. I highly doubt any bluetooth headset will be able to handle that call.

Simply because the boom mic itself on the LMP or plantronics is still at your cheek, not in front of your lips, which would make the world of the difference. They are still going to pickup a lot of the background noise. The reason the www.booom.com was so good was the mic was right in front of your mouth, that and their awesome noise cancelling hardware/software??

Another day with the plantroncis, and I'm starting to really like it. Mostly because of the small convenient size of it compared to the logitech.
    Has anyone thought about the fact that theboom doesn't require a battery? In theory, what would provide the power to the DSP? I'm starting to wonder if it isn't just a pretty good boom mic (w/o noise cancellation) and a lot of great marketing. Mind you, I have one and I really like it, but I wanted to throw this question out to the informed readers of this forum.
    I think that there is a small amount of power drawn from the headset jack to power the dsp of theboom. The circuitry is pretty small, and I would think the power requirement is tiny. But there is huge differences between headsets and I don't think the marketing is making it as good as it is. There is definitely some hardware/software making theboom as good as it is.
    alright, another day with the voyager 510. I finally got to do some road testing in the car. I have a 98 infiniti i30t. Not the newest car, so it doesn't have the great noise dampening interior as most newer cars today. I still get some road noise. So i called my wife first going about 75mph she said she could hear the road noise, and could tell I was driving. I have since returned my friends logitech mobile, but I do know that the many times I used it in the car, everyone said that they could not or could barely hear the road noise.

When I called my good friend who is using a jabra 250 with his nokia, he said he could tell I was in the car, but he could very clearly hear my voice. The "tinny voice" that everyone said they heard was more accurately described by him as a high treble voice. Imagine an equalizer where the bass is turned down a few notches and the treble up. Not bad, just a a little brighter. But all in all he said it sounded good.

Now, maybe it's just that my expectations of noise cancelling are www.theboom.com so I'm just picky. I have no idea how anyone could even think the Treo Wireless Headset even has any noise cancellation, but then again if you are comparing it to dangling wired headsets, I'm sure it's good. But when I tried the TWH, the static was horrible and there was absolutely no noise cancelling. I would say the logitech has better noise cancelling than the plantronics, but not by a huge margin. Maybe 15%, depending on the situation.

The plantronics though, thru a day on sales calls, in and out of the car, thru parking garages, sidewalks, walking around. I must say, having it small and sleek just outways so much. And the fact that there seems to be no static ni 9/10 calls. Whereas the logitech was about 7/10 calls. Static being the popcorn static sound if the phone was more than a few feet. This of course I know is due to the 650's bluetooth issues, and bluetooth 1.1.

The range of the plantronics was pretty good as well, I was on the phone with a friend and I left the phone in the center console, I got out of the car and walked into the dry cleaner, easily 30 feet and then realized as static picked up into the call that I left the phone in the car.

I also realized that I charge my 650 and therefore my bluetooth headset everynight, so the difference between 6hrs for the plantronics and 7hrs for the logitech is pretty irrelevant for me. It is nice to know I could go 1, maybe 2 nights without charging though.

One thing about the plantronics of which I'm hoping to find a better solution for is the windsock. It's kind of bulky, and I know will eventually slip off and I'll lose it. I'm thinking some tacky non-permanent glue. You know the stuff they stick credit cards and gift cards to post cards? Where the heck can I get some of that? I think that'll keep the windsock on.

I know, I'm dragging on the bottom line choice between the two. I'm sure that you can tell with the iterations of my postings that I'm leaning towards the plantronics. Mostly because of fit and size.

The connect times are definitely slower on the plantronics than the logitech. I find myself saying hello twice, the first time where it hasn't connected yet, and again when I finally get the confirmation tone that I'm connected.

The almost perfect headset would be a hybrid of the two. The style, size, charger of the plantronics, the quicker connection, battery life, noise reduction of the logitech.
    I have done a "wind sock" on my Motorola HS850 and it worked real well - finally got tired of gluing it back on. I then sent with heavy tape and have not looked back. Ben
  7.    #87  
    I quoted from another thread since this one has more traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by CognizanT
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    I just today got a Logitech Mobile Pro and it seems the volume on my end is not very loud even with it and the phone turned all the way up. Is that your experience also?
    You know what...I did notice that. Strange because, I do not remember loudness being a problem with the older Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset (the BT v1.1 one, model #980179-1403).

Maybe I'm dilusional, but I'm going to get another Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset and test them simultaneously. That will settle that.

I'll post my findings. http://discuss.treocentral.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
    I finally have both versions simultaneously and I can conclude that to my ears...

The Logitech Mobile Bluetooth Headset (the older, nearly identical BT 1.1 model) is louder on the highest setting than the Logitech Mobile Pro.

This confirms my previous thoughts on the older version being louder. It also confirms which version I'll settle down on.
    Last edited by CognizanT; 07/12/2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added bolding and color so it won't be missed.
    Sprint Treo 650 with v1.12 & Custom ROM.
    nm... i went to their website and it answered my battery question

(note to self - research before posting )
    Last edited by ronin4740; 07/13/2005 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Logitech website answered question...
    I actually thought this thread was an ad for theboom mic from theboom.com. You could find/replace Logitech for theboom. Its gotta a cord, but there isn't a headset out there that sounds as good as this thing. 200 bucks of communication confidence I tell ya'. My 2 year old can be screaming "Daddy" and my callers never know it, great in the minivan.

A bluetooth headset by theboom would be worth another 200 bucks.

Derek
    Ok, so I'm back 3 more days with the plantronics. And guess what? I'm starting to use www.theboom.com again when I'm at home. The plantronics picks up static, I think it's 802.11b wireless static, of which I blame the treo given it's bluetooth 1.1 and if it was 1.2 we would have frequency hopping.

The noise cancellation is ok, but not great. Hours upon hours and lot of different people, I do get the occasional "what?, I didn't understand what you said" The background noise outside and car makes it difficult.

I hate to flip flop, but I think the logitech, which I ordered my own and should be here in a few days will go back on my ear.

I did email theboom and they said they are working on a bluetooth version of it!! Woohoo, but it won't be out till winter. which of course usually means next year. One thing though, they said they are sticking with the same form factor. Which is really really big. I hope they rethink that. If the plantronics, which I know believe is a great design, probably the best with a boom for bluetooth, had a longer boom mic and better dsp noise cancellation it would be the keeper.

That said, I just wanted to let people know my love fest and honeymoon with the plantronics is not so hot anymore. Give me a couple more days.

But for now, friends get to talk to me on the plantronics. Clients have to talk to me on theboom.
    I hope the bluetooth version on the boom is going to be more durable, I am on my 3rd boom, luckily covered under their one year warranty.
    yeah, i did go thru a few booms myself. apparently they are now on a 4th revision. I think they said they worked out some kinks. but they've always been great customer service.
    O.K. folks; if a geezer with poor hearing is buying one of these BT headsets, which would it be?
    if bluetooth. I'd say the plantronics as it's in your ear. if wired. theboom. but i guess any now since there's an app/hack that boosts the volume of your phone. do a search on the forums.
    anyone compare the scala and the plantronics? I have a friend who's making me pick one for him.

After a few more days with the plantronics, I lost the windguard. I have one extra, but am going to have to figure out how to keep that windsock on when I pull it in and out of my pocket.

I'm on the road for a week, hotel, rental cars, etc.. I think I have it narrowed down to this decision, which is...

Logitech for in the car use. Great noise cancelling, and clips to the visor. I keep the plantronics in my pocket, and use it anywhere when I'm not in the car. It isn't all that great outside though, as it picks up wind a lot without the sock.

I have both paired to the treo. When I get in the car, I push the multifunction on the logitech, which activates the screen on the treo, thus locking it in for use at that moment. if i want to switch to the plantronics, I hit the multiuse on the plantronics and it turns on the treo, thus locking that one. If I forget to do it, whichever i want to use, I just cancel the bluetooth on the treo, then hit the multifunction on the headset I want to use.

