Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    What are the advantages of IMAP versus POP3 email accounts? Actually how does IMAP work (POP3 is pretty straightforward)

    In the case of POP3, I use Godaddy .... is anyone using them for IMAP account. Where is a good place to get a hosted IMAP account?

    Thanks....
  2. #2  
    http://www.imap.org/

    That should cover it.
  3. #3  
    I use my own imap email server but fastmail is the popular choice around here for a free imap email service.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  4. #4  
    FastMail is great since the free version gives you IMAP and allows you to continue to use your POP account (assuming your POP account allows forwarding) and have all messages appear to come from the POP account. That's helpful if you don't want to change your e-mail address.
  5. #5  
    In theory IMAP is better because you can make folderfs on the sever and always check your mail there. In practice there do nto seem to be any very good IMAP clients so IMAP set up, at least in windows is a PITA.
  6. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #6  
    Stevesm,

    Thunderbird is a wonderful IMAP capable email client. Works windows and other OS'es. I have had no problems with setting it up for IMAP. Works great.
  7. #7  
    Heck.. even Outlook supports getting mail from imap servers. Not hard to set up and my boss loves it.
  8. #8  
    I have no problems using Outlook with my IMAP account and the setup was no more difficult than doing it for POP.
  9. #9  
    Will IMAP providers allow me to upload emails/folders that I previously downloaded to my PC from my POP account?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by NX01
    Will IMAP providers allow me to upload emails/folders that I previously downloaded to my PC from my POP account?
    I don't have a problem doing this with FastMail and individual e-mail from my POP provider. The free FastMail account does not allow you to remotely use their SMTP server, so anything I send from my Treo or desktop goes through the Yahoo SMTP. Often I'll take those Yahoo sent messages (POP) and drag/drop them into an IMAP folder and have no problems at all. I've never tried it with an entire folder though.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I don't have a problem doing this with FastMail and individual e-mail from my POP provider. The free FastMail account does not allow you to remotely use their SMTP server, so anything I send from my Treo or desktop goes through the Yahoo SMTP. Often I'll take those Yahoo sent messages (POP) and drag/drop them into an IMAP folder and have no problems at all. I've never tried it with an entire folder though.
    Thanks for the feedback Mark!
  12. puyi's Avatar
    Posts
    296 Posts
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    #12  
    NX01-

    I just finished migrating my company's mail from one IMAP provider to another host.

    I could not drag n drop entire folders. I first had to create the requested folders under the new IMAP account using my mail client (this so I could create in offline cached mode), then I could drag and drop selected groups of mail.

    I haven't used POP in while so make sure you download the entire mail(s) if POP doesn't do this already.

    And for future reference, if you migrate again to another host, remember to download your entire mail(s).

    And one last little annoyance, not all clients will preserve the date of the original mail. Thunderbird and Outlook are fine but Chatter updated my mail to the date of the migration, not the original send/receive date. BTW, I still love Chatter despite this little annoyance.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by puyi
    NX01-

    I just finished migrating my company's mail from one IMAP provider to another host.

    I could not drag n drop entire folders. I first had to create the requested folders under the new IMAP account using my mail client (this so I could create in offline cached mode), then I could drag and drop selected groups of mail.

    I haven't used POP in while so make sure you download the entire mail(s) if POP doesn't do this already.

    And for future reference, if you migrate again to another host, remember to download your entire mail(s).

    And one last little annoyance, not all clients will preserve the date of the original mail. Thunderbird and Outlook are fine but Chatter updated my mail to the date of the migration, not the original send/receive date. BTW, I still love Chatter despite this little annoyance.
    Thanks Puyi!
    My web/email hosting plan with Webhost4Life.com expires in September so I'm investigating alternative providers with good IMAP and webmail service.

Posting Permissions