Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks, just got my Treo 600 on 5-17 and set it up without even having to hotsync it to my Mac. I mainly want to use the Treo to write a novel in installments, which I can then save and e-mail to the Mac. Unfortunately the Treo limits my e-mails to 180 characters per message... not practical for writing a novel!

    So now I'm thinking, what I need is a Palm OS version of the Simpletext program which came with Mac OS 7.6 and 9.x, just bare-bones WP without the whistles and bells, which will allow me to save text files, attach them, and send them to myself. It would help if such a program is cheap or free... anyone know if something like it is available as a download? If so, what is it called, and how do I get it?

    BTW the store clerk had a tough time activating my Treo for web-only... apparently I'm the only person who bought one there and didn't want the phone service for it. :-)
  2. #2  
    Sounds like you might be sending instant messages instead of emails.
    dp
    __________________
    Cingular Locked Treo 650: V 1.04
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dpyers
    Sounds like you might be sending instant messages instead of emails.
    Yeah, usually if you are limited to only that many characters, then your probably in the sms app.

    Here is an app that is free and it lets you create/edit word docs.

    http://www.freewarepalm.com/docs/sied.shtml

    Its called sied. I havent used it but you can try it out and let us know.

    I have docs to go. I use it alot for excel docs when I away from the office. If you like the spell checker, word functions and excel sheets, then I would recommend the dataviz package. Sied might be all you need for your novels.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, I'll definitely give it a shot... the description looks like what I need, not loaded with useless features. :-)
  5.    #5  
    Located that sied program, but when I tried to download it, I got a message that I didn't have some other program needed to support it. Then I tried to find out about Word To Go, but the sites refuse to list the price for it. (FYI I'm a babe in the woods who needs to be led by the hand in this.) It's frustrating to the point where fiddling with the Treo is slowing my work on the novel down instead of speeding it up... did I choose the wrong device for my purposes?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ke6wnh
    Located that sied program, but when I tried to download it, I got a message that I didn't have some other program needed to support it.
    I am not sure. I have a 600 on sprint and it works fine with no other program needed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ke6wnh
    Then I tried to find out about Word To Go, but the sites refuse to list the price for it. (FYI I'm a babe in the woods who needs to be led by the hand in this.)
    Here is the link to Doc to Go. The newest version is $49.99 Its pricey but you can do a lot with it (manage pics, spreadsheets, word docs, power point presentations, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by ke6wnh
    It's frustrating to the point where fiddling with the Treo is slowing my work on the novel down instead of speeding it up... did I choose the wrong device for my purposes?
    Only you can decide this. Is the 600/650 a laptop. No, if you think that, then your expectations are too high. Can it do a lot more than pretty much any other smartphone...yeah especially in the nice small package.

    You just need to spend some time surfing around TC. There are plenty of threads out there listing all the great features and programs (most of them being free.)

Posting Permissions