I know, no perfect headset. The main reason is that the logitech is too bulky. and the plantronics noise cancellation and sensitivity to wind is not that great.

The scala looks small, but reviews are all over the place. I might test out a friends scala on saturday and compare. I like that it looks like it would fit in your pocket easily.
    update:

Another week, hundreds of minutes on the plantronics.

Pros: size, portability, and volume.

cons: picks up a lot of external noise. Noise cancellation is not that great.

I ended up using scotch tape to tape on the windsock onto the plantronics as it kept coming off in my pocket. It is absolutely needed, or else, just a slight breeze will cause a lot of wind noise for the person on the other end.

I found that I use the plantronics in a quite room. And when I'm in my car, or a noisy environment, I use the logitech.

By the way, I put this up against my friends Jabra 250, wow, it is very similar, in fact, the goose neck on the plantronics is identical ot the jabra. I like the plantronics design better with the rotating boom mic.

Again, if the logitech was smaller, or the plantroncis had a faster connect time and better noise cancellation, we'd have a winner.

I'm leaving the logitech clipped to my rear vew visor, turned off in the car. Around the house I use the plantronics, unless the in room air conditioner is on, then I utilize the wired www.theboom.com

the search continues... but for now, these are the 2 best headsets for their own reasons.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I'm really curious what your opinion would be of the Logitech Mobile Freedom since you've done such a great comparison of these other two headsets. I have the LMF and am happy with it. Only $40 at amazon. http://tinyurl.com/dw9jp
    I read mixed reviews on the logitech mobile freedom. What's your assessment. static, connect time, wind noise, noise cancellation, comfort?

A friend of mine got the plantronics, and called me on it. Same guy who had the logitech mobile that I borrowed. Well, in his porsche 911, doing 80mph, with the plantronics, i couldn't hear the engine or car noise. Which absolutely stumped me.

I was also on my plantronics headset talking to him at the time. I don't know if that particular tone got cancelled out, but it sounded pretty good.

Now when I was on a call with another friend, he was in a very noisy background and said my side was breaking up and choppy. When I switched to the handset it went away. I think the plantronics is not a full duplex headset. but just a theory.

I deleted the profile on the plantronics yesterday and repaired it today, I don't know if that will make a difference, but we'll see. Love the form factor and charger. Just wished people said I sounded better.

I was in the car yesterday and switched from the plantronics to the logitech. My friend said "wow" there's a big difference, you sound much better.....
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone
    I read mixed reviews on the logitech mobile freedom. What's your assessment. static, connect time, wind noise, noise cancellation, comfort?

A friend of mine got the plantronics, and called me on it. Same guy who had the logitech mobile that I borrowed. Well, in his porsche 911, doing 80mph, with the plantronics, i couldn't hear the engine or car noise. Which absolutely stumped me.

I was also on my plantronics headset talking to him at the time. I don't know if that particular tone got cancelled out, but it sounded pretty good.

Now when I was on a call with another friend, he was in a very noisy background and said my side was breaking up and choppy. When I switched to the handset it went away. I think the plantronics is not a full duplex headset. but just a theory.

I deleted the profile on the plantronics yesterday and repaired it today, I don't know if that will make a difference, but we'll see. Love the form factor and charger. Just wished people said I sounded better.

I was in the car yesterday and switched from the plantronics to the logitech. My friend said "wow" there's a big difference, you sound much better.....
    I have been using the Logitech Mobile Pro (not Freedom) for a month at least and I am VERY happy with it. The only wind noise I ever get is when the airconditioner in the car is hitting my face, so I always point the vents at my abdomen or away from me when I am using the headset. Battery life is phenomenal, volume is great, controls are easy to use, and it is easy to put on with one hand. The delay in switching on is slightly more than my old Moto, but I don't miss any conversation. After a while my ear gets tired, but that is no different than the others. It folds up and fits in my pocket. The charger is kind of big for travel, but I have traveled with it and on short trips I don't even bring it since the battery life is so good.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast