1.    #1  

Both the speaker phone and the small receiver speaker are not working on my 650. It will play ringtones and the error beep, but no navigation sounds, no game sounds, no MP3 and no speakerphone.
    The only way to hear everything is through an earpiece or headphones. It's like the phone thinks something is plugged into the jack, when it's not.

Is this a hardware issue? Is the jack messed up? I'm past my first 30 days with the phone.
    Is it a software thing? Maybe the 1.23 update or reinstalling the 1.04 update will fix it?
    Maybe even a god ringtone/sounds manager will fix it?

Or am I **CENSORED** because Cingulars insurance won't cover the 650?

BTW.., yes I checked the sound settings on the phone and no its not in silent mode.
    Cingular 680
    did you try a soft reset?
    Sorry that sucks. Search the threads on this. Someone has been posting on this and something about the jack not releasing when you pull a headset jack out of it?
  4.    #4  
    OK, this is a major lesson to everyone to backup your stuff!

As the last "safe resort" I restored my files from a 4 day old backup, using "BackupPlus" (from the palm site). Yeah I'm missing a few numbers and have extra apps, but after a restore and reset it's working again, phew.
    I've been fuming about this all day! And thats all it took!

mods: change this thread title to "A lesson to Backup your Stuff!!"
    Cingular 680
    ok I have had same problem as well. I have not yet done a firmware upgrade, decided to wait for offical 1.25 and I have never plugged in a headset before. However phone stated to act like you mentioned. I did a soft reset and hardreset and same issue :-(.

I then unpacked my headset and plugged it in for first time and took it out. And hey presto the problem is now fixed! ... no idea what cuased it in the first place but until I read this thread was close to chucking my 650 in the bin. I really really do love it - however the phone quality is a nightmare. 50% of the time if I am inside no one can hear me and the quality is poor. If I am outside I have no problems at all. Not as good as a nokia or SE mobile, but not as bad as when I am inside. I am hoping that 1.25 will fix the quality of the phone. Otherwise back to a normal mobile until the next release of the Treo 700! :-)
    You might take it in and get it checked out. (I can't wait for the next version either ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

The 1.23 ROM update won't do anything. It's a hardware issue. The ROM update even makes the problem worse because the speakerphone button is not displayed during a call, anymore, if the external headset is sensed so you can't participate in a phone call unless you have the external headset.

By the way, the problem was intermittent right from the time I got the unit. I used to be able to switch the speakerphone on and off and the speaker would suddenly kick in. It gets progressively worse. The biggest problem is that you can never tell whether you will be able to hear anything when you answer the phone or make a call.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder.com
    The 1.23 ROM update won't do anything. It's a hardware issue. The ROM update even makes the problem worse because the speakerphone button is not displayed during a call, anymore, if the external headset is sensed so you can't participate in a phone call unless you have the external headset.
    In my case it wasn't a hardware issue.
    When I was making a call without the headset plugged in, I had the option of turning on the speakerphone (which was useless at the time). When I plugged in the headset, the option speakerphone disappeared.

I guess that a few things got corrupted on my Treo. Needless to say, I'll be backing up much more often.
    Cingular 680
  9. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Had this problem. It is due to the headphone jack not resetting to speaker mode properly. Probably fixable by hardware but the program Freedom allows you to fix it with software. Just enable Freedom mode or switch manually between headset and speaker mode.
    I just plug my headset in and pull it out and it seems to reset to normal (non headset) mode. In a pinch, others have simply blown air into the headset jack and it seems to clear the headset mode.

Hope that helps.
    Gene
    I have used Get-Treo's method with similar success as well. My guess is that when the headphone jack is inserted, there is a physical conncetion whcih relays a command to the software to act under the headset rules. When you take the jack out, the connection would be lost and the defualt non-headphone rules should take over.

Given that Get_treo's trick has worked for me on 3 different occassions, I think that while the headset is removed, the "signal" for the removal does not go through. My guess is that the failure for the signal is a hardware problem. FOr instance, why else would repreasted plug in / pull out resolve the problem. It's almost like there is something loose which needs to "catch"
    I had the same problem today and I tried the methods described by Get-treo and eedwards. While inserting and removing the plug repeatedly didn't work, sticking just the tip of the headphone jack in and wiggling it about DID suddenly cause the sound to come back on. Weird.