Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been using SnapperMail Enterprise 2.2.6.01 (registered) for past several weeks with good success on my Treo 650. I have SnapperMail set up to automatically archive messages from the Inbox to the SD card, and this has been working fine.

Sometimes, I will manually move emails from the Inbox to the SD card archive folder. While in my SD card archive folder, I will manually do the "bug" command, and check the box "Do auto tasks now". I've done this many times in the past with no problems.

However, today there was a problem with the "bug" command for no apparent reason. After checking the "Do auto tasks now--okay" my Treo 650 immediately went into a soft reset. After the reset, there were no longer any messages in my Inbox and SD card archive folders.

I waited a 1/2 hour, and my Inbox messages reappeared again. However, I had nearly 100 messages archived on my SD card that are still gone and never reappeared. I can't even find my archived emails using FileZ. I'm not even sure where to look, because I have a bunch of SnapperMail files shown through FileZ.

Just when I thought the SD card archive feature would be a secure method of storage, I get this ruid awakening! But fortunately, I'm glad I've been forwarding and also doing a BCC of most of my important emails to my 2GB Google GMail account!! At least I can still retrieve most of my messages with GMail, as I only use that account simply for archival storage.

Anyone have ideas on what to do? Thanks! Casey.
    You are not the first to have this problem, as you will see if you visit the YahooGroup devoted to SnapperMail (find the link on Snapper's support page). It appears the this is a bug that is being worked on. No solution yet, but a workaround may be possible. I'll try to post a lin to my description later, but if you search, it's in a thread on Chatter mail. Good luck!
  3.    #3  
    Hi Curtis,

Thanks for your reply. If you can provide a link, that would be great.

Do you know if the bug is directly from using the "bug" command? Or is this a random unpredictable problem?

Thanks! -Casey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Hi Curtis,

Thanks for your reply. If you can provide a link, that would be great.

Do you know if the bug is directly from using the "bug" command? Or is this a random unpredictable problem?

Thanks! -Casey.
    Casey, the latest news (not much) is on this thread:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/message/18948

This problem is not from using the bug command. It seems to be a random problem (at least from my experience). I will say that I have not had a recurrence in the last week (I reinstalled from scratch), but I'm crossing my fingers, as I expect it to come back to haunt me any day now.
    Wow...I don't like the sound of this! I have the same version of Snapper on my Treo650 but have yet to manually retreive my e-mail (desktop for now), as I'm trying to score a SanDisk Ultra II 2GB SD card. For now, all of my e-mails are on my T650's ram. When is version 3 of SnapperMail coming out?!
    ###
  6.    #6  
    Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the link, which I've read. Not too much here to go on as you mentioned. I posted a message about my problem on the SnapperMail forum. The moderator said he will forward my message to their engineers, so I'm still waiting for a reply.

In the meantime, I will be archiving all my important messages to my 2GB GMail account. Having an "off site" storage is the safer bet anyway, in case I ever lose my SD card, which is always a possibility.

I have programmed my SnapperMail to automatically do a BCC to my Google GMail account for every outgoing message sent. But unfortunately, I think I've lost a few important in-coming messages from the aforementioned reset problem, which I hadn't forwarded to my GMail account.
  7.    #7  
    Kev,

I'm also trying to "score" a 2GB Sandisk Ultra SD card. I've been trying for several weeks, but no luck. It's almost like winning the lottery to get one of these! :-))
  8.    #8  
    Forgot to mention...I've been using a Sandisk Extreme III 1GB SD card.
    Casey,

I take it the Extreme card didn't work well on your T650?

On a related note (launchers), I've read that Launcher X has support with Snapper regarding sending attachments. Don't know if that's just hype marketing or if all launchers can do that.
    http://www.launcherx.com/support/

...Though I hear the features in Z launcher can't be beat.

Similarly, I have a Gmail account and all my old e-mails can be archived. Plus, I still have my old T600 with the exact duplicate of the e-mails in RAM as my T650. Glad I held on do that! Will keep my T600 until this Snapper thing is resolved.
    ###
  10.    #10  
    Kev,

Actually, my Sandisk Extreme III 1 GB card works just fine in my Treo 650. As a matter of fact, I have 2 of them. I use one of them for my Treo 650, which stores all my pictures, videos, MP3 music via PocketTunes, various 3rd party applications, plus archiving my old messages from SnapperMail (when it works right, that is).

My second Extreme III 1GB card is used for my Canon SD 300 pocket digital camera, which requires a high speed transfer SD card to take advantage of its 3 frames per second still shooting, and also for its high speed 60 frames per second video. I like having 2 of the same cards so I can interchange the cards between my Treo 650 and my Canon SD 300 digital camera. Also, I like shooting high quality pics with my Canon camera, and swapping the SD card to my Treo 650 so I can manipulate/enhance the image through Paint 6, reduce the image file size, and email the picture as an email attachment...very cool!!!

Yes, I recently bought and installed LauncherX a couple weeks ago. Yes, it does in fact have a feature which I can easily email a file or application through SnapperMail via LauncherX. Very handy feature actually...which is one major reason why I chose LauncherX over zLauncher. Other reason is that LauncherX is muuuuuuch smaller file size compared to zLauncher. At the time, I was down to a pathetic 4MB free internal memory. After getting LauncherX, I transferred a bunch of apps to my SD card, plus deleted a bunch of useless ones, and this in turned resulted in having 10MB free again!! I'm sure zLauncher is a more robust launcher than LauncherX, but for its smaller size and simplicity, LauncherX works well for me.

You mentioned that you keep many or all old emails on your internal ram...but doesn't this eat up a huuuuge amount of space? I've noticed that keeping old emails on my internal memory will very quickly take up a lot of space, hence the archiving onto SD card, as well as doing a BCC to my GMail account.

By the way, I still haven't heard from SnapperMail about my problem. This was positively an unexpected, and even unrepeatable random occurrence, which only happened once. I cannot even duplicate the same problem again even after doing more "bug" commands recently. Oh well, such is life on the bleeding edge of technology.
    This morning all of my mail was gone as well. I have it set to move it daily to card. luckily I keep my mail on desktop as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    You mentioned that you keep many or all old emails on your internal ram...but doesn't this eat up a huuuuge amount of space? I've noticed that keeping old emails on my internal memory will very quickly take up a lot of space, hence the archiving onto SD card, as well as doing a BCC to my GMail account.
    Yep, I have my e-mails saved in my T650's (and T600's) internal memory...but it's only a temporary solution until I get my SD card and until Snapperfish Inc. gets its act together!

BTW, you've sold me on LauncherX. I love small kb footprints! I believe Snapper users get a 30% discount! (I have the coupon code in my notepad app!) Do you know of additional coupon codes for LauncherX?!

Almsot forgot: how is Launcher X at RECEIVING attachments?

###
    Launcher X's features don't put the Mail gadget, including SnapperMail, in the most obvious place.

From the default Launcher X download, go to Menu --> Launcher X Prefs --> Gadgets (top right of your screen). Tap Gadgets and scroll down to the 13th gadget. That's the one for "Send in e-mail." Place it in a position, such as Position #7. Tap the OK button.

Now that you have this handy Mail gadget on your Launcher X toolbar, when you tap it, you will see options to send almost any file from your device, whether it's in your Treo's RAM or on your expansion card. If it's a file you want to send, tap the file name.

Here are the options that Launcher X provides with Send With:

BlueTooth
    PrintMe
    SMS
    SnapperMail
    VersaMail

As you can see, SnapperMail is easily accessible using Launcher X. I hope this helps!

I really don't know about the newest version of SnapperMail, but if anybody needs an older version and has lost it, write me and I will send it.
  14.    #14  
    Kev,

I didn't know there was any discounts. I paid full price for LauncherX at palmgear.com. I think it was something like $19.95.

As for *receiving* attachments through LauncherX, I'm not sure what you mean by this. I use SnapperMail which has the ability to both send attachments and receive attachments. SnapperMail is the method I use for receiving attachments. To answer your question, I don't believe there is any way for LauncherX to receive attachments by email (eg: Word, Excel, picture files). You need to have an email program that can handle attachments, such as SnapperMail, or VersaMail, etc.

The method LauncherX uses for emailing files and attachments via SnapperMail is very similar to using FileZ. When I use FileZ, I can check a particular file or application and send it as an attachment by email (eg: through SnapperMail). The choices I have through FileZ are to send by: Beaming, Bluetooth, SnapperMail, or Versamail. LauncherX uses a method much like FileZ for attaching a file or app to email, or beaming to another Palm unit. Honestly, even if LauncherX did not have the email attachment function or beaming function, I wouldn't really miss it, because FileZ would do exactly the same thing for me. By the way, the latest version of FileZ is a bit more elaborate with more features than previous versions. You should download this if you don't have it yet.

Here's the link to the latest version of Filez which is version 6.7:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=1&prodID=9992

As Pamd pointed out, you must first configure LauncherX to have the email icon show up on the taskbar at bottom of screen. The email icon function is somewhat buried in the menu somewhere, but I was able to find it even without looking at the manual. I did however have to look at the manual to figure out what all the various icons mean, but that's about it. The rest is pretty intuitive.

Lastly, if you decide to finally get SnapperMail, my particular version which was SnapperMail Enterprise (approx $63) came with a free application called HandZipper Lite. HandZipper is a veeeeeery useful program! Why? Because you can actually email yourself a *ZIP* file of whatever Palm application, and open the Palm application attachment through SnapperMail, which in turn opens up HandZipper to unzip the Palm application file. Now you have the application up and running on your Treo! This means you don't even have to do the usual hotsynch from desktop to Treo to download a program! Very cool!

For example, if you want a program that I have on my Treo, which you want, I can either use LauncherX or FileZ to email the program to you as an attachment. With HandZipper on your own Treo, and a competent email program such as SnapperMail that can handle attachments, you can then open and download the program to your Treo withOUT needing a desktop computer. I've done this a bunch of times, and this actually works very well!!
    Casey: I just downloaded FileZ, thanks. (Will synch it later.) I do have a version of HandZip Light already (v1.21), haven't had a chance to use it yet. I already have SnapperMail installed on my T650 (inc. e-mails) and am waiting until Snapperfish updates their software before I start retreiivng e-mail (I still need that SD card!)

PamD and Casey: thanks for the LauncherX explanations! I'll be cutting and pasting that into my notepad! Before I pay and install Launcher X, I'm gonna get me TAKEphONE!

###
  16.    #16  
    Kev,

Let me know how you like TakePhone. I had previously installed an older version of TakePhone, and found it to be a little strange. But I think there is a newer version on Palmgear.com which may be better.

I think you'll like LauncherX. It does the job, without too many needless frills. The small(er) file size compared to zLauncher was a plus for me.

As for SnapperMail, you will read all kinds of pros and cons of SnapperMail versus VersaMail versus Chattermail, etc. Everybody has gripes about every one of these email programs, so there is no single perfect application unfortunately. But for now, SnapperMail pretty much serves my needs, so I will stick with it. I can't tell you how much pain and frustration it takes to figure out how to make an email program work the way you want it to! When SnapperMail comes out with an upgrade, I'm sure I'll go for it too. No matter what, just remember to do a duplicate archive of your old messages to GMail !
  17.    #17  
    Kev,

After you mentioned TakePhone 6.50, I went ahead and downloaded the trial version from Palmgear.com. Wow! Seems like a very robust program! Muuuuuch more than just a dialing app. In fact, all the various customization features has me scratching my head. Now I'm forced to read the manual, which I hate to do! I especially like the "FAV" button that keeps all my original "Favorite Pages" from the standard Palm phone app for quick access to my favorite apps and phone numbers. Plus, it has a built in window to look up my contacts, and make phone calls directly from it. There's a lot more TakePhone can do, but I'll have to figure out from trial and error.

Only downside I can see is that TakePhone uses up 1MB of memory! I'm wondering if TakePhone can be transferred to the SD card?? By the way, something very strange I've noticed: At the Palm Home app, when I go to "App" and "Info", my Treo shows that TakePhone is taking up 337K of space. However, when I go to "App" and "Delete", my Treo says TakePhone is taking up 907K of space. A few other associated TakePhone files are also taking up additional space as well. Does this make any sense to you? What I know for sure is that prior to installing TakePhone, I had 10.2 MB of free space, but now I have 9.2 MB of free space after installing TakePhone. Even Palmgear's website says TakePhone uses 320MB. What's up with the discrepancy? I don't understand.
    Hi,

If I may barge in - the additional space is probably taken by TAKEphONE's preferences & databases files - due to the new NVFS file system, files tend to bloat.

Also - you may have skins files installed, too.

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Casey, haven't checked out the file size. But here's a tip I've used to ease into the TAKEphONE transition:

*Green Phone Button: mapped to (palmOne) Phone app
    *Option + Green Phone button: takePhone

I'm thinking PalmOne Phone App for basic PIM stuff (like) speed dial
    And TAKEphONE for more customized lists/business use.

Here's a TAKEphONE idea: for future updates, have the ability to load third-party database phone files from programs like the Palm OS version of ACT!
    ###
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Casey, haven't checked out the file size. But here's a tip I've used to ease into the TAKEphONE transition:

*Green Phone Button: mapped to (palmOne) Phone app
    *Option + Green Phone button: takePhone

I'm thinking PalmOne Phone App for basic PIM stuff (like) speed dial
    And TAKEphONE for more customized lists/business use.

Here's a TAKEphONE idea: for future updates, have the ability to load third-party database phone files from programs like the Palm OS version of ACT!
    ###
    Hi,

Thanks - problem is I cant get them to give me the dataase format...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast