Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by peaches
    It would be VERY convenient for me. I currently have a Vonage line (Unlimited to Canada and the U.S with everything in the package for about 30$ which is really inexpensive) so that I can keep in touch with my family and friends back in Canada. We have 2 numbers going to the same direct line, so I can call Canada and they can call me for free. I always have it forwarded to my cell in case I'm out (rings at home too thanks to simulring) and the service has saved my husband and I literally HUNDREDS (of not more) of dollars (I talk a lot).

    Though I'm sure there are other companies that are cheaper, for the package we have, I don't think that any other company would really be able to compete.

    I would definately love to see some innovation from them come into play and start making the program, I'd definately be up to trying it.

    Thanks for the info.

    You should really check out Lingo:

    https://lingo.com/voip/residential/u...ne_service.jsp

    Unlimited calling to anywhere domestically in US, Canada and Western Europe for $19.95/month. That's $10 Bucks cheaper per month than what you said you pay Vonage. I really like Lingo alot!
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2. #22  
    Umm...I think packet8's better than lingo. Same monthly prices. But they were the first to have E911 services (don't underestimate the power of 911 before it's too late) and they've got better hardware...like videophones and uniden phones with built-in routers w/QoS.
    http://www.packet8.net

    Also, I've heard VoicePulse ranks best in terms of quality and features!! As soon as my Packet8 contract is up, I'm prolly gonna switch to VoicePusle.
    http://www.voicepulse.com

    Let's tear down the Bells!!
  3. #23  
    $15/mo for UNLIMITED LOCAL calling and 200 min. of long distance on VoicePulse....NOBODY compares to that...and NOBODY can compare to the features that they provide for that measly $15/mo as well!!
  4. #24  
    I'm almost certain that you don't have to have Wifi in order to run VOIP services. I believe Sprint and Verizon PTT services utilize their 1xRTT network and send the voice as data packets. Obviously the sound quality is not as good, but I think you need to only have around 30 kbps to get Vonage to work.

    Maybe Gfunk can elaborate.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    Overpriced relative to what? Would you like to compare my phone bill from 4 years ago today? Even If i through in a more expensive mobile bill I am way ahead. Yes I agree there are cheaper alternatives though. They've become kind of the salesforce.com of VOIP, perceived first to market affords you that luxury (for a little while anyways)
    I'll compare mine... We've got three lines, with rollover ringing (if one line is busy, it rolls to the next), unlimited LD on all three, Call Forwarding on "final landing line", Call Waiting w/Caller ID, DSL, conference calling, and all your other basic and pay a total of $105 a month. According to Vonage, without the rolling and the DSL it would run me $52.99 for one line.

    Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    I'll compare mine... We've got three lines, with rollover ringing (if one line is busy, it rolls to the next), unlimited LD on all three, Call Forwarding on "final landing line", Call Waiting w/Caller ID, DSL, conference calling, and all your other basic and pay a total of $105 a month. According to Vonage, without the rolling and the DSL it would run me $52.99 for one line.

    Pamela
    How do you get $53 for one line?? it's $25! I'm assuming since you're "comparing" to Vonage you're talking about a landline?? or is this another VoIP service. I'm really interested in how you're getting 3 landlines with DSL for only $105 (i'm assuming that includes taxes, "regulatory fees", and the like). Please explain.

    Anyway....each of the 2 companies that I list above could beat your $105/mo plan (these roughly include taxes and the like, give or take a couple bucks):
    (1) 3 Unlimited Packet8 accounts ($66) + Cable ($35) = $101
    Packet8 Features include everything you get, plus stuff like distinctive ringing, anonymous call blocking (great for blocking telemarketers, but considering you get a new number, no telemarketer will have your new number on their list 'til you port it), *69, and all that other good stuff that's on their website.
    (2) 3 Local Unlimited +200 Long Distance VoicePulse accounts ($50) + Cable ($35) = $85
    *If Unlimited long distance were really that important to you, add $10 for each line and your total comes to $115...but the features are worth it.

    VoicePulse Features blow both Vonage and Packet8 outta the water (Just copying and pasting straight from their website 'cause I'm lazy):
    " * CallerID with Name
    * Call Waiting with CallerID
    * Call Transfer
    * Return Call *69
    * 3-way Calling

    Advanced Features (all included free)
    VoicePulse service also includes features you won't find on your traditional phone:

    * Enhanced Voicemail
    * Online Account Center
    * Phone Shortcuts

    Ringing & Dialing
    * 7-Digit Dialing
    * Contact Lists
    * Distinctive Ring
    * Speed Dial

    Privacy & Blocking:
    * Anonymous Call Block
    * CallerID Block
    * Directory Assistance Block
    * Do Not Disturb
    * Filters
    * International Call Block
    * Telemarketer Block

    Forwarding
    * Call Forward
    * Line Unavailable Forward
    * Filters
    * Call Hunt / Find Me
    * Multi-Ring"

    **You can customize what the caller ID says...to read stuf like "Mom" "The Folks" "Lover Girl" "Cheezy T" "The Guy On The Couch" or whatever...fun stuff!!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I'm almost certain that you don't have to have Wifi in order to run VOIP services. I believe Sprint and Verizon PTT services utilize their 1xRTT network and send the voice as data packets. Obviously the sound quality is not as good, but I think you need to only have around 30 kbps to get Vonage to work.

    Maybe Gfunk can elaborate.
    I really don't know too much of the technical stuff. But I certainly remember reading that most if not all of the cell phone carriers already use VoIP. That's why they can add second lines to an account for only $10/ea...because they're mostly going to be in-network calls, which are free for them. Just like it's free to call from Vonage to Vonage phones and Packet8 to Packet8 phones.

    I remember reading somewhere that Vonage uses 128kbps by default.
    Packet8 only uses 64kbps and it sounds pretty dern good...since it only sends have the data there's less opportunity for tinny sounds, echoes, and the like.
    VoicePulse gives you so many options on their website...when it comes to quality it's 64, 96, or 128kbps. VoicePulse is all about choice and boy do they let you have it.

    Yea you could use 30kbps...heard some group doing something absurd like 12kbps, but obviously it's gonna sound like crap. Rip a CD at 12, 30, 64, 96, and 128kbps and tell me which one sounds the worst and best -- err, obviously the 12 and 128. Which are really bearable?? I'd say 64 and above...but YMMV!
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I really don't know too much of the technical stuff. But I certainly remember reading that most if not all of the cell phone carriers already use VoIP. That's why they can add second lines to an account for only $10/ea...because they're mostly going to be in-network calls, which are free for them. Just like it's free to call from Vonage to Vonage phones and Packet8 to Packet8 phones.

    I remember reading somewhere that Vonage uses 128kbps by default.
    Packet8 only uses 64kbps and it sounds pretty dern good...since it only sends have the data there's less opportunity for tinny sounds, echoes, and the like.
    VoicePulse gives you so many options on their website...when it comes to quality it's 64, 96, or 128kbps. VoicePulse is all about choice and boy do they let you have it.

    Yea you could use 30kbps...heard some group doing something absurd like 12kbps, but obviously it's gonna sound like crap. Rip a CD at 12, 30, 64, 96, and 128kbps and tell me which one sounds the worst and best -- err, obviously the 12 and 128. Which are really bearable?? I'd say 64 and above...but YMMV!
    Carriers don't use VOiP for in-network calling. However, they (except for Nextel) use it for PTT services. I'm pretty certain in-network calling minutes are recognized through the phone's MSID on CDMA networks.

    I agree with you that anything under 64 kbps isn't exactly high quality, but also consider that the CDMA 1xRTT networks should consistently connect at about 60+ kbps, and GSM EDGE should connect around 80-120 kbps consistently.

    Regardless, WiFi is probably going to get shelved in the near future. With the emergence of true 3G data and upcoming standards such as WiMax, I think we're relatively near the end of WiFi's glory days.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Carriers don't use VOiP for in-network calling. However, they (except for Nextel) use it for PTT services. I'm pretty certain in-network calling minutes are recognized through the phone's MSID on CDMA networks.

    I agree with you that anything under 64 kbps isn't exactly high quality, but also consider that the CDMA 1xRTT networks should consistently connect at about 60+ kbps, and GSM EDGE should connect around 80-120 kbps consistently.

    Regardless, WiFi is probably going to get shelved in the near future. With the emergence of true 3G data and upcoming standards such as WiMax, I think we're relatively near the end of WiFi's glory days.
    Thanks for the clarification. What exactly is MSID??

    Yea, my packet8 service is 64kbps, and it sounds terrific. Sounds like a landline -- both on my end and the receiving end. I'd imagine that Sprint's connection is slightly better than that. I remember most people getting 80+ kbps consistently with Sprint (me too); only thing that hurts it is latency. But yea...they probably max it out at 50 or 60 some odd kbps (like people do with pTunes net radio) to keep it from chopping.

