Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got off the phone with asurion. Looks like Tmo will be carrying the 650. I asked the CSR "what if I am with tmobile and I have a treo 650?" she says as of JULY 1 2005 the 650 will be covered. Sweet.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Ok, where did you get your info? I sat on the phone yesterday for 45 minutes trying to get some info on the Treo 650 from T-Mobile. The sales guys in the field say T-Mobile won't get the T650. The guys on the phone say it is being tested, but no ETA. I could not even get them to give me a "by fall" answer. July 1st is my birthday so it is the perfect gift. Now if only T-Mobile would be willing to give a date.
    whats wrong in getting the GSM unlocked version?
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    whats wrong in getting the GSM unlocked version?
    #1: I heard a rumour that the T-Mobile branded Treo 650 will include WiFi.
    #2: I want the insurance, call me silly but I want it.
    #3: I personally prefer to have it a branded phone for 100% compatibility.

Plus, I figure I can probably get it from T-Mobile for atleast $150 cheaper than unlocked. Simple enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by temna

Plus, I figure I can probably get it from T-Mobile for atleast $150 cheaper than unlocked. Simple enough?
    #1 is exactly what you said: a rumor. If a T-Mobile Treo had WiFi, it wouldn't be the 650 and we would already know something about it.

I understand the other two, but if number one is the reason you're really holding out, then go ahead and buy an unlocked 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by temna

Yeah, seems completely simple enough. But, with a branded Treo, you do not have the ability to (without getting T-Mo to unlock it first) travel abroad, since the phone is locked to T_mo's system, also, the carriers usually (like Cingular and VZ) disable features like DUN so you HAVE to use their services. I look at it this way...When I bought my unlocked GSM for T-Mo 650, the salesguy at the P1 store told me that buying the GSM unlocked version would give me complete compatibility and I would be getting the phone as it was intended to be sold, with ALL the features enabled and even better, no branding (which is especially good, in case you ever needed to switch carriers for some reason).
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    oh, and I really doubt the addition of WiFi.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    Yeah, seems completely simple enough. But, with a branded Treo, you do not have the ability to (without getting T-Mo to unlock it first) travel abroad, since the phone is locked to T_mo's system, also, the carriers usually (like Cingular and VZ) disable features like DUN so you HAVE to use their services. I look at it this way...When I bought my unlocked GSM for T-Mo 650, the salesguy at the P1 store told me that buying the GSM unlocked version would give me complete compatibility and I would be getting the phone as it was intended to be sold, with ALL the features enabled and even better, no branding (which is especially good, in case you ever needed to switch carriers for some reason).
    T-Mobile will send you the unlock code within 48 hours of your request - just tell them you are traveling abroad. And even if it's locked, all you have to is uncheck the "North America" box and your T-Mobile Treo 600 will work anywhere in the world, no unlock code needed. But it is 99 cents/minute.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Don't read too much into Asurion's response. They are changing thier coverage policies on July 1st, Tmobile has NOT announced they will be carrying the phone.

It's part of a complete reformation of the insurance plans offered to Tmobile clients and will cover phones not originally sold or carried by TMobile, thus they will cover the GSM 650. But it's certainly got a high price attached. $6/mo plus a $110 deductable. So a repair or loss in year one will cost a minimum of $182, year 2 $254, Year 3 $326, etc.
    Plus they limit the claims to 2 per year and they will be handling all the claims, repairs and replacements, not Tmobile. Which will probably result in a much longer timeframe for repair/replacements once you file a claim. I got excited when I saw the post, but a careful read of the new policy put quite a damper on my enthusiasm.
  10.    #10  
    Oh i did. But some insurance is better than none. Call Asurion. They claim that Tmo will carry it. I have called them 4 times now to confirm
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    Oh i did. But some insurance is better than none. Call Asurion. They claim that Tmo will carry it. I have called them 4 times now to confirm
    Well, the people on the phone say they will be offering the Treo 650. They just cannot say when. And as for the change at Asurion, I heard it goes into effect June 1st, not July 1st. I do not believe T-Mobile will disable DUN. It is not consistant with their other policies. And I have to wonder if the longer wait and the lack of a release date/info might just be because they ARE waiting for a wifi enabled T650. Wishful thinking maybe, but I have to think there is SOME reason for the delay. Not just T-Mobile being clueless.
    they were one of the last carriers to have the 600 -- and if they ever get the 650, they'd be last again.

I like T-Mobile, but they don't have the love for the Treo it seems. Maybe too many support headaches -- maybe just general corporate attitude.

Their Euro division is much more active in getting higher end smart phones as soon as they become available.

Regretably P1 is not going to deliver on WiFi. There needn't be a new different T-mobile version of the 650 to do wifi -- they "only" need write the drivers enabling their own SD wifi adapter.

But according to the senior P1 staffers I spoke with in November, this will not happen. They do not want to commit the resources needed to write the drivers required to seamlessly juggle the cell, BT, wifi radios within an old OS that's not multi-threaded capable.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I've been periodically checking T-Mobile's site for any news regarding the 650. I checked today and the 600 is no longer listed. I don't know if this is a good sign (their on hand stock of 600's has finally run out, and now they'll offer the 650) or a bad sign (they're dropping Palm completely and going strictly with Blackberry and HP).
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    But according to the senior P1 staffers I spoke with in November, this will not happen. They do not want to commit the resources needed to write the drivers required to seamlessly juggle the cell, BT, wifi radios within an old OS that's not multi-threaded capable.
    Unless the picture of the Treo 650 sporting Cobalt is less tease than a future upgrade. Didn't the team that created a WiFi driver for the 650 find a "working" wifi driver in the 650s firmware? Only to find the beginning of the file corrupted? Maybe I misread the posts, considering how much research I have been doing into a T-Mobile branded T650. But hey, imagine if the hardware was already IN the T650, just disabled by P1's people due to the driver headaches or provider concerns. Makes the rumours about T-Mobile's T650 that much more interesting. Might be wishful thinking, but they have had enough time to work out the kinks by now if the hardware is there in the first place.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Smith
    I've been periodically checking T-Mobile's site for any news regarding the 650. I checked today and the 600 is no longer listed. I don't know if this is a good sign (their on hand stock of 600's has finally run out, and now they'll offer the 650) or a bad sign (they're dropping Palm completely and going strictly with Blackberry and HP).
    Interesting, considering they just took down the N-Gage too.. *calls T-Mobile* Just, noticed it is on the business site.

EDIT: The person I talked to on the phone talked to her supervisor and the wireless data people. Both said "the 650 is coming"(tm). But, no one is able/willing to give any kind of time frame. I assumed considering the large push to get T-Mobile to carry it (the petition, websites and my daily call), they would do the same thing as with the BB7100s. A nice banner on the home page and a email system to inform interested parties. I feel like a kid sitting by the Christmas tree Christmas eve waiting for the parents to wake up se I can open my presents (except that I'm sure I'll have to pay huge for this present).

It is kinda funny though, to see that 5 out of 7 handhelds on T-Mobile's web site are Blackberries now.....
    Last edited by temna; 05/20/2005 at 03:21 PM.
    600 is no longer available through t-mobile's website. You also can no longer buy it for t-mobile through p1. P1 seems to also be out of unlocked unbranded 600s. We all knew that they had a mighty inventory of 600s when the 650 came out. We also knew that tmo had its fair share from that inventory.

Maybe, just maybe, now that the 600 has finally been exhausted, Tmo will move on to the 650. My fingers are crossed because I really want one, but can't justify spending $500-700 on an unlocked one. I'm willing to extend my K with Tmo to get in on the equipment upgrade from my t610.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    From T-Mobile customer relations email:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile.

William, thank you for your email. We are not going to offer the Treo 650 as it is a phone unit exclusive to Cingular. We are to offer the RazR in the fall, although we don't have a definite release date to offer. The Treo 600 has most likely been removed from the website due to a low stock issue.

A Treo650 will work with our service if the phone is sim unlocked. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Two weeks ago I bought the unbranded GSM version for use on TMo. I had a PalmOne retail store in the neighborhood (West L.A.).

Before purchasing the unbranded Treo I signed up with Sprint and got the $289 deal. This would have been great, except I could not get reception in the two places I need it most. So, I cancelled with Sprint.

Then I thought about going with Cingular. After adding everything up (cost of the phone, tax, phone plan, upgrading Cingular's plan so I could have comparable service to TMo, activation fee, etc.) it was about $175 more to buy the unbranded Treo and keep my TMo plan month to month.

Then I thought about being locked in to a 2-year plan, reports of lousy C.S. at Cingular, the fact that an unbranded, unlocked Treo would ultimately go for more on eBay , how great my reception is with TMo, the data plan, and the fact that I've always gotten good service with TMo, and it seemed like the $175 difference wasn't all that bad.

If TMo were to offer the Treo 650, it would probably go for $499. So, I was back to where I was before when considering Cingular. Sure, I could wait and wait and wait and wait for TMo to offer it and maybe save $200, but then I'd have a TMo branded Treo. I'd also be locked in to a contract for at least a year.

I opted not to wait for TMo to offer the 650 and went for the unbranded, unlocked Treo from P1.

Bill
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how long Cingular has the exclusive rights to the GSM Treo 650 for?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast