Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I often notice, when I've had my 650 in my shirt pocket, that when I pull it out there is no signal showing.

But if I put it on the desk, table, bar or whatever next to me, a signal will shortly appear, will show up as reasonably strong and continue to flash the old green light.

This may be general to all mobile phones, or maybe specific to the Treo, but does keeping it close to the body interfere with the signal strength?
    I notice it all the time with my current gsm phone(Nokia 6820. My Treo was ordered just this morning.) I think I noticed it with my Sprint CDMA phones before as well.
    Yup, saw this with my GSM phones (including the Treo 650) the last 8 years...
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    You guys don't have a pacemaker, do you?
    What is it about the shirt that could possibly cause the Treo or any other phone to reduce signal? I can't imagine that being the case. Maybe if the phones are sideways in the pocket versus standing straight up, that makes sense as far as the antennae goes.
    Do our bodies shield the signal, or is it the static electricity of our clothes? Now there's a science project for someone.

Cheers, Perry.
    I would bet that our bodies shield the signal quite well. Bones are dense, and the rest of us has a high concentration of water, neither of which are probably great for the wireless phone radio frequencies.

That's just a guess.
    your body absorbs RF. it peaks between 30 and 300 Mhzs-but will absorb all types of RF. so that is what happens when you keep it close to your body.
  9. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Hmmm... I've never noticed this, I keep my Treo on belt clip most times. Do you have to be a big person to absorb a lot of RF?
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    Do you have to be a big person to absorb a lot of RF?
    I should submit this one to Jay Leno's headlines. I almost spit my water out on my keyboard reading this!
    Should teach you not to drink and type! Polyester anyone?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    the great thing about keeping the phone in your shirt is when the signal gets reduced the phone pumps up the power (possibily increasing your exposure to harmful radiation and reducing your battery life).... fun
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Whether or not this is linked to my original question about the body sapping the signal strength, I don't know, but I'm noticing that (especially, I suspect, in areas with a weakish signal) I am finding the voice of the caller breaks up a lot. This happens particularly with voicemail, where only about every other word gets through.

If I put the phone in my hand, instead of next to my head, and use the speakerphone I receive loud and clear.

Is this a common problem?
    Radio receivers don't work well near humans which are really 'ugly bags of water'.
    HP 95LX -> Newton 100 -> Palm III -> Handspring Platinum -> Treo 270 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Another reason not to keep the Treo in your front pocket. Atleast for the men.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    Another reason not to keep the Treo in your front pocket. Atleast for the men.
    I don't think that a belt clip is going to prevent any more absorbtion of RF than putting it in your pocket would...