Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I use Chatter on my Cingular T650. My SMTP profiles are set to send via cwmx.com, with no authentication. This setup has worked perfectly since I first set it up weeks ago, but today I suddenly find that my messages are being rejected due to "Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [10.xxx.xxx.xxx]" The last three octets change if I disconnect and reconnect - that's obviously my internal private IP address on CNG's network.

I have my own SMTP server that I am now using as an interim measure, but I'd like to switch back to my carrier's server if at all possible.

I'm using the $24.99 MediaNet plan, and the wap.cingular APN. I wonder if CNG has started to get *****y in an attempt to force us to move to the $39.99 PDA plan.

Anyone else seeing similar problems today?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I just tried it... I got the same error message. I'm also on the $24.99 MediaNet plan.
    I called cingular and they said that it is down and didn't knowwhen it would be back up.
  4.    #4  
    Damn, you managed to find someone who not only knew what you were talking about, but knew the answer as well? I hadn't called them because I figured the response would be either "Huh?" or "The MediaNet plan won't work with your Treo."

Cool, I'll keep trying it occasionally. Glad I have my backup plan.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Just ran across the same thing on howardforums.com.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=5164411
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    The 10. address is a DNS. The cwmx.com domain points to 66.102.172.222 which answers pings, but won't relay. Relay often gets turned off if a spammer was abusing the server. I chatted with a tech on forums.cingular.com a little while ago and he purported that it would be turned back on but couldn't say when.
    73 de K3SLS
    I use snappermail which has worked perfectly until yesterday when I became unable to send messages. I did not call Cingular because I rarely get any help from them. I knew that you guys would have the answer. I will call just so that they realize the magnitude of the problem.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
    This sucks! 2 days on the road without my laptop and I couldn't send any messages! Lost tons of business thanks to Cingular.
    I personally just use Yahoo mail for my pop & smtp. You have to pay for mail plus, I think $20 a year, but it's reliable.

Fastmail and runbox also have very reasonable rates on email boxes.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Is it Cingular's fault? I'm surprised that they even allow cwmx to send outgoing messages.

Cingular provides connectivity. Your ISP provides the e-mail service. Versamail is an e-mail client that needs an ISP.

Cingular's e-mail solution is Xpress mail. That will (and continues to) work when on the road.

There is enough problems that we can blame on Cingular. This one, I think is should be blamed on the ISP's for not providing a secure SMTP server that will accept outgoing e-mails not originating inside their network....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Cingular sells the Treo as an email device (among other things) so yes, they absouletly should provide pop and smtp email access with their intrnet access plan. And I disagree. The internet access data plan means they are you ISP (Internet Service Provider) the same way Comcast or SBC is you ISP for cable modem or DSL.
    That's what PDA connect is, "internet service."

Cingular shouldn't just have and provide SMTP, they should actually support it.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/20/2005 at 09:55 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  12. Emm
    I am on the same cingular server, they sell the device as being pop compatable, they provide the outgoing server (they push the service over the hardware) and then they don't give customer service information on the server being down. Glad to know someone got through to a tech with information. I was on tech support 4 hours yesterday, when I suggested the server might be down, the tech said that is not information they would provide to tech support. Call Cingular so they know the scope.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Is it Cingular's fault? I'm surprised that they even allow cwmx to send outgoing messages.

Cingular provides connectivity. Your ISP provides the e-mail service. Versamail is an e-mail client that needs an ISP.
    Is it Cingular's fault? Absolutely! As long as you're connecting to the internet through their network, they are by definition your Internet Service Provider, and should provide you with a means of sending email. I use my Treo to read and send both work and private emails. Our business servers are set up to allow POP3 and IMAP, but our antispam solution (Brightmail) totally disallows any SMTP relaying, even from authenticated senders. So I, and many others like me, rely on the ISP that we're using at the time (i.e. Cingular) to provide a means of sending mail.

Fortunately for me, I have my own private server that does allow authenticated relay, so I've been able to stay in touch, but without that I would have had to fork out for yet another service to fill in for Cingular's ineptitude.
  14.    #14  
    BTW, as a favor to my fellow Treophiles, I'd be willing to set up a few temporary accounts on my relay server if you ask nicely and PM me with an email address I can send the details to.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Is it Cingular's fault? Absolutely! As long as you're connecting to the internet through their network, they are by definition your Internet Service Provider, and should provide you with a means of sending email. I use my Treo to read and send both work and private emails. Our business servers are set up to allow POP3 and IMAP, but our antispam solution (Brightmail) totally disallows any SMTP relaying, even from authenticated senders. So I, and many others like me, rely on the ISP that we're using at the time (i.e. Cingular) to provide a means of sending mail.

Fortunately for me, I have my own private server that does allow authenticated relay, so I've been able to stay in touch, but without that I would have had to fork out for yet another service to fill in for Cingular's ineptitude.
    It's bizzare for me to be defending Cingular ...

Is Cingular like any ISP (AOL, Roadrunner etc?). Do they claim to provide POP and SMTP services?

I know.. you say "they should" .. but in fact, do they?

If one had no other e-mail accounts (other than web-based..they don't count in this discussion), where does Cingular clain that POP/SMTP/IMAP accounts are provided with their Media services?

They provide Xpress Mail. That's it, as far as I can tell.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    It's bizzare for me to be defending Cingular ...

Is Cingular like any ISP (AOL, Roadrunner etc?). Do they claim to provide POP and SMTP services?

I know.. you say "they should" .. but in fact, do they?
    I maintain that in this day and age, when every responsibly-administered SMTP server is locked down in an attempt to reduce the scourge of spam, every ISP (and I maintain that includes Cingular by definition), should provide an outbound SMTP server for its customers.

And therein lies the diffference - I believe it's a responsibility, not a luxury, while you apparently believe the opposite. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I maintain that in this day and age, when every responsibly-administered SMTP server is locked down in an attempt to reduce the scourge of spam, every ISP (and I maintain that includes Cingular by definition), should provide an outbound SMTP server for its customers.

And therein lies the diffference - I believe it's a responsibility, not a luxury, while you apparently believe the opposite. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Oh, I agree with you. Cingular should, but they don't (I missed it if they had advertised that someplace).

And we don't have to use them and sign on the dotted line for year long contacts...as informed consumers, we have a choice of selecting providers who meet our needs.

My point is: We know going in that Cingular is not provoding POP/SMTP services. So it's not like they are not delivering on their service agreement.

I was pleasantly surprised that cwmx existed.. I was expecting it to go away at any time ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Yesterday, 18:37
    bobolito
    Cingular Forum Moderator Phone(s):
    1: Moto V400, SE T616, LG G4050
    2: Nokia 8265, 3360, 8260, 5160, 5120, 6590i, 6340i (Cingular)
    3: Motorola P8097, Nokia 3595 (AT&T)
    Provider(s):
    X Cingular Levantando La Barra .:l

No relaying means you can't use the server from a non-authorized address to send messages. This is a feature to avoid spammers to abuse the server.

The above was on Howard Forum mentioned earlier...I don't quite understand what it means. Are they cutting off all folks that have a none cingular email address or what?

Any thoughts?
    The problem seems resolved. Snappermail is fully functional once again.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketAddict
    The problem seems resolved. Snappermail is fully functional once again.
    Indeed, working fine again here, too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast