1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

Is there an mp3 player for the Treo 650 which will sync with my Apple iBook with iTunes version 4.8? RealPlayer? PocketTunes? something else?

-- Josh
    You can purchase the shareware Missing Sync and you will get something like it. I have it, and what it does, when you load the app on your palm, it will mount the SD on your mac, and allow you to copy mp3s from iTunes to your Treos SD card which then can be played via RealPlayer. I don't think there is a solution for the iTunes Store music, as its DRM is a locked format.
    current: GSM Unlocked, SonyEricsson T610 Unlocked
    macuser: AI 1.5 & Pismo 500
  3.    #3  
    Hmmm, neat. I'm not worried about playing iTunes Music Store music, just basic mp3 recordings, so it looks like this will work for me.
    -- Josh
    itunes mobile is slated to debut in june. i'm sure there will be a palm version. then we'll see what apple will let us do with it.
  5.    #5  
    Well, one small step in the right direction: loaded the Palm Treo software on my Mac iBook, got it to sync, able to transfer mp3's to the expansion card and play with Real Player or PocketTunes. Now a seamless connection to iTunes would be great.

Looking forward to iTunes PDA version release. Anyone with more info on that??
    -- Josh
    "a seamless connection to iTunes "

The new version of Missing Sync shows your Treo music folder in iTunes. However, A lot of my iTunes are not playing on the realplayer app....some are .m4a extensions. It appears the ones I encode from CD's are giving this extension and then they are not recongnized as Mp3? I must be encoding them wrong.
    Check your preferences in iTunes to see that you are ripping your CDs into MP3 format.

Just FYI, when using The Missing Sync with iTunes, you get a "playlist" for your Treo's expansion card that shows up right among your other playlists in iTunes. This only works with a USB connection, though; it does not work with Bluetooth. Same goes for iPhoto-Splashphoto integration (Splashphoto is a freebie with Missing Sync).
    -mbd26
  8.    #8  
    It's June. Where is iTunes mobile edition for Palm???
    -- Josh
    splashphoto is free??

where????? I bought Missing Sync - where can I get Splashphoto from?

anyway to make the iTunes integration work over Bluetooth??
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    You didn't do anything wrong. The iTunes default encoder is AAC, which is the modern file standard for music compression. The extension for unprotected AAC files is m4a, and the extension for iTunes Music Store files is m4p.

PocketTunes and Realplayer for Palm OS are shoddy applications that don't support the major modern file format.

So until they get it right, or until Apple release iTunes for Palm OS (which is NOT rumored... totally different from the lame "iTunes phone"), just get an iPod like the rest of civilized society Come on, do you really want to drain your Treo battery with music playback?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Duster
    "a seamless connection to iTunes "

The new version of Missing Sync shows your Treo music folder in iTunes. However, A lot of my iTunes are not playing on the realplayer app....some are .m4a extensions. It appears the ones I encode from CD's are giving this extension and then they are not recongnized as Mp3? I must be encoding them wrong.
    Missing Sync is THE BEST program out there for Palm/Mac users! BUY IT RIGHT NOW!!!
    Thanks for the info on the encoder. I have a 40gig iPod and just wanted the Treo 650 for occasional music use....plus I have a gig sd card so storage isn't an option for a few songs when iPod is home charging.

Quote Originally Posted by snahabed
    You didn't do anything wrong. The iTunes default encoder is AAC, which is the modern file standard for music compression. The extension for unprotected AAC files is m4a, and the extension for iTunes Music Store files is m4p.

PocketTunes and Realplayer for Palm OS are shoddy applications that don't support the major modern file format.

So until they get it right, or until Apple release iTunes for Palm OS (which is NOT rumored... totally different from the lame "iTunes phone"), just get an iPod like the rest of civilized society Come on, do you really want to drain your Treo battery with music playback?