1. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I have searched the threads, have not found a similar issue (apologies if I missed it...)

My Treo 650 will synch via infra, but when i try via USB, the sync "tone" will play, but (more often than not) nothing will happen. Only a few times have I been able to get the unit to sync via USB. Note that I have also tried a different cable.

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Does the Hotsync log indicate anything? Windows XP? Mac OS?
  3. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    No. The log only reflects the latest succesful hotsync...it does not reflect the attempts that result in no activity.
  4. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    To ensure the problem was not with any third party apps, I did a hard reset on the Treo and a clean install of the PC software.... Still nothing -- but infrared still works great...
    Does your computer recognize the treo? Open up the device manager (start>settings>control panel>system>hardware>device manager) when you try the hotsync. Does anything show up?
  6. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Yup -- the PC sees the Treo... Ran through that w/ a good Tier 2 support rep at Sprint. She could not find any solutions other than a reference on Palm's support site that discussed editing som, "IMF" file...? But she was unsure, so I am going to the Sprint store to have the eval the unit.
    Do you have the hotsync software loaded? You should see the hotsync logo in your system tray (that section of very tiny icons in the lower right corner by your clock)

If you see it there, right click it and make sure there is a check by the USB option (its either called "USB" or "Local USB")
  8. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Yes, the sync software is loaded (for what it is worth, I am a fairly experienced user). I did find some addititional info at Palmone support site. They have a utility that makes an attempt at "fixing" the USB registry, along with some other potential fixes...
    If your PC can see it, it most likely not a device problem. Does the PC see it as a Treo or as an unknown device?
    i had a similar problem, it was related to another program that was trying to take control of my usb/hotsync stuff... i could sync with IR/BT/Serial, just not usb... i think it was a conduit such as intellisync or it could've been pdanet. i uninstalled everything palm related on my computer and reinstalled them all and it worked fine.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I synch via USB cable, infra red and bluetooth, but I have to change com port every time I change synch method. I go into the Hot Synch Magr and choose com port 3 for USB, com port 21 for bluetooth etc.
  12. ajg
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Ugh...Kenundrum nailed it. Port conflict occured to me, but I failed to shut down PDA net. As soon as I did that...no problem!!!