Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's a bad one (and Bits&Bolts haven't responded yet). I have reached a nice balance where BackupMan will perform a nice backup (I implemented "Prompt of successful backups").

However, I am trying to restore an backup set to my handheld, an
    unlocked PalmOne Treo 650, but I am receiving errors when trying to
    restore two files.

I receive the following errors:

There was an error restoring "CKDdb_CKDD" to your handheld. (Dm 0203)
    There was an error restoring "CpKDCalendar" to your handheld. (Dm 0203)

The file "CKDdb_CKDD" is associated with the program CalorieKing
    Handheld Diet Diary 4.2, and "CpKDCalendar" is associated with KeySuite.

All other files seem to restore correctly. After the failed restore, I tried restoring the two files individually (via the "Restore Individual Files..." function), and received the following errors respectively:

There was an error restoring "CpKDCalendar" to your handheld.
    There was an error restoring "CKDdb_CKDD" to your handheld.

I also tried conducting a full restore after a hard reset, and after a
    hard reset followed by a warm reset (to halt any functions that might
    have interfered with BackupMan).

I must restore these files. How do I do so? At the very least, how may
    I "extract" these files from the backup set to try other methods of
    restoring them (via Hotsync, emailing them to myself, etc.)?
    Last edited by tcc; 05/24/2005 at 11:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I have not found one program that reliable performs automatic backups and complete full restores. As a result, I use three programs: CardBackup, Backupman and Backupbuddy. If I need to do a full restore, I use Backupman or Backupbuddy (depending on which has the latest viable full backup) and I use CardBackup to restore the individual files that were not restored by the full restore by one of the other two programs.
    Stupid question: did you have the phone (radio) turned off when you did the restore? Backupman will not do a perfect restore uless the radio is turned off (see their website).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagger
    Stupid question: did you have the phone (radio) turned off when you did the restore? Backupman will not do a perfect restore uless the radio is turned off (see their website).
    Yes, I turned it off (or left it off) in every scenario just in case. Didn't help. :-(
  5.    #5  
    I received a reply from Bits&Bolts:

"If you email me the backup set, I can extract the files here, or
    alternatively you can use any non-Treo 650 device to restore them. The
    files were backed up, the files are fine, but something on the Treo 650
    is preventing them from being restored."

It was nice of them to offer to extract the files for me, but they never
    addressed how this happened or how to prevent it in the future. I even tried recovering the image onto more than one Treo 650. So the question remains:

Does this mean that BackupMan is not actually compatible with the Treo
    650?

After all, if we need a Treo 600 laying around to just extract files
    from an image, and then a PC to hotsync the files back into the 650's
    internal ram, then we can't really perform a full backup/restore to a 650,
    can we? People will detrimentally rely on Bit's&Bolt's claim that BackupMan is compatible with the 650, and then get a nasty surprise when they actually attempt to conduct a restore.
    Last edited by tcc; 05/24/2005 at 11:39 AM.
    Just a thought, try a system (warm) reset, then restore the files. Hold the rocker up while sticking in the reset pin, release the rocker when the Palm logo appears.
    Only twice have I needed to restore my data from a backup card, and both times it failed. Once it was with Palm's own backup card, the other with BackupBuddyVFS. I simply don't trust anyone. I actually came to this thread hoping to read that someone had found a reliable backup program, but I guess it just isn't there yet.
    I use a freeware app to force HotSync to backup EVERYTHING. It is called SyncAll. It is a tiny app that makes HotSync Manager backup everything. If I need to restore, I do a hard reset and hotsync. However BackupBuddyVFS is good for "On the fly" restore. It will get me through the day till I get back to my main machine and to a proper restore.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Backupman works for me... Except for the FAILED out of memory errors, which were fine after the last firmware update but are appearing again as I put more apps in... Even with 23% free. (It needs free memory space to do the backupp)
    tavisjohn where did you get syncall I didn't see it at mtdn..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    I use BackupManager on my 600, and have NEVER had a problem restoring anything. In fact, it has been so reliable, that I don;t even give a second thought to hard resetting, as I know I can be back in business in a few minutes.

Did you try the warm reset?
    I have BackupBuddy VFS (v 2.15). I have restored with after a hard reset a couple of itmes. It won't restore Java, which I have to manually reinstall every time. I have twice written to the developer to let them know that this is a problem, and have not had a response either time (I only get a response if I ask about upgrading). It's a pain because every time this happens I have to re-register WebViewer and I lose my bookmarks.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I've only had to do a restore once, but BackupMan worked perfectly.
    i have backupman, it works fine...it wont restore voice signal's voicdial so i have the installer app on my SD card
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    tavisjohn where did you get syncall I didn't see it at mtdn..
    PalmGer has it
    http://tinyurl.com/7twso

Ignore the warning at the top, OS5 support has been added. (Check the update notes at the bottom)
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalazs
    I use BackupManager on my 600, and have NEVER had a problem restoring anything. In fact, it has been so reliable, that I don;t even give a second thought to hard resetting, as I know I can be back in business in a few minutes.

Did you try the warm reset?
    I don't know if problems manifest themselves as much on the 600. What has stumped these backup utility companies may be the NVFS of the 650. They all seem to claim support and sell their product - the consumer detrimentally relies on these claims when using the product to perform backups. When the backups fail, many companies simply fail to respond when users discover that they can't recover their data.

BackupMan is now in this situation, unfortunately. Not a wise business/legal move in their part. They had better get in gear to avoid problems for themselves.
    Again, no problems with BackupMan on my 650.
    i also have had restore problems with my 650 and i am not sure how to get everything back. now that my hotsyncing is out of comission i think i need a good backup program is vs 3.07 the latest?
    Thanks
    i also have had restore problems with my 650 and i am not sure how to get everything back. now that my hotsyncing is out of comission i think i need a good backup program is vs 3.07 the latest?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    After doing FW 1.21 and 1.23 upgrades, both times backed up by BackupMan and restored without trouble. This was, of course, after a hard reset. Could be the hard reset, or the later firmware that causes it to work on mine?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast