1.    #1  
    Folks,

I have a Cingular 650. I have noticed that on occasion the phone side turns off for no reason. Tonight it happenned repeatedly when I was at band practice with the 650 in my front pocket.

I figured out what causes it -- if you lightly tap my 650 below the antenna on the back with something (in my case a drum stick), the Cingular sign off screen is immidiately launched, and the phone shuts down.

It is not a soft or hard reset, and it is not the same as the battery becoming disconnected. I can recreate it at will -- just tap the back of the unit with something light below the antenna, or tap the unit lightly on a counter corner and mine immidiately turns off the phone.

This may be a freak defect with my phone, but I figured I would share it.

Glenn
    Sounds like a loose or bad contact being made with the SIM card. When the SIM is disconnected/pulled out while the phone is on it will automatically turn the phone off. Maybe you have a very old/worn SIM card.

PS -- I can't help but ask: what possessed you to tap the phone with a drum-stick in the first place?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    Sounds like a loose or bad contact being made with the SIM card.
    My thoughts exactly. Place a piece of paper between the SIM and its carrier, but not so thick that the whole assembly gets stuck.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Same problem here. Some say replace it but its happening to so many I think maybe the paper will do the trick.
  5.    #5  
    Of course -- the SIM card contacts... Thanks for all the responses.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    And don't bend that carrier, it is so thin that it cracks easily.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.