    Do you have any insight about carriers using WiMax?? I heard Sprint was trying to work it into their biz plan somehow or another. Good for them, but I remember reading that 802.20 was where true Wifi speeds on cellular devices really begins. I think it had to do with 802.16 only allowing a fairly limited number of devices per tower. Or a large number of devices fairly limited the download speeds. Somethin' like that. I'd really love to know what's gonna happen after EV-DO.

    I'm always tryin' to think ahead, but it never seems to work to my advantage.
  10. #30  
    Here's the best way I can describe the MSID. Think of every CDMA (and maybe GSM, but I'm not sure) phone as having two phone numbers: a phone number that people call and a phone number that the towers call. The phone number that people call you on is your MDN (mobile device number) and the phone number the sites call you at is your MSID (mobile station identifier). Most people don't even know their MSID; it does you little good to know it. In most cases, the MDN and the MSID are the same. However, if you've ported a number, your MDN and MSID will always differ. I'm pretty sure the MSID was one of the changes instituted to facilitate WLNP.

    Sprint is driving the WiMax bandwagon. Nextel owns 2.5 GHz spectrum covering 80% of the nations population. 2.5 GHz just happens to be the frequency that WiMax uses. Sprint and Intel are in development of WiMax solutions, and Nextel has already instituted mobile broadband tests in two markets. One of the tests was WiMax, and the other was a competing standard. Either way, people will be chasing Sprint in that department.
  11. #31  
    Great discussion...OK, last question(s). Promise!! Why doesn't Sprint jump into the VoIP market??? Seems like Vonage is having trouble making a profit. But a larger company like Sprint would definitely be able to sell it as it has trained sales people all over the country. Vonage has no sales people, nobody to hold the hand of customers and they try this new phone service. I just see each VoIP provider making at least some huge marketing/sales/customer support mistake...Sprint's been there done that, seems like they could make it happen.

    Say an entire state converted over to VoIP...prolly have to be over cable, I'd presume. I mean, would the call quality still remain the same as only 1% of the country using it?? Are we really going to need to wait 'til fiber optics is in every home, or the more likely WiMax almost instantly blankets the country?? I guess my question is when does VoIP really take off 'cause it shoulda happened by now in my opinion.
  12. #32  
    Check out Sprint.com, not SprintPCS.com. I believe they do offer VoIP solutions for businesses. It's quite amazing the wide array of services Sprint offers, such as relay services, a whole slew of Blackberries, and IT solutions they offer to businesses. I think that a regular carrier hasn't entered competition with Vonage because they would still be regulated as a telecommunications company, and I'm pretty sure Vonage is not. That's why they can offer service from anywhere, whereas large wireline telecom providers are usually given areas of control by the government.
  13. Quake97's Avatar
    Posts
    557 Posts
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    #33  
    There's going to be a huge market for this kind of stuff once EV-DO and UMTS get more widespread. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it's fast enough to handle VoIP.

    Joe
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Umm...I think packet8's better than lingo. Same monthly prices. But they were the first to have E911 services (don't underestimate the power of 911 before it's too late) and they've got better hardware...like videophones and uniden phones with built-in routers w/QoS.
    http://www.packet8.net

    Also, I've heard VoicePulse ranks best in terms of quality and features!! As soon as my Packet8 contract is up, I'm prolly gonna switch to VoicePusle.
    http://www.voicepulse.com

    Let's tear down the Bells!!
    All VoIP have to have e911 services soon madated by law so that shouldn't be a concern...

    Also, where exactly is that $15/month rate your talking about? Couldn't find that on packet8's site? What I need is unlimited NA, Canada calling since most calls I make are to non lingo/VoIP numbers. Also, unlimited Western Europe would be nice since I already get that with Lingo...Tx.
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    There's going to be a huge market for this kind of stuff once EV-DO and UMTS get more widespread. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it's fast enough to handle VoIP.

    Joe

    UMTS, !xEvDo, Wimax etc... who knows.

    The problem is that wireless providers don't want to be regulated to mere plumbing providers and let M$ and etc get all the real profits. They want offer value added services in addition to broadband access...

    Anway, I recall Sprint has to sell off it's long distance operation as part of the Nextel merger, so perhaps VoIP may be in the future afterall...

    To bad Vli's Gphone is the only VoIP client on palmos right now and only for the Tungsten C...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Anway, I recall Sprint has to sell off it's long distance operation as part of the Nextel merger, so perhaps VoIP may be in the future afterall...
    Interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    To bad Vli's Gphone is the only VoIP client on palmos right now and only for the Tungsten C...
    Also interesting. I thought that the PalmOS had a limitation in waking up for incoming calls...at least when it was "asleep" or something. Dunno.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions