1.    #1  
    Are there any programs out there that allow my 650 (sprint) to sync with Outlook away from my computer? I know a Blackberry can, but can a treo?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    What are you looking to Sync? Mail, calendar, and/or contacts? Are you connecting to an Exchange server or just using POP?

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMPINGEE
    Are there any programs out there that allow my 650 (sprint) to sync with Outlook away from my computer? I know a Blackberry can, but can a treo?
    Pimpingee,

This is a complicated question, but you will find a lot of into in these forums. Here's some starting info...

1) There are a few solutuoins that turn your the 650 into a Blackberry, but they involve "behind the firewall" software installed with direct access to your company's Exchange server or your desktop computer -- just like Blackberry's SW. There are monthly or yearly fees for this. Sprint Business Connection and Cingular Express Mail are rebranded implementations of Seven's solution. I am on Cingular now, but, Sprint gives you this for $15 / month (relative bargain). It is true push with contact & calendar integration using their app. Good Technologies also has a solution that works on any carrier. It comes highly recommended though when I last looked at it, it uses 10+ Meg of your 650's memory. That's a dealbreaker for me. Others love it. Remeber to get an unlimited data plan -- and both use hidden SMS messages for push notifictation -- make sure you won't be charged for this.

2) There are excellent "direct" e-mail solutions available for the Treo if you can get public IP access to your e-mail via POP/SMTP or IMAP. There are also VPN solutions available on the 650 to allow this type of access via a VPN. Some can use IMAP "push e-mail", but all can check e-mail at a reasonable interval. Check out chattermail or snappermail.

3) Most programs do not "sync" the native Palm address / todo / calendar apps to your exchange server. You can do this, however using network hotsync if you have IP access to your desktop PC.

In summary: Your 650 can do all that a Blackberry can do, and a lot more. But you need to sort through the options to figure out what is best.

Good Luck...

Glenn
    We should also point out that if what you really want to do is a hotsync with outlook you can do that wirelessly using the regular old hotsync feature. Just fire up hotsync on your '650, select Modem and set it up for PCS Vision. If your PC is behind a firewall, you'll need to get a vpn client working, too.

I use chatteremail to get blackberry-style email, and do a hotsync occasionally if I've entered a bunch of new appointments or contacts and want to get it backed up on my PC. Generally, though, I just do a desktop hotsync a couple of times a week when I'm in my office.
    step by step instructions on how to do it using Mergic VPN available here ........

http://www.mergic.com/vpnHotSync.php
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Chatter syncs with outlook/exchange so long as you can open a port in your firewall.

www.chattermail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Pimpingee,

This is a complicated question, but you will find a lot of into in these forums. Here's some starting info...

1) There are a few solutuoins that turn your the 650 into a Blackberry, but they involve "behind the firewall" software installed with direct access to your company's Exchange server or your desktop computer -- just like Blackberry's SW. There are monthly or yearly fees for this. Sprint Business Connection and Cingular Express Mail are rebranded implementations of Seven's solution. I am on Cingular now, but, Sprint gives you this for $15 / month (relative bargain). It is true push with contact & calendar integration using their app. Good Technologies also has a solution that works on any carrier. It comes highly recommended though when I last looked at it, it uses 10+ Meg of your 650's memory. That's a dealbreaker for me. Others love it. Remeber to get an unlimited data plan -- and both use hidden SMS messages for push notifictation -- make sure you won't be charged for this.

2) There are excellent "direct" e-mail solutions available for the Treo if you can get public IP access to your e-mail via POP/SMTP or IMAP. There are also VPN solutions available on the 650 to allow this type of access via a VPN. Some can use IMAP "push e-mail", but all can check e-mail at a reasonable interval. Check out chattermail or snappermail.

3) Most programs do not "sync" the native Palm address / todo / calendar apps to your exchange server. You can do this, however using network hotsync if you have IP access to your desktop PC.

In summary: Your 650 can do all that a Blackberry can do, and a lot more. But you need to sort through the options to figure out what is best.

Good Luck...

Glenn

Glenn -

Good has SMS agreements with the carriers. Version 4.0 introduced another technology called Constant Connect, Global Connect and did away with sms triggers. Hence why you can now use Good Technology on almost any carrier in the world. SMS contracts are costly and limit the number of carriers they would support.

-John
    John,

I beleive Seven is moving in the same direction, and it's none too soon. Now that I am on Cingular (pretty much a nightmare) I was charged over $300 for incoming SMS. (They took the charges off, but I am sure it will happen again next month). I got a $997 dollar phone bill after signing up -- I got chared for some data and SMS.

But is the IP only delivery better. I am going to configure our firewall for IMAP and test a VPN solution (for ChatterMail). I loved Seven on Sprint it worked awesome.

Cingular just knickel and dimes you compared to Sprint.

Glenn