Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think the title of the tread says it all. I was just wondering how many treo owners use it, has it caused any lock ups, and do they recommend it to anyone else

Pocket Express for 650 is it worth $70 a year
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    No way it's worth it, especially since you can get the same data for free on the web.
    I think it is (though obviously it is a little pricey, $50 would have been more effective)....it works well....and delivers a fast, effective way to see news, stocks, weather, movie info, 411 (is great).

Yes you can get the info via the web...but it takes much longer and involves more hassle time (and time is important to me).
    yes
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    It is a little pricey for me but well worth it. I use it ALL the time. Never have had a single problem with it either. I have it installed on my sd card. I was lucky as about 2 weeks before my 1 year subscription ran out, I received a survey request from Handango. They gave me a coupon code for 20% off for filling it out. Of course I used it immediately on a 2nd year subscription. Why don't you try the 30 day trial? http://express.handmark.com/downloads.php

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Definitely try the 30 day free trial !!!!!!!!

I use it daily, no problems in three months of use on my Treo 650. I love the 411, maps, and weather radar -- as well as, the "regular" stuff of news and sports.

It's definitely worth the "one lunch" a month for me.

Cheers, Perry
    It's worth it as long as people are willing to pay it...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    just tried this and it seems ok apart from the fact that movies and stock both reset the treo with a fatal exception.....
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Seems like this is the stuff that used to be free from palm with their weblet-thingies.
    I had it for a free 1-month trial and liked it. It didn't seem to play nicely with Chattermail (probably just the standard background ssh problem--not their fault), but because of that, I had to turn off the automatic download feature. I didn't fork it up for a subscription and now use wunderground for weather and Directory assistant (http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/) for telephone lookup.

I thought I might be able to get some of the auto-update features by using avantgo, but really couldn't get that working to my satisfaction.

-Phil
    I tried it out and liked it, but decided it wasn't worth the money. I can get essentially the same or better information for free using other apps or Blazer bookmarks.
    - 411: Directory Assistant
    -Weather: 4Cast ($5)
    -News: Google's text news page
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I used it without problems but did not want to pay $70. I am currently trying out Verichat with bots and have no problems. Seems to be more economical.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
    For those of you on Sprint, I recommend switching your Vision pack to the "premium pack". You don't need Picture mail thanks to Bluetooth and the ability to email pics using Versa or Snapper. With the Premium Pack, for $5 on add-a-phones, you get a $10 credit for downloads, which more than covers the $6.99/month for Express. I love Express. Yes, you can get its info for free elsewhere, but it is much more cumbersome and does not interface with the on-board Palm addressbook or phone nearly as well, imo
    Use it ALL the time. Definitely worth it. Yes, you can get some of the same data via other web apps, but - you could apply that same logic to anything:

I don't need a cell phone - there are pay phones everywhere.

I don't need a car - I have a bike/horse/scooter/segway/whatever.

I don't need email - I really like to fax things.

I don't need fax - I like the postal service.

You get the point - do you NEED any of these things? Maybe not, but the user interface of Express just can't be beat with going to endless web sites. It's just faster, easier, works more elegantly (gotta LOVE the ability to save 411 lookups to the address book) than web apps. And yes, I've used Directory Assistant - it's a nice app, and Rick has done a great job, but I still like Express better. And it's worth the money to me.
    It's a great app.

How do you get the individual conduits (like an alias) to pop-up on the Palm Launcher? I don't want all of 'em, just "411" and "Maps." I was able to do this in Silver Screen (the hide function for the conduits I did not want shown), but no longer have that option as I deleted it from my T650. When I tried clicking on (then holding down with my stylus) the main conduits within the Express app, it gave me the option of saving to SD card, deleting the conduit, or updating the conduit. No "copy to Palm launcher"!
    ###
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    It's a great app.

How do you get the individual conduits (like an alias) to pop-up on the Palm Launcher? I don't want all of 'em, just "411" and "Maps." I was able to do this in Silver Screen (the hide function for the conduits I did not want shown), but no longer have that option as I deleted it from my T650. When I tried clicking on (then holding down with my stylus) the main conduits within the Express app, it gave me the option of saving to SD card, deleting the conduit, or updating the conduit. No "copy to Palm launcher"!
    ###

There is a "show channels in Palm Launcher" check box under Options, (tap the Express Page One line) then Express preferences and then choose channels from the drop down menu. Then you can sort them into different categories so you have just the ones you want on your default screen.

Cheers, Perry.
    I think it depends on your needs. I get the same info elsewhere, but if you use it all the time, it may be worth it to you. Only you can decide.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    What are the main differences between Express and AvantGo ?

Also, one thing I noticed about Express Maps is that it appears to use the full screen to display a map. My problem with Directory Assistant or any other map that I pull up in Blazer is that the map only uses 1/4 of the screen - if that. Is this common with maps in Blazer or am I missing a browser setting somewhere?
    With the exception of the full map view and weather I do not see what this provides that Directory Assistance does not? It might package it a little better but for $70 a year I want something ultra special.

I manage very well with Directory assitance and Google Local for most of my needs.
    In my trial of Express I enjoyed the full map vew and the 411 feature. Everything else I got from the web on the Treo (sports, weather)

Directory Assistant took care of the 411 feature and using the Express subscription price towards the purchase of the Tom Tom navigator GPS for the Treo was money well spent!
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast