Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adamdlevin
    The interface is bad, but it doesn't crash and it switches calls flawlessly. The push email rules and I hate to say it, but I'm happy I've ditched my Treo650.

The Blackberry 7290 blows it out of the water.

You lost!

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Push, Smush. I might get one email a month that's so important I have to read it RIGHT NOW! And I bet that's true for most people. Setting Snapper or Chatter to check email every 15 minutes or so is going to be fine for most people, including most of the crackberry fans. If I'm in a meeting, on the phone, or doing something else important I'm not going to stop just because a message got pushed to me anyway.

When the blackberry does all the organizing functions of my Treo, as well as my Treo, I might consider one, but the Treo is so much more powerful and flexible there's no comparison, in my mind.

If all you need is phone and email, then buy a blackberry. If it makes you happy, I have no problem with it at all (That's why they call these things "Personal" digital assistants). But don't believe it's a replacement for all a Treo can do. Oh, by the way: my Treo doesn't crash, either. I've had one crash in the last week, surfing the web on my own time. And that's pretty typical. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a crash outside of Blazer.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I switched from BB to Treo 650 with Good link and think thats clearly a superior proposition better attachment support better calendar integration and overall the treo 650 lets you make things than the BB cant.
    i went from the Nokia 3600 --> Blackberry 7280 --> (3days later) Treo 600 --> Blackberry 7100r ---> Treo 600 ---> Treo 650

I agree the push email rocks. and what the blackberry does it does best. However when i left the treo 600 and went to the 7100r i went insane...the functions of the treo are addictive. So it didnt have the best email then but now I dont consider that a problem...furthermore i have chattermail,....push is back baby

Congrats on the 7290...that was my regret i should have bought that one..the 7290 has been and is the best GSM bb ever while the 7250 for CDMA ownz the CDMA bb side
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    I trialed a 7290 for three days in preparation for the release of Sprint's 7250 (same device, but 7250 is CDMA/7290 is GSM). I agree with the email and call switching advantages, but I would add there is a HUGE difference in the Bluetooth operations. With my Treo I have limited range (typically 5 feet) before degradation, and my HS850 is really quircky - sometimes I can pick up a call, sometimes I can't. HOWEVER, the 7290's Bluetooth operation was unbelievable. Immediate response from people was that the headset calls were much clearer than usual, and I found I could freely roam the office (once up to 50 feet) without needing my phone in hand. Finally, the HS850 rang with incoming calls, and was much quicker and smoother to pick up.

I chalk this up to one major difference -- Bb is Industrial Strength, Treo is not. Before you flame me for being a Bb lover - I'm still using my Treo until Sprint releases the 7250. Both have their advantages, so here is my list of advantages for each...

Blackberry advantages:
    - call handling & switching
    - push mail is seemless with BES
    - keyboard is easier to use
    - bluetooth is awesome
    - construction is more solid (materials included)

Treo advantages:
    - screen is significantly better
    - contact navagation is easier from phone app
    - obviously more programs to customize your experience
    - single button access to key programs is nice

Just my quick list. I'm a business connection user, so push mail won't be what drives me away. But what probably will is the bluetooth functionality (very dissapointed in Palm on that) and the quality of construction (Treo's plastic chips and looks less professional). My $0.02...

...I LOVE my Treo, but I just got the Treo Wireless Headset, and you know what? The Bluetooth still sucks. That could drive me away too, if there was an alternative with a qwerty that ran PalmOS, not PPC.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I dont know if the desktop client has changed much since i left bb in january 05...but one thing that always ticked me off was...i would sync with my desktop and my laptop. If i installed an app on my desktop to my bb, and then took my bb over to my laptop and synched it there, it would not know anything about the .alx/.cod files that i just installed...it would show up as unknown, and by default it would delete it from your handheld. So basically whenever you went somewhere with a different synching product, make sure you carry the .alx/.cod files with you...or else it will get deleted.

If the bb could finally add dedicated send/end buttons (i know the 7100n has that, but they are soooooo small and so unresponsive), add a speakerphone on all, disable notification time outs, and put a touch screen, i'm happy as a clam. Going away froma touchscreen is too dang painful.

