Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The interface is bad, but it doesn't crash and it switches calls flawlessly. The push email rules and I hate to say it, but I'm happy I've ditched my Treo650.

The Blackberry 7290 blows it out of the water.
    No problem, but just realize that BB has no lock on the concept of push email. Just takes a server, like the BES (or some cobbled together solution of Chatter and idle command and fastmail/whatever all that is). I get my email pushed out to me all the time.
    Good luck though.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I have treo and bb. Both work great! BB is good for email and calendar. Treo plays movies, has way more apps and plays MP3s. BB is email only and some corp. apps work well. Individuals should go for Treo because it does more. BB is easier to learn and use.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpb
    I have treo and bb. Both work great! BB is good for email and calendar. Treo plays movies, has way more apps and plays MP3s. BB is email only and some corp. apps work well. Individuals should go for Treo because it does more. BB is easier to learn and use.
    Yeah, I agree. I had the BB 7280 and traded for the Treo650. Never looked back. If you only need push email and a great keyboard, go for the BB. Otherwise, go Treo.
    If you only need push email and a great keyboard, go for the BB. Otherwise, go Treo.[/QUOTE]
    This is basically what it all boils down to except for the fact that some companies don't support the treo. My wife has a bb and she's quite happy with it but all she does is make calls and email so the treo would be a complete waste for her..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    I think it probably would be a waste for a while but once you got comfortable with it...then the sky is the limit.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I trialed a 7290 for three days in preparation for the release of Sprint's 7250 (same device, but 7250 is CDMA/7290 is GSM). I agree with the email and call switching advantages, but I would add there is a HUGE difference in the Bluetooth operations. With my Treo I have limited range (typically 5 feet) before degradation, and my HS850 is really quircky - sometimes I can pick up a call, sometimes I can't. HOWEVER, the 7290's Bluetooth operation was unbelievable. Immediate response from people was that the headset calls were much clearer than usual, and I found I could freely roam the office (once up to 50 feet) without needing my phone in hand. Finally, the HS850 rang with incoming calls, and was much quicker and smoother to pick up.

I chalk this up to one major difference -- Bb is Industrial Strength, Treo is not. Before you flame me for being a Bb lover - I'm still using my Treo until Sprint releases the 7250. Both have their advantages, so here is my list of advantages for each...

Blackberry advantages:
    - call handling & switching
    - push mail is seemless with BES
    - keyboard is easier to use
    - bluetooth is awesome
    - construction is more solid (materials included)

Treo advantages:
    - screen is significantly better
    - contact navagation is easier from phone app
    - obviously more programs to customize your experience
    - single button access to key programs is nice

Just my quick list. I'm a business connection user, so push mail won't be what drives me away. But what probably will is the bluetooth functionality (very dissapointed in Palm on that) and the quality of construction (Treo's plastic chips and looks less professional). My $0.02...
    KitMoni
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I have had BB's several times over the years (first one was in 2001). I really just don't "get it" when it comes to them. My last one I used for a week between when my T600 got too buzzy for a proper telephone conversation, and when I broke down and bought a T650. I hated the bluetooth - it couldn't voice dial. The key "pad" (I had a 7100) was so counter-intuitive to me. I could never navigate to the programs I wanted easily.

I guess it all comes down to "different strokes for different folks" - otherwise there wouldn't be both BBs and Treos <g>.

Danita
    www.caledonia.net
    My wife's firm is dropping palm support & going exclusively to BB. She's trading her Tungsten/c for a BB 7290.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    What got me interested in the Treo was when they got the blackberries at work. Beautiful "all in one" devices with a keyboard would be great for me (for personal, not work) But when I did research I found that the BB was limited in what it could do, and I don't think it's software library can compare to Palm's (but I could be wrong) I think they both have features that, depending on what you need, make one better then the other. For enterprise size organizations I would have to recommend the BB because of BES, but for personal or smaller office I think the Treo has a lot better options.

Just my two uninformed cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman
    What got me interested in the Treo was when they got the blackberries at work. Beautiful "all in one" devices with a keyboard would be great for me (for personal, not work) But when I did research I found that the BB was limited in what it could do, and I don't think it's software library can compare to Palm's (but I could be wrong) I think they both have features that, depending on what you need, make one better then the other. For enterprise size organizations I would have to recommend the BB because of BES, but for personal or smaller office I think the Treo has a lot better options.

Just my two uninformed cents
    More informed than un.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    blackberries definitely look pretty slick. I like their build quality a lot. however I could never leave my treo 650. I'm hooked.
    but I have to laugh. I sat next to a blackberry user on a plane a week ago, and it was hilarious!

this young man had his BB in his hand the ENTIRE flight... always typing away at something or scrolling through emails over the entire course of the flight.
    then he took a short break and whipped out his laptop and furiously typed away on that - all the while acting as if these operations were of utmost secrecy - blocking his screen from anyone's view as if we were all hanging on his every last typed word! I mean, Puleeze! Aren't WE important!
    the moment, I mean, THE moment the captain permitted wireless devices to be used again - BANG! This guy fired some inane, unnecessary call to someone!
    my wife and I were laughing our tails off! I know now why the term - "crackberry" was coined. exhibit A sat right beside me on that flight!
    but getting back to topic here, I have found BB's to be very, very nice business devices. never owned one, but I am sure the push email, keyboard style and call quality would certainly be understandable reasons to be
    hooked on them. I can see why businesses would favor them.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    blackberries definitely look pretty slick. I like their build quality a lot. however I could never leave my treo 650. I'm hooked.
    but I have to laugh. I sat next to a blackberry user on a plane a week ago, and it was hilarious!
    I pretty much agree with evryone's assessment here regarding BB vs a Treo, but I gotta comment here on vw2002's post. I travel about 40 weeks a year and I'm constantly finding myself seated next to "business people" exactly as described. It's gotten to the point that it is absolutely hilarious as vw2002 said.

Some of these people can't even take at least a minute or two to eat a snack or drink something without having either a BB or laptop open perusing thru emails, working on SS, or docs. And worst of all they get offended if I even appear to be interested in what they are doing. Give me a break! I could care less. I'm just astounded at their intensity.

I cannot understand this. I'm a business person too with lots of schedules to juggle, preparations to make for upcoming meetings or events, and lots of calls to make. But I'll be darned if I'm going to try and do all that while on an airplane!

On my last flight to LA there were probably 300 passengers. As soon as the wheels touched the ground on arrival, I'm guessing about 200 cell phones lit up, BB's included! What have we come to?

Sorry about the rant. Couldn't help myself.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    brother, do I hear ya! I think this behavior should be spoofed on saturday night live or madTV or something, because rather than impressing others, these BB madcaps pretty much bring ridicule to themselves. all kidding aside.
    I'd be embarrassed to behave that way with my treo in front of others - heck, I usually conceal my treo when on a plane unless I pull up e-reader or bejeweled for a distraction or so in which case I try doing so discreetly, but I'm not behaving like THAT guy did, I mean even other people around him were making comments as well.
    about these "business people" acting offended when you even glance their way as they are "crackberrying", I couldn't agree with you more. In fact I actually laughed when I read your post because that was precisely how this young man was behaving around us!
    I think its a pathetic way to act - especially as a... ahem... "business person" ... .
    lol. well, I too, am sorry for my rant as well here, but I find it's hard NOT to comment my observations with these devices. I guess you really just have to laugh at these folks, if they think they must carry on this way while the rest of us are merely trying to catch some shuteye while on the plane.. lol.

wrapping up this rant, I want to say that its certainly no the blackberry I dislike. I, in fact, love the design and the overall ease of use in the device. its the BEHAVIOR ( like that described above) with these things which borders on crazy in some cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdlevin
    The interface is bad, but it doesn't crash and it switches calls flawlessly. The push email rules and I hate to say it, but I'm happy I've ditched my Treo650.

The Blackberry 7290 blows it out of the water.
    I feel sorry for you.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Want push email? WirelessSync on VZW's Treo gives you just that!!!
    Just to set the record straight in case anyone misconstrued my comments, I meant no disrespect to user adamdlevin with my post, re these airplane BB & laptop users (maniacs), and I'm confident vw2002 feels the same.

If a BB turns you on and suits your needs, more power to ya!

But RIM would have to come out with something pretty awesome for me to return to a BB. A Treo is pretty
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    agreed. adam, I had no intentions of disrespecting you in any way here regarding my posts above. they were simply rants. nothing more than that.
    I think you've got a great device in the BB. like I've said above, I really do love the build quality, keyboard and email superiority on BBs. you made a great move.
    please don't take anything that was said above as any sort of slight in your direction.
    they are both great communicators. . if you need push email, the BB is the way.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    There are lots of ways to do Push email on Treo, such as Chatter. How is the BB that superior with Push?? And, this is asked out of ignorance, in what way is the BB keyboard superior? Finally, I've never seen a screen on a BB remotely as good as the Treo, most are simply horrible. Maybe there is a new model with a good screen, but I haven't seen it. Finally, I've had excellent call quality on my Treo 650 with Cingular, though admittedly the Treo 600 call quality was simply horrible, and created a poor reputation for Treo call quality. Likewise, I think the 650 is well made, though, again, the 600 was a piece of junk quality wise. I keep my 650 in a case--do the BB not require a case? Last, BB appear to have very few options and programmes available, whereas the Treo uses all the hundreds or even thousands of Palm OS programmes made over the past many years. Plus, I understand BB do not have card storage, which seems very limiting. It sounds like a device that corporate IT people will love, as they can maintain it and keep it simple and uniform, and that is its primary strength. Friends I have that use them just do calls and email, and are happy, but if you want more then you need a Treo.
    I am a corporate BES administrator for a fortune 500 company. Here's the number one reason for the Blackberry's present popularity: Executives are very impatient and very technologically ignorant. However, at one time the BB was seen as the absolute height of technology to them and they saw that their buddies had them on the golf course so they had to have them. BB has succeeded in the business world because they started off simple and got complicated over time.

Actually, the progression was more like this for my company:
    All of these are Cingular/ATTWS models
    model 957 - no phone, no frills, email only, very easy to use
    model 6710 - phone, SIM card, slightly more complicated because of phone, same easy email functions
    model 7210/80 - most popular, phone, color screen, more capabilities. BES 4.0 and device software v 4.0 greatly improved wireless capabilities
    model 7290 - best overall model yet, improved screen, good phone, also improved with 4.0 features
    model 7100 - absolutely horrible keyboard, VERY cheap feel, best screen yet

They improved with every model, so by the time the modern models came out execs were well versed in how to use them and open to new features. If you gave someone a 7290 that had never touched one they would easily be overwhelmed.

This is why the Treo will not make it in our company. It is way too complicated for your average executive technophobe who can barely use windows xp, let alone windows mobile or palmos.

HOWEVER, after dealing with BB's and Treo's on a VERY extensive basis I can be sure of this: Blackberry's days are numbered.

Anyone saying the BB feels more solid than the Treo needs to pick up a 7100 and feel how cheap it feels. The 7100 is supposed to be Blackberry's new, more "cell phone looking" model because people were tired of looking like they were holding their wallet up to their head when they used the phone. It's crap.

Anyone who says BES is a "seamless" push system has no idea how it works. The nature of Push email dictates that it certainly cannot be seamless. It is forced to be relayed from one place to another over and over again until it gets to your device, or when it leaves your device. Nothing in the mobile world is seamless, there are always multiple points of failure.

In short, enjoy your BB, but understand that they are a sinking ship. I haven't even talked about BES server license costs either. Many apps/companies do push email better and that's about all that BB can hang their hat on.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast