1.    #1  
    How fast is the drain on a spare battery? I fully charged my newly arrived spare (which was at 49% on arrival) -- and after 3 days put it back in the Treo 650 in to check and it was still at 99%.

Anyone done a timeline on this? It is looking like I might only have to check and top it off only once a month.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/23/2005 at 09:58 AM.
    According to RatShack, Li-ion batteries lose less than 0.1% per month.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    i haven't had any problems at all, only using my spare about once a month, the rest of the time in my briefcase.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I just put in my spare after not using it for 2 months. It shows 99% charge on the Treo. Pretty darn cool!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    According to RatShack, Li-ion batteries lose less than 0.1% per month.
    Thanks, Jetkins!

Obviously, they did not fully charge my spare at the time of manufacture . . . . . . . .
    Let's see, 51 point loss times 10 = 510 months = 42.5 years of storage. . . .

Anyway, I will track it for awhile. Only dropping 1 point (99 to 98%, et cetera) every 10 months seems alittle optimistic on Radio Shack's part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Obviously, they did not fully charge my spare at the time of manufacture

Anyway, I will track it for awhile. Only dropping 1 point (99 to 98%, et cetera) every 10 months seems alittle optimistic on Radio Shack's part.
    I read somewhere else that the optimal charge level for long-term storage is around 40%. Perhaps that's why they ship them somewhere around half-charged.

But I can confirm that Li-ions do hold a charge exceptionally well. We have a camcorder which gets used once in a blue moon - I charge it up after each use, and it always still has a 98%+ charge when I go to use it months later.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  7.    #7  
    Thanks, Again!

Wonderful, I can throw that puppy in the travel bag and forget about it.

Cheers, Perry.

(That brings up a funny story. Forgot my wall charger, 1 day plane trip turned into 3, my Tungsten T3 was down to 30%, didn't want to pop for a new charger, went to a Best Buy and charged my T3 at the PDA display stand!)
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/23/2005 at 11:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Thanks, Again!

Wonderful, I can throw that puppy in the travel bag and forget about it.

Cheers, Perry.

(That brings up a funny story. Forgot my wall charger, 1 day plane trip turned into 3, my Tungsten T3 was down to 30%, didn't want to pop for a new charger, went to a Best Buy and charged my T3 at the PDA display stand!)
    I've done the best buy quick charge before, it is a life saver.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    lol ..how long did you wait? and how much juice did you get?
    the Quick charge systems supposedly screw up your battery. Also, I don't think its right in assuming battery leak is a linear function and optimal long term storage of LION is at around 50% or you might lose capacity over time. You have to keep the LION batteries in some sort of charging or use at least once a month so as not get things "stale".
    For more information that you probably want to know, check out www.batteryuniversity.com

(Though that site says Li-ions lose about 5% in the first 24 hours - a behaviour I've never observed.)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    lol ..how long did you wait? and how much juice did you get?
    In regards to our "Best Buy" quick charge escapades in posts #7 & #8 above . . . . . .

Down to 30%, clerks took pity on me and let me stay 10 minutes after closing to get it to 99%. (Took 35 minutes total.)

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/23/2005 at 10:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    nice
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by flypenfly
    the Quick charge systems supposedly screw up your battery. Also, I don't think its right in assuming battery leak is a linear function and optimal long term storage of LION is at around 50% or you might lose capacity over time. You have to keep the LION batteries in some sort of charging or use at least once a month so as not get things "stale".

Well put !! That was my plan, a once a month swap between my two batteries (the one in the Treo and the one in the travel bag).

Thanks, Perry.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    What is the most efficient method of spare battery management?

If, as advised, the best method of looking after a battery is to charge it daily, should the batteries be rotated (eg weekly or monthly) or is it best to keep one as a spare, hardly ever used, and one for regular use?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    What is the most efficient method of spare battery management?

If, as advised, the best method of looking after a battery is to charge it daily, should the batteries be rotated (eg weekly or monthly) or is it best to keep one as a spare, hardly ever used, and one for regular use?

You always want to keep the battery in the Treo "topped" off, rather than draining it fully and then recharging -- it is my understanding that the battery will last longer that way.

As for the spare battery: Mine was still at 98% after 1 month of storage, but I am going to follow a once a month swap between the two batteries scenario to keep them both in a "use" mode. I read else where that this is a good strategy as well -- to maintain both battery's longevity.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    As for the spare battery: Mine was still at 98% after 1 month of storage, but I am going to follow a once a month swap between the two batteries scenario to keep them both in a "use" mode. I read else where that this is a good strategy as well -- to maintain both battery's longevity.
    Cheers for that. A monthly swap was to have been my plan, but I thought I would seek a second opinion first in case that wasn't the best strategy.