Oh yeah another thing they should fix up, yes I know its a business device i agree...and i still stand by that (ie camera, media player who cares), but now that the bb series has finally caught up with putting wall papers and ringtones, for goodness sake make it easy to send them to your handheld. As it is, to get images or sounds on your device you need to have your bb device point to it online...

but again i would like to say..BB rox!! i love what they have done and I hope they do more...but right now my opinion of them is slipping a little...they are like a typical government...they promise things but dont deliver. Case and point, the BB client for non bb phones...where is it...you have been saying soon soon soon, but hey soon has come and gone...meanwhile goodlink and chattermail will eat up your competition on the palmOS side, and other hardware is SOL for an email client. Also they really need to listen to the present needs. Sure BB data is of a different compression but GPRS is GPRS, RTT is RTT. We now have UTMS (or is is UMTS) and espeically EDGE, and of course EV-DO. What are you waiting for, an invitation. I mean explain to me why you went and released the 7270. Yes Wifi (crippled) and VOIP. But thats it...its the same thing, same meat inside but no CDMA or GSM or IDEN radio. Also you really should think about fixing up the plastic blue casing...it takes little to no time for the casing to get scratched, dinged, and dare i say it (especially for the iden people) the antenna brakes...
    Not wanting to hijack this thread, but a Treo with GoodLink on it gives you true push of Exchange (no Notes flames, please..I know, I know) with a look and feel of Outlook, which makes the learning curve for the technophobes much less steep.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    But the Goodlink software use up too much RAM. That is not so good for memory-limited Treo 650.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    I worked with a Blackberry 7750... basically helping a friend of mine figure it out. It's hard for me to believe that it is priced at around the same range as a Treo. I mean, the whole thing is built out of yesterday's technology. PDAs used screens like that 5 years ago, I'm not sure if it's better than the IIIc. Furthermore, it's not a touchscreen.

That said, the parts are technologically primitive, but the device functions very well as long as all you want to do is email, and to a lesser degree, phone calls.

The overwhelming thought that came to my head is that the BB is basically a calculator. Calculators are useful, and don't break nearly as often... but you really can't compare it to a real computer. It's apples and oranges.

That being said, I still don't understand how BB can charge as much as they do for each device.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGo
    But the Goodlink software use up too much RAM. That is not so good for memory-limited Treo 650.
    I run it fine on a 600 and a 650. Move docs2go to the card (frees about 4-5 mb) and some other apps there, and no problems. Sure, there are some memory constraints, but they can be worked around, as evidenced by some of the posts here
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I run it fine on a 600 and a 650. Move docs2go to the card (frees about 4-5 mb) and some other apps there, and no problems. Sure, there are some memory constraints, but they can be worked around, as evidenced by some of the posts here
    Call me crazy but I am not going to give your average user the green light to move things around on their Treos like that. This "fix" is like calling Ford and saying that your car overheats only to be told that it will work fine as long as you keep it under 25mph. It's a work around, far from a solution.

This rumored memory patch needs to pay off BIG for us or the Blackberry will, sadly, continue to be our device of choice.
    I have a couple colleagues who use some Blackberry devices and rather enjoy them. There are others who complain that apart from the push email function, they hate their devices.

Personally, I've used the 7100t with T-Mobile. That is one great device. The voice quality, including the built-in speaker phone, is outstanding. It's simply crystal clear. The unusual keyboard is not bad at all. Email is great, except that some attachments don't behave very well.

On the other hand, web browsing is truly lousy. Of course, I don't do web browsing on a PDA. I don't see the point.

From my perspective, I think the Treo 650 is great except for the poor voice quality on my unlocked GSM version. The other flaw I don't care for is that it is impossible to switch from one call to another then switch back to the original call. And my final gripe is that a PDF can't be opened when sent as an attachment in Versamail.

All said, I still think it's good device and would choose it over a Blackberry. In part, it's because I can add software - lots of it - to my Palm. To each his own, however.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by defii
    The other flaw I don't care for is that it is impossible to switch from one call to another then switch back to the original call. And my final gripe is that a PDF can't be opened when sent as an attachment in Versamail.
    That's not entirely true. If you were able to get a hold of the Picsel browser, you can open PDF attachments that are not scanned.

-Sketchy
    Quote Originally Posted by defii
    The other flaw I don't care for is that it is impossible to switch from one call to another then switch back to the original call.
    I don't find this to be a problem. When another call comes in, I push the center button on the 5-way, which puts the 1st call on hold and switches and answers the 2nd call. When I am done with the second call, I 5-way over to the HANG UP button, push the 5-way and viola! I am back to the original call. I believe that if you push the green TALK button, it will cancel the first call and connect to the second call. This is a little abnormal, but it works for me.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    My company allows us the choice between new Blackberry and Goodlink enabled Treo 650. I tried the Blackberry just to make sure I wasnt missing anything and found out really quick I wasn't! The little things the Treo lacks or trips up on are far worth what you get in exchange.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    My company invested in BES and that was the end to the BB vs. Good conversation. No way around it...
    Quote Originally Posted by hagakure
    Call me crazy but I am not going to give your average user the green light to move things around on their Treos like that. This "fix" is like calling Ford and saying that your car overheats only to be told that it will work fine as long as you keep it under 25mph. It's a work around, far from a solution.

This rumored memory patch needs to pay off BIG for us or the Blackberry will, sadly, continue to be our device of choice.
    I beg to differ. One of the biggest advantages the Treo has over Blackberry is the ability to use industry standard SD cards for expansion as well as run apps from the card. The fact that Palm decided to give the 650 only 32MB of memory is something Good had nothing to do with. However, there are literally 1000's and 1000's of Treo users, both on 600's and 650's that are running GoodLink with no memory issues. The patch is not going to increase the memory of the device. It will handle some of the addressing issues, but not going to be a huge change. Blackberry is a very nice email device. Period. A Treo with GoodLink gives you the same, in some cases better, functionality as Blackberry, with so many more features, i.e, better screen, more 3rd party apps, touch screen (personal choice, but a choice you DON'T have with BB), and so much more.
    I went the opposite. Switched from BB 7290 to 650 and loving it! Voice quality blows the BB away, screen res is awesome, especially the ability to email attachements, etc... Lovin the 650!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I beg to differ. One of the biggest advantages the Treo has over Blackberry is the ability to use industry standard SD cards for expansion as well as run apps from the card. The fact that Palm decided to give the 650 only 32MB of memory is something Good had nothing to do with. However, there are literally 1000's and 1000's of Treo users, both on 600's and 650's that are running GoodLink with no memory issues. The patch is not going to increase the memory of the device. It will handle some of the addressing issues, but not going to be a huge change. Blackberry is a very nice email device. Period. A Treo with GoodLink gives you the same, in some cases better, functionality as Blackberry, with so many more features, i.e, better screen, more 3rd party apps, touch screen (personal choice, but a choice you DON'T have with BB), and so much more.
    Let me clear something up, I switched to a 650 from a 7290 and I don't want to go back. However, I am also looking at alternatives to GoodLink for push email because of the memory issues.

I don't know why you, as a Good employee, would bother citing the fact that one can run apps from an SD card as a perk with a 650. Until the GoodLink software can be run from an SD card you don't have any ground to stand on with that point.

Yes, Blackberry is a nice email device, but in order to use the features that make Treo a better device than a BB there has to be some solution to the memory issues. True, it isn't Good's fault that PalmOne gave the Treo so little memory, but it IS Good's fault that their software requires so much memory to install. Wireless installation of the software is good, but if I am going to replace 400+ blackberry devices in my company it is not going to be with Good enabled 650's because I dont feel like hearing about memory problems constantly. I have installed it on 4 different Treo's what people had already been using prior to our GoodLink trials and on every single one I had to take about 30-45 minutes to delete and move things so that GoodLink could have it's 14MB of space.

The advantages on a 650 are huge, but so is your program and if my company sees widescale deployment of Treo's it simply cannot be with a software package of that size.
    You should try Chatter Email (www.chatteremail.com). It's true "push" email via the IMAP IDLE command and is a product that works very well. I have been using Chatter since Marc first developed it on my T600 and it has just gotten better over time. There is a time limited demo available and I highly recommend you give it a try.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast