1.    #1  
    Sorry to blame again, but every time my Treo resets, I loose all the preferences and registration numbers for all my programs. Even I paid already over 200 bugs for all kinds of software from LauncherX, PTunes, Butler etc, re-entering all registration numbers is really painfull.iam loosing patience.

Treo is still lovely toy. It even replaced my Nokia 9500, Razr, Nokia 6230, but system is just very unstable.

Somebody was recommending sync again and all is back to normal, but not for me. Syncing does not bring the preference file back to normal.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Thanks. Keep up your heads up. This discussion board is just way too good.
    PalOne should pay big $ to all of you for your great support! respect
    I had the same problem. Do a "zero out" reset. rename backup folder. resync PIM info. reload programs from old backup one at a time.
    This is *SO* well documented all over the forum.

Saved Preferences.pdb sometimes gets lost somewhere. Restore it. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by m.p.
    Sorry to blame again, but every time my Treo resets, I loose all the preferences and registration numbers for all my programs.
    It's not that the reset is causing you to lose your preferences, but rather that a problem with the preferences is causing the resets.

This has been discussed heartily in several existing threads. Yes it's a pain in the *** that this happens, but there's a simple and effective workaround that should lower your blood pressure by around 20 points.

If it's causing you that much heartache, just buy BackupBuddyVFSPro, or BackupMan, or Botzam Backup, or pretty much any other tool that will allow you to backup to your SD card, and simply restore your Saved Preferences database if and when it happens again.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  5.    #6  
    I did serached this "SO" forum on this topic and everyone was suggesting to "sync again" and all is back to normal. Did not worked for me. Or I am missinng something.

I understand, that I should sync with backup SavedPreferences.pdb and have my computer overwrite the Treo or buy BackUp Man I should be ok. Does this BackUp man allows me to backup only the Preferences on the card or do you fully backup complete RAM content of your Treo to the card?

Looks like I can just restore that one file with this appl. without going to reinstalling all of the applications. Gets this application updated automatically every time I for examl. sync or are these two independent steps?

Iam not that deep-in-techh guy but user, so if you can just let me know step by step process for this I would really appreciate. Right now Iam going to get BackUpMan or whatever has to be added to help Treo to do what it should even without any 3rd party add on.

Thanks, Mike
    The hotsync backup doesn't provide any simple way to restore your Saved Preferences, and it won't help you if you have a crash while you're away from your PC.

BBVFS or BackupMan will allow you to restore any or all of your files at any time. So you would probably want to do regular full backups (all files), and then use their selective restore functions to restore only that one file if you have this problem again. Then you would also have the security of being able to restore everything if you had a catastrophic problem at any time.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I found this post by searching on "restore preferences". This post is so usless. I have this issue and it would be nice if the "STFF" people would be so kind as to provide at least ONE link to "All the posts" that "well documented" throughout the forum. Why have more than one post about searching and not one post with a link to the "real" posts. When I find one that is helpful, I'll come and do what the other should have done back in May.

Here is one that helped
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...re+Preferences

I use BackupBuddy but not the one that backs up automatically. So I was about to restore from 6/2/05. I did restores the Saved Preference files from the card (\Palm\Backup\).

It restored most preferences with the exception of LauncherX.

TreoGuard kept reg code, but was disabled. I think TreoGuard is the cause, because I get called sometimes and the phone rings but it will not allow me to anwser. It hangs the unit up until a reset is done.
    Last edited by godschoice; 06/07/2005 at 02:39 PM.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    I had this problem in the past. most people did not start to experience the "preference loss" until updating to 1.08. I kept the saved pref file on my SD for about two weeks and would just copy it to RAM and that would restore my prefs. I realized it was only a bandaid though, because it was happening way to often. I came to the conclusion that my prefs file and maybe a few other files had either become corrupt or were not compatible since updating from 1.03 to 1.08. When you hard reset, it does not erase everything. So... I did a ZERO out reset... and reinstalled everything from scratch. I have not had a preferences loss in the two months since I've done it.
    Whenever I launch BackupBuddyVFS after I've lost the preferences, it only gives me the option to do a full restore (since the Treo has lost it's hotsynch name Backupbuddy apparently thinks I did a hard reset).
    How do you get it to just restore the Saved Preferences file?
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    Whenever I launch BackupBuddyVFS after I've lost the preferences, it only gives me the option to do a full restore (since the Treo has lost it's hotsynch name Backupbuddy apparently thinks I did a hard reset).
    How do you get it to just restore the Saved Preferences file?
    Thanks.
    From the BBVFS menu, choose Options/Advanced. Change the dropdown in the top right-hand corner to, "Restore", scroll down the listed files, select "Saved Preferences" and tap the Restore button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
    Last edited by Bill Gamble; 07/05/2005 at 10:29 AM.
    Thanks. Since it brought up a different screen than normally comes up that just had a restore option , I didn't even think to check if I still had access to the menu options...
    Ok, since it happened again I started up BackupBuddyVFS,
    and it immediately gives me only one option:
    "This handheld appears to never have synchronized. Would you like to:
    backup / restore"
    With no ability to get to the menu to select anything else.

I think it's due to the Treo losing it's identity (hotsynch name), but
    I don't know how to reset that...
    Something is causing the treo to crash and loose the saved prefs fyi. Hopefully you can find the offending app and delete. If not, then use an SD backup app like backupman which can let you restore saved pref file individually from backup archive set. I've done this several times...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions