1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 650 with Sprint and was wondering if all data plans on all the networks "lock" the phone to incoming calls whilst using data, or is it only Sprint? Is there anyway around this or not... Thanks.
    On CDMA networks, data transmission blocks voice calls. The calls are routed to voicemail. I think on GSM networks, the voice call interrupts the data.
    Zane
    True, I think the way GPRS works, at least for me is that incoming calls and SMS will come in unless the call was attempted at the same time a data transmission was happening. I am on T-Mo.
    Apparently this also happens on some, but not all, GSM conections. I suspect that it depends if you're getting an EDGE connection or plain GPRS.

But yes, all CDMA phones will exhibit this behavior, i.e. Sprint and Verizon.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  5.    #5  
    oh... how does the blackberry handle this situation then. do they also have their voice calls blocked when email comes in/out?
    blackberry happens so quickly it doesnt really affect the calls. it seems th treo needs an active connection for a few seconds to "sync" while BB just goes right through
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    You can only make call or use data. Not both. It is not a device limitation it is a carrier thing. None let you do both so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpb
    You can only make call or use data. Not both. It is not a device limitation it is a carrier thing. None let you do both so far.
    True, but some handle it differently from others. CDMA phones, and GSM under some circumstances, simply divert incoming calls to voicemail if a data connection is active, yet several of us have reported that if a call arrives during active data transfer, the data stream is suspended, allowing us to take the call, and resumed after we hang up.

Perhaps it's a combination of carrier, data technology, and data plan. All I know is it works for some but not others on GSM, but apparently never on CDMA.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    KevinPB,

What you say is not true. Calls will interrupt data on Cingular everytime. Even when you are using the phone as a laptop modem with PDANet..

I know CDMA phones alway send calls to VM (deisgn limitation) and can't speak to what happens on the other GSM carriers, however.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Calls will interrupt data on Cingular everytime.
    Even that's not 100% true. See this thread which was started by a Cingular user who suddenly started missing calls when his data connection was active.

There was another thread in which several of us tried to determine a correlation between carrier / plan / GPRS/EDGE / etc, but I can't find it right now.