Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Yes, but there are a couple software programs out there that will do this without voiding warranties, etc.

MotionApps, for example.

I point this out just so others know there is another way to accomplish this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3013
    Yes, but there are a couple software programs out there that will do this without voiding warranties, etc.
    True, but conversely there will always be environments where no software solution is ever going to be accepted.

Any software solution can be overcome by a hard or zero-out reset; sure, you lose everything you have installed, but that's hardly a consideration if you are trying to steal state (or even trade) secrets.

If an installation is serious about its "no cameras" policy, then it should demand exactly that - no cameras.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Wish someone made a hardware upgrade to the camera resolution!

- Sid
    Unlocked 650
    SD cards and USB card readers/writers are a far greater threat as far as corporate espionage goes than any trashy phone camera would/could ever be.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlleyCat
    SD cards and USB card readers/writers are a far greater threat as far as corporate espionage goes than any trashy phone camera would/could ever be.
    Thank you.
    Agreed. But try telling that to a government security officer. It doesn't make sense, but that's the rules and they stick by them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson
    I always play by the rule:

"Out of site out of mind"

If you flaunt it or make the camera visible then you will have issues. Get a case that does not show it and pretend it does not exist.

My 2 cents
    I thought about this for a nanosecond. When the security guard at the court building asked if the phone had a camera, I looked him in the eye, smiled, hesitated for that nanosecond, and said: "Yes sir, it does".

Then I handed him my Treo...

sigh...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    What I'm more interested in is: HOW DID YOU POST PICS in this thread? I thought the [img]x[/img] option was diabled here?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #30  
    dunno,

just pressed the image button....
    Just for curious reasons, I wonder if reversing these directions would be sufficient to add the camera to a non-camera 650? Or did they save $0.35 by leaving out additional hardware. Also, would the GSM camera h/w differ from a CDMA, as they layout would be different for the SIM card. Anybody with a CDMA notice any difference in the pictures?

My camera-less 600 didn't have the software to view pictures. I've since upgraded to a 650 with camera (SPRINT).

Swifty, Thanks for a well written thread. Quite interesting. I finally got to see the inside of a Treo. Anybody else have any?
    Last edited by Joey's Poppa; 06/10/2005 at 08:33 AM.
    hoffy, how did you do that? Photoshop or is it for real? and if it is for real what steps did you take to remove the "plug"?
    Yep where I work anyone in the plant can access all the drawings for any of our products. There is nothing to prevent someone from saving the file to a media card. And real cameras are not forbidden. Several people such as myself have cameras for documentation purposes
    You're right about that-the facility I frequent bans camera phones and hooking up your personal or non-facility-owned laptop to the LAN, but memory sticks and cards are completely unregulated (and, as a result, are used by virtually all the locals and visitors in the facility). Beauracracy at its finest...
    Cingular Treo 650 with 1.14/1.51 ROW software/firmware
    modified Piel Frama & Innopocket cases
    modified battery cover (with drilled reset hole)
    1 GB Card o' Software & Stuff
    Camera Disabled (to keep the security guards happy)
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Just to let everyone know that I also removed my camera from a GSM/CNB (AT&T) T650 using these instructions. I actually decided to go ahead and purchase a T650 with a camera after reading this past and having confidence that I could remove the camera myself. I'm really going to miss the camera but it's a condition of employment to not bring a camera to my workplace and I don't think anything other than removing the physical camera would be defensible.

It took awhile to find the small size Torx screwdriver - it's a size T5 by the way. Taking the plastic case apart was the hardest part. I started from the side without the volume buttons. Not sure if it would have been easier starting from the other side. I also left the back 2 pieces together as a subsequent poster suggested and reinstalled the rubber thing that surrounded the camera and the metal cover that was over the camera device.

It was very difficult to remove the "warranty sticker" from the top of the screw by the antenna without it coming off in pieces. I ended up with 3 pieces and put it back as best I could. Hopefully, I want need to try to get warranty service.

It looks like I could re-install the camera if I decide to do it at a later date.

Everything is working fine after putting it back together. Many thanks for the GREAT instructions by the original poster. This forum is really invaluable for solving most any Treo issue.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Home Depot sells a Husky brand "8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver" that has Torx sizes T4 through T10 plus T15 - less than $6. Their Store SKU is 165355, Internet catalog item 165748.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    I thought about this for a nanosecond. When the security guard at the court building asked if the phone had a camera, I looked him in the eye, smiled, hesitated for that nanosecond, and said: "Yes sir, it does".

Then I handed him my Treo...

sigh...
    This is AMERICA since when is anything going on in a courthouse so secret that a camera phone should not allowed?

What happened to transparency in our judicial system?
    On jury duty yesterday I saw several 650's being vouchered by the court security officers at the metal detectors. Needless to say, these people were extremely upset that they couldn't access their email until the end of the day while they had to sit twiddling their thumbs in the main jury room waiting to be called for a case.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    This is AMERICA since when is anything going on in a courthouse so secret that a camera phone should not allowed?

What happened to transparency in our judicial system?

Itís the same America where security is a concern in the courthouse, as well as the privacy and anonymity of victims and juveniles. So although plenty of times they ban cameras for no good reason- there are plenty of reasons why at least sometimes and in certain areas of a court house banning them would be wise- so having a policy that they arenít allowed all the time in all areas is probably not unreasonable.

aside from extreme cases, I belive the public and the press is always allowed, so aside from electronic prrof there will always be witnesses.
    Wouldn't it be great if you could swap out the old camera with an better aftermarket camera?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast