1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Bit of a new guy here on the forums, but I've read through every Treo forum I can find and I seem to get conflicting answers. I need some verification on a few things, if anyone can assist, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm a technophile, I "need" the latest and greatest, but honestly I DO need the Treo for mobile internet business applications. So here it goes...

I'm with T-Mobile, contract is up in about two weeks. I can't see paying $700 for an unlocked phone when places like Amazon are selling them for $300 with two year Cingular contract. I don't want to go to Cingular (call me stubborn), I like T-Mobile and their data plan pricing is unbeatable. So basically, I'm looking for a way to get a Treo 650 on T-Mobile

1) Do I buy a Cingular locked Treo from eBay or somewhere else and get a friend of mine who is on Cingular call their CS to get an unlock code? Would this work?

2) Do I buy an unbranded AT&T locked phone from eBay and hope that Cingular will give me (or a friend) the unlock code for it?

3) I've heard that T-Mobile has the capability of unlocking Cingular phones with the supply of an IMEI number from that phone.

4) I've also heard that T-Mobile will provide some sort of subsidy/reimbursement for buying an unlocked Treo and agreeing to remain with T-Mobile and signing a new contract. Is this true?

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.
    1, 2. Cingular will Not give an unlock code for a Treo that is not actively registered to/sold to the account they are giving the unlock code to.

3. T-Mo itself will not unlock other carriers phones, however there are thousands of places/ways to unlock almost any phone in the world. within a 20 minute drive of me there are at least 30 places I know of that will unlock one for $20ish. On the net there are thousands more.

4. no idea (I live in Canada), but sounds reasonable.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    I'm with TMo, and I did #1. My friend had only been with Cingular for 45 days or so, and got it for me.

however, success rate varies from what I've read ...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bishop
    I'm with TMo, and I did #1. My friend had only been with Cingular for 45 days or so, and got it for me.

however, success rate varies from what I've read ...
    I think this is the way I'm going to go. I just picked up a Treo on eBay for around $400, I have a buddy who has been with Cingular for a long time, so hopefully it's the right combo.

Thanks for comments thus far.