Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Is anybody out there who uses a treo650 and a lifedrive parallely on one pc?
    I use my treo650 (1.06-ROW-FW01.15) without any problems for 1 month, sync to palmdesktop and many other progs on pc. All works well.
    I just ordered the lifedrive which I will use for navigation, multimedia and internet access through wifi, but not for pims.
    I don't know, if it's possible to install the software for syncing with (and connecting to) lifedrive, but afterwards only sync with treo and use lifedrive only as an usb-drive.
    Regards
    conum
    Last edited by conum; 05/21/2005 at 04:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Should be no problem if you give the LifeDrive a different HotSync ID.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Now I got my lifedrive, it's charging for three hours, and I have to think about installing the new software in a way, that I afterwards can sync with my treo (for pims and my daily data) and connect with lifedrive to install some software and huge amount of data.
    I am thinking about ways to connect both devices to the same pc with the same username. I know, it's often discussed, but there must be a way ...
    Can anybody help?
    Please don't give feedback for beginners!
    I am a rather experienced user (had Palm IIIe, Palm IIIc, 505, ,515, use TT1, TT3 and Treo650)
    Regards
    conum
    Quote Originally Posted by conum
    ... but there must be a way ...
    Can anybody help?
    Please don't give feedback for beginners!
    I am a rather experienced user (had Palm IIIe, Palm IIIc, 505, ,515, use TT1, TT3 and Treo650)...
    As experienced as you are, you should know it can't be done with the same HSID.

System files will get backed up, overwritten, mixed up, etc in addition to the annoyance of the HotSync Manager continually asking to sync the new device with the old data as it constantly thinks you are switching to a new device.

In addition, the Treo650 and LifeDrive are both very particular in the version of Palm Desktop/HotSync/LifeDrive Manager software they utilize. They will choke on other versions due to the handling of the PIM data, etc. In previous versions of the Palm Desktop with lots of older Palms, this was not a problem. I often would not even switch over to a newer version of Palm Desktop when upgrading to a newer palm as it did not matter. It does these days.

It used to be that I could sync my wifes Palm with her HSID on to the same desktop as my Palm with my HSID, can't do that as easily these days either...

So with the same HSID, I think you are SOOL, but using a different HSID for the two machines, it may work, it may not.

When I was using a Treo 600 and a T|3 simultaneously I would just sync the T|3 with the desktop and beam the 4 conduit files over every day. A pain and a workaround, but it was workable.

Good Luck
    is there a way to cheat windows though. Say install the Treo Desktop software to C:\ And the lifedrive Desktop software to D:\ That way each program is recoginiced as a differnet program (youd have to rename during install). But this would keep any files from being crossed. And it would allow you to use the same HSID so you can install the same apps on both. Or perhaps, use different log ons to the Windows machine and install the apps to "My Documents" this would prevent the programs from being ALLOWED to access the other files.
    I have both a LifeDrive and a Treo 650 syncing on one PC using Palm Desktop; install the version from the LD, and it should still support your Treo 650. The PIM DBs are the same format, and the conduits in the current Palm Desktop will fall back to older versions of the DB for older devices. They devices use different HotSync IDs.