1.    #1  
    I need a direct comparison between HandMap and Quo Vadis - both are mapping software. From reading a number of other reviews, these two seem to the best of the paid software (I know about Mapopolis - but the Maps are huge!). If someone has tried both of these in the USA, please comment on:
    1. Speed on Visor
    2. Price vs performance
    3. GPS Tracking/Compatibility
    4. Stability on Visor
    ..anything else?

Thanks
    AM
  2.    #2  
    It looks like the Quo Vadis site http://www.marcosoft.com is down. Its one negative against a seervice that is supposed to provide maps on demand. Its been down for over 4 days as far as I can see!
    AM
    I just downloaded the Handmap demo. It seems to work at least as well as the Quo Vadis, at least as much as I can tell in 10 minutes of playing around with it.
    Originally posted by alexmathew
    I need a direct comparison between HandMap and Quo Vadis - both are mapping software.
    I have Quo Vadis, but not HandMap.

I haven't tried to log into Macrosoft's website recently, so I don't have a clue about that.

QuoVadis is a very nice piece of work. I've used it to navigate while walking through strange towns several times without any serious problems.

The software allows you to set a destination point and then will draw a small arrow in the middle of the screen pointing to that point, which is a useful way around the fact that the Visor's screen is too small to put much of a map on it. It is also capable of locating an intersection on a map, which you can use to find where you're standing.

The biggest drawbacks of the software are

1) Only one destination is supported. You cannot create a set of named waypoints and navigate your way to them in any sequence. This means that you can't, say, place two markers on your map so you can go the the resturaunt and then back to the hotel; you have to write down the nearest intersection to the hotel, set the resturaunt as your destination, and then set the hotel as your destination on your way back. This is a very clumsy workaround for a feature which should be directly supported.

2) I've run into trouble with names of roads. Unfortunately, street signs do not always match the name in the program -- "Tresser Boulevard" in Stamford, Connecticut is listed as "US 1"; "El Camino Real" in Redwood City California is "State Highway 82." This is probably unavoidable, I'm afraid.

I have not tried to use the software with a GPS.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by alexmathew
    It looks like the Quo Vadis site http://www.marcosoft.com is down. Its one negative against a seervice that is supposed to provide maps on demand. Its been down for over 4 days as far as I can see!
    AM
    I got an e-mail from their support:
    Hi,
    we apologize for the problem you are experiencing accessing our site.
    We are indeed still here. Unfortunately our server is momentarily
    down for maintenance and we will be up and running again in very
    short order. We thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    --support
    =====
    well, they are still in business!!
    Bye
    AM
    Alex

I'd suggest'd you go to Junglesoft.com and try their program out. It's free and now they have several nice features included such as yellow pages etc.

I have in the past purchased HandMap and QuoVadis and I actually like Junglemap better. Their map size is about the same as the others and their loading time is about the same.

The great thing about Junglemap is it's ease of use...in my mind.

Watch out though when downloading the maps because if you load allot of yellow pages and other stuff then it gets to be real large .pdb files.

You can also get maps for any place now even though under the main screen it only shows select cities but if you look around you can load maps for obscure smaller communities.

If you don't like this then my preference and recommendation would be QuoVadis if you really want to pay.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.