Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    don't know what the significance of this is, but I thought it worth posting...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000040044246/

from an interview done by Engadget with Vonage's CEO, Jeff
    Citron:

"...You already have a softphone for Windows Mobile, where’s the softphone for the Palm OS?

If the Palm OS were a little easier to work with it might be here already.

Is it a problem with PalmSource? Is it palmOne?

The horsepower to do this isn’t there on many of palmOne’s devices. Much of the Palm devices out there don’t have the capabilities that we would need, and the ones that do have the capabilities we need, that’s what we’re focusing in on our efforts.

Any sort of time frame on when we might see a softphone for Palm? This year maybe?

This year. I think there’s a good chance this year you’ll see an expansion of the softphone client. Not just in the area of being able to run on other operating systems, but I think we’re going to continue to invest in additional softphone capabilities from different vendors, so you might actually see another vendor or two make available. Just like consumers have a choice of devices, you’ll also have a choice of software to go along with the services. ..."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    What's the significance of this? So we could have 2 numbers for a phone? Does anyone want this? Why?
    Uhhh, if someone were to figure out the wifi driver this would allow you to talk on the phone without burning up minutes. In addition, you could "take" your home phone number with you anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by derek985
    What's the significance of this? So we could have 2 numbers for a phone? Does anyone want this? Why?
    VOIP + Reverse DUN/WiFi = phone calls in poor cell reception areas (where I work)
    <br>
    Or you could just have a palm that could use this software, it doesn't have to be a treo to use this software.
    I would like the ability to use my Treo as a Vonage 'softphone'.

My crappy Cingular service is particularly crappy at home.
    also: Vonage VOIP (aka voice over internet) means that on your unlimited data plan, you would have unlimited minutes to make calls :-D
    You can also forward calls from your VOIP account to any other phone number like your cell when you need to.

d
    This would, without a doubt, be one of the coolest IT related innovations I have ever experienced!
    I'm personally looking forward to WiFi and VoIP capability so that I can use my SprintPCS Treo to make and receive phone calls anywhere in the world. WiFi is everywhere nowadays.
    Vonage is great. Have been a reasonably happy customer for over a year. I have to believe the carriers would need to radically change their pricing plans or block VOIP. Think of the money they would lose on all those minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by denik
    I'm personally looking forward to WiFi and VoIP capability so that I can use my SprintPCS Treo to make and receive phone calls anywhere in the world. WiFi is everywhere nowadays.
    So the hacked wi-fi drivers work that well? I thought it was still a pain in the *** to use?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    Vonage is great. Have been a reasonably happy customer for over a year. I have to believe the carriers would need to radically change their pricing plans or block VOIP. Think of the money they would lose on all those minutes.

when you're connecting to Vonnage over Wifi, there's not much the carriers can do to stop it. (are they going to attempt IP filtering ?)

Nevertheless, I'll remain skeptical as to Vonnage delivering on their purported Palm client "promise".

Palm wifi users are a such niche subclass, that not even Skype has looked to write to us.

One of the most significant harms of Palm not delivering wifi on the 650 is that the palm wifi population has been retarded in a way that makes developers ignore us.
    vonage is way overpriced for voip. I hate all big brand name companies who overcharge for the same services because they have a big name. lame IMO.
    Overpriced relative to what? Would you like to compare my phone bill from 4 years ago today? Even If i through in a more expensive mobile bill I am way ahead. Yes I agree there are cheaper alternatives though. They've become kind of the salesforce.com of VOIP, perceived first to market affords you that luxury (for a little while anyways)
    Quote Originally Posted by derek985

FREE INTERNATIONAL CALLS VIA VOIP!!!

In anycase, we have a Lingo phone at home. IMO Lingo is soooooooooo much better than Vonage and the plans are alot better. I wish there was a lingo client for palmos...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by adamstew
    also: Vonage VOIP (aka voice over internet) means that on your unlimited data plan, you would have unlimited minutes to make calls :-D
    Not with their softphone. The vonage softphone is limited to 500 minutes.
    It would be VERY convenient for me. I currently have a Vonage line (Unlimited to Canada and the U.S with everything in the package for about 30$ which is really inexpensive) so that I can keep in touch with my family and friends back in Canada. We have 2 numbers going to the same direct line, so I can call Canada and they can call me for free. I always have it forwarded to my cell in case I'm out (rings at home too thanks to simulring) and the service has saved my husband and I literally HUNDREDS (of not more) of dollars (I talk a lot).

Though I'm sure there are other companies that are cheaper, for the package we have, I don't think that any other company would really be able to compete.

I would definately love to see some innovation from them come into play and start making the program, I'd definately be up to trying it.

Thanks for the info.
    AIM: irksome234 MSN: lannie[at]gmail.com
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    when you're connecting to Vonnage over Wifi, there's not much the carriers can do to stop it. (are they going to attempt IP filtering ?)
    My concern isn't that they'll stop it, like you said, that would be difficult. I'm scared that if people start using huge amounts of data on the unlimited plans that the price of the unlimited data plan will go through the roof. They won't be getting the call minutes, but we will be using their data connection and we'll get hit there. (This, of course, assumes that people will be making calls over the cell network... over wi-fi it wouldn't be an issue)

Brett
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    My concern isn't that they'll stop it, like you said, that would be difficult. I'm scared that if people start using huge amounts of data on the unlimited plans that the price of the unlimited data plan will go through the roof. They won't be getting the call minutes, but we will be using their data connection and we'll get hit there. (This, of course, assumes that people will be making calls over the cell network... over wi-fi it wouldn't be an issue)

Brett
    I would do any Vonage/Skype calling using WiFi.

I would agree that its arguably unethical to exploit their data networks in order to make Vonage/Skype calls. (the carriers would have a case that they're being screwed on both ends.)

But it might also being technically unfeasible as well. The upload bandwith on these high speed cell networks is choked -- and I wonder if they can provide the sustainable high quality data connection required for a good phone quality connection. It would be in any case a vulnerability the carriers could target in order to discourage skype calling over their networks.

International calling is the primary value skype provides. (and since skype charges for calls to telephones there's not a huge incentive for using it for domestic calling.)

Wifi has LOTS of potential uses --- not just internet connectivity etc. -- uses that will be discovered as wifi gradually covers more and more places and becomes universal. That's why its a drag that Palm didn't give us wifi drivers, and why I fear that the next Treo may not have it either.

(BTW -- I just got off a Skype call with a friend in Thailand using my PC).
    Last edited by BARYE; 06/30/2005 at 03:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast