1.    #1  
    Last night I got no reception in a place where my friend's Motorola V551 did just fine.

Any way to boost the Treo's reception? Do those hokey looking things that you install next to the battery do anything or are they just snake oil?
    http://marc.abramowitz.info/treo-650/
    Treo 650 GSM unlocked, firmware 01.71, software 1.20-ENA
    Cingular with MEdia Net Unlimited ($24.95)
    I believe they're snake oil. But the 650 can accept an external antenna; search existing threads for more details if that's an option for you.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Are you and your friend on the same provider? Does the Moto have an analog mode? Either could explain the difference. I find my 650 gets better reception than any of my prior phones did. It's the only phone I've had that actually continues to provide a workable signal in my elevator, at work.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    i had one of those things and it made my cdma treo 650 produce an audible chirp during calls. I removed it cause I didn't notice any increase in reception and the chirp got on my nerves.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    i had one of those things and it made my cdma treo 650 produce an audible chirp during calls. I removed it cause I didn't notice any increase in reception and the chirp got on my nerves.
    LOL That would be irritating.

I dont think anyone has made a 'real' claim that those antenna boosters work.