1.    #1  
    Based on some suggestions on the forum I called the singular reps and they sent me a code via email ( did speak to them over the phone).

I have to go to India for a month and would like to use my number there while I am in India.

So I was happy that they gave me the code .. I followed the instructions and it said it's unlocked .. but when I tried my friend's sim ( T-moblie) it didn't work..

Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've heard folks say you need to enter the unlock code with the T-Mobile SIM card in the phone. It is an 8-digit code, right?
    I unlocked my phone with the SIM card that came with the phone in it. I then tried a T-Mobile card and it worked.

I have read that you can enter any 8 digit code and the phone will say it's unlocked. However, there is only one code that truly unocks it. If you made a mistake entering the code, it will seem as if the process worked when it really didn't.

Try unlocking it again with the code you got from Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    Try unlocking it again with the code you got from Cingular.
    Might not be a great idea. Most phones (and I think the Treo is among them) will only allow you to try a small number of codes before they refuse to accept any of them. They don't want you just guessing. So if you try the wrong code too many times, you may never get your phone unlocked.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