1.    #1  
    I've been getting a lot more out-of-service dings and dropped calls on my Verizon Treo 600 lately when I never got them before. Which seems to indicate a failing battery. I haven't noticed battery life to be any appreciably worse, but I have used this phone heavily in the 9 months I've had it. And I can still make long phone calls with this phone without getting cut off; it's only in weaker areas that it always used to have a weak but solid signal that I see problems. However, I also recently got a new case- a full aluminum hardshell that leaves the antenna exposed. I've watched the Treo Helper dBm screen taking the phone in and out, and it seems there might be a slight difference, but if it is, it's not much, and these dropped calls happen as frequently with 2 or 3 bars showing, which might just be a red herring from time lag updating the bars, I don't know. (I update towered frequencly, btw.)

Is this the first sign of my battery dying, or just interference from the case? Anyone else with the aluminum hardshell seen any problems like this?

I don't think I could deal with much time away from my phone, and certainly don't want a refurb- if I do need a new battery, would I be better off just buying one off ebay and replacing it myself, or going for the warranty upgrade?

Edit: I just did the VZW update and I swear download speeds increased and I didn't drop the call anywhere in the house; yesterday, simply walking in the door would cause a disconnect. 22 minutes of talking did drain my battery to 87% though, according to batterygraph which seems a bit much- works out to 3 hours of talk vice the 4 I'm pretty sure I use to extrapolate to.
    Last edited by SteveFehr; 05/20/2005 at 09:53 PM.