Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I'm brand new to this forum but I did search for this topic and couldn't find it.
    Anyway, is it simple to take my "files" from the palm 505 and put it on the treo 650 that I plan on ordering shortly? Also, the palm is registered to a different name than I want on the treo. Can that be easily changed and files transferred?
    Mike
    no don't do that. You need to start over with the 650 desktop. Back up all your files, delete the old palm desktop app, and then install the 650's desktop app.
    PalmOne has many helpful migration guides available to you but I agree with the original reply. You open your current Palm Desktop, go into each category and export/backup the data. Be sure to select ALL Contacts, this is not the default. Once you are on the new Treo, reimport all data and reinstall apps.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    So you're saying I go to my original Palm desktop, take each category, like contacts, memos, etc and somehow export them. Then go to new treo 650 desktop and import them? Simple?
    Mike
    By all means -- do research the PalmOne migration guides.

But I did sart over. I used a new userid when I went from my T3 to the Treo 650. I "beamed" all my contacts, appointments, memos, and such from my T3 to my 650 directly.

Select Beam, by category, select all. Beam away. On the next sync -- all the new info will go upstream to your new userid on the desktop.

Not the official way, but it gave my Treo 650 a clean backup folder and a fresh start.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Why didn't I think of that! Just beam it over. Great! Thanks. My Treo's on order. Should get it soon.
    Mike
    In order to beam *locked* files such as Calendar, Contacts, Memos, Tasks, you need to have an application such as "FileZ". Go to Palmgear.com to download FileZ for free, which allows you to beam locked applications from one Palm unit to another Palm unit.

In FileZ, go to "View and Edit Files" which will list all your files and applications. You simply check a file you want beamed, and then click on beam. By the way, you should only check ONE file at a time to beam, and when finished beaming, uncheck the last file before checking a new file to beam again.

For example, to beam Contacts, check "AddressDB" then beam
    For the Calendar, check "DatebookDB" then beam
    For Memos, check "MemoDB" then beam
    For Tasks, check "TasksDB-PTod" then beam

You canNOT beam locked files using the normal Palm beaming method, whereas FileZ will bypass locked icons, thereby allowing you to beam locked files.
    I went from m515 to Treo 650 just by upgrading the desktop and re-syncing. No problem. There are tools to change the username of the device. I would use one of these before upgrading on the m505.

Rob
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    In order to beam *locked* files such as Calendar, Contacts, Memos, Tasks, you need to have an application such as "FileZ". Go to Palmgear.com to download FileZ for free, which allows you to beam locked applications from one Palm unit to another Palm unit.
    Casey, that method is a bit extreme, since one can easily use the built-in beam utility in Contacts, Tasks, Calendar etc. to beam any or all categories.

I would recommend the method that Perry so eloquently outlined.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Okay, I ran into two issues. I used the beam each category route. 1. The calendar doesn't seem to allow you to beam more than one event at a time
    2. When you (or me!) make a mistake and beam over category a,b and c all into unfiled contacts, I was unable to find a way to get rid of all unfiled contacts in one fell swoop.
    Any ideas?
    Mike
    I used a restore from backupman from my old 600 to 650 without any problems.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro