1.    #1  
    Ok, i got a new VZW Treo 650 but was having a problem with it, so they mailed me a new one. I now have them side by side and noticed that on the new one, the keyboard backlight is not as bright white as the old one. The onld one has nice bright EVEN white lights behind it but the new one has a blueish tint around most of the keyboard except the bottom right area which is the 'bright white' like it's supposed to be.

Anyone seen this before? Is there an LED light not working?

Now I don't know what to do... the old one with a minor screen problem vs. the new one with a minor keyboard problem.

thoughts? can i open this thing up to look at backlights??
    I have to ask...did you adjust the brightness on either one of them....
    I have Cingular Treo650 as does my husband, my best friend has a Sprint Treo 650.

When we put the three Treo's next to each other, we noticed something similar.

The lights on my keyboard are white and bright. Both my husband's and my friends are dimmer and have a yellowish tint to them.

I assume there is a difference in the production models. Not sure if that helps at all. We all have the same software running, and the Treo's are only a month apart purchase wise.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    There seems to be a quality control issue with the Treo 650. I've had the pleasure of going through 5 Treos since the launch. 2 Dead pixels, 1 dead IR port, 1 soft P botton and 1 dim keyboard like your experiencing, only my keyboard would turn off while screen is lit. All were replaced, but I did find that the lighting of the units never really matched each other.

Duke.
    Is it really that much of a difference though? I think that the keyboard backlight is extremely bright (almost annoying) anyway. If it was dimmer without having to use something to adjust it, I would think it would be a blessing.
  6.    #6  
    it definitely has nothing to do with the brightness. i don't mind it being 'dimmer' but it is not consistent across the keyboard, so that is very annoying. so now i'm not sure what to do. i think verizon would think i'm crazy for returning ANOTHER one based on this issue.
    This might help you...

Will the small variation in brightness actually affect your ability to use the Treo? Or is it more of a cosmetic issue?

Yes, "it should be a uniform brightness, darnit!" But, it's not. I just looked at mine and it's uneven across the keyboard; in fact, half my spacebar is lit and the other half isn't. Goofy? Maybe. Defective? Who knows.

It doesn't, however, prevent me from using it.

Sprint 650, by the way.

Tom
  8.    #8  
    it's totally a cosmetic issue, i agree. a little annoying, but i shouldn't worry about it, i know. just want to make sure it's not a sign that the other leds are about to go out.
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    This is funny you posted this. I just got a replacement phone from Sprint due to this issue. My keyboard had that greenish look only at the bottom (like it was dirty). This was not acceptable to me, and I asked Sprint to replace it which they did.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I had to fire up my KB backlights just to see this.

At least mine is white, but DAMN bright.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    This might help you...

Will the small variation in brightness actually affect your ability to use the Treo? Or is it more of a cosmetic issue?

Yes, "it should be a uniform brightness, darnit!" But, it's not. I just looked at mine and it's uneven across the keyboard; in fact, half my spacebar is lit and the other half isn't. Goofy? Maybe. Defective? Who knows.

Sprint 650, by the way.

Tom
    I've got a Sprint 650 and I have the exact same issue. It doesn't bother me at all. My keyboard frequently loses its backlighting when the screen is still lit and I'm pressing buttons. This doesn't bother me at all either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukenewt
    There seems to be a quality control issue with the Treo 650. I've had the pleasure of going through 5 Treos since the launch. 2 Dead pixels, 1 dead IR port, 1 soft P botton and 1 dim keyboard like your experiencing, only my keyboard would turn off while screen is lit. All were replaced, but I did find that the lighting of the units never really matched each other.

Duke.
    Duke..Can't believe your persistence...The Treo should be renamed the "Trasheo"...What a joke...What a lemon...You're a better man than I am...It will take a lot to regain my confidence in Palm products after my experience with the Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    This might help you...

Sprint 650, by the way.

Tom
    I have the same unevenly lit KB on my Sprint 650. Exact same problem, spacebar, etc. At least now I know I am not the only one.
    Yep mine is the same as described. The light is not even across the Keyboard. No big deal to me. Plenty bright enough for typing.
  15. lua
    geez. here i am worrying about why some of my programs doesn't work ... i guess the "flicken-lighten" is more crucial for using treo ...
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    humans are happest when they complain
    When I went from CING 1.04 to 1.17 I noticed the keyboard became much dimmer, and also dimmed/brightened as you adjust brightness (not sure if 1.04 dimmed or not). I can only image it is a battery saving feature as are many of the 1.17 upgrades. The keyboard also seems to "jump" as you move the device while illiuminated...very annoying. 1.04 definitely did not as a customer and I compared our devices and noticed the difference.