1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering how many feeds you have delivered to Quick News and how much space these feeds take up? I am interested in purchasing this application but am afraid that the feeds will take up too much space on my Treo 650. Is there an option to save the feeds to an SD card during Hotsync?

On a side note, how does Quick News compare to AvantGo?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

Quick news is an rss reader and avantgo grabs web pages. That said, if you set them up right, the content you get back from a given source is pretty much the same. RSS is a lot more granular - you can just get news about cell phones from engadget for example or a certain slice of Wired news. Avantgo gives you Wired news general headlines.

i have 12 feeds coming into Quick News and they use 420k. I run v1.04 and there is no way to save feeds to a card, but I keep asking.

One other thing, it's a lot faster to wirelessly update rss feeds in quick news than it is to wirelessly update Avantgo.

Good luck.
    I have 50 feeds coming into Quick News. It uses about 1.2 MB. I have the latest version and have not considered saving feeds to the card. I'll look into it and get back with you if I can save them to the card.

QuickNews if very customizable. You can choose an "auto-delete" feature where "read" feeds wtill be instantly erased. That should ease some memory concerns. Also, you can choose not to download the RSS header pictures (the tiny CNN logo for instance) thereby saving more space.

I am hooked on QN. I use Abilon on my PC for an aggregator. Once I have a good "set" of RSS feeds set up there I export them as an OPML file to the card. From the Treo then I just imp-ort the OPML file and all my feeds are set up without any real tedious data entry on my part.
    TrojanMike,
    You were just a few days too early. I downloaded the newly updated QuickNews from its site. It now certainly handles external storage accordingl to the release notes.

http://standalone.com/palmos/quick_news/

v.1.1 - Current release version - released May 24th, 2005. This version includes automatic podcast downloading, support for external storage cards, improved XML parsing, better attachment handling, better mail client support, new icons, and much more.
    Anyone get the podcasting feature to work? Anytime I try to listen to a podcast the Treo resets. I've tried both Pocket Tunes and MMPlayer (defined via preferences) with the same result.
    I've got the podcasitng featuer to work. The mp3 file is just saved to my card. pTunes then plays it smoothly.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eedwards
    I am hooked on QN. I use Abilon on my PC for an aggregator. Once I have a good "set" of RSS feeds set up there I export them as an OPML file to the card. From the Treo then I just imp-ort the OPML file and all my feeds are set up without any real tedious data entry on my part.
    I think I'm going to get a desktop reader and import the OPML file like you did. That sounds a lot easier than using this program's interface. I'd call it clunky at best, especially while searching for / adding / deleting feeds. The default feed list is way too long and too hard to customize once it's loaded.
    Last edited by aldamon; 05/26/2005 at 09:42 AM.
    Abilon's export feature and QN's import feature work flawlessly together. Just save the OPML file to your SD card.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I've had no luck downloading podcasts wirelessly if they are greater than 2MB, which includes all podcasts that I've wanted to download. Has anyone found a work-around for this size limitation in the treo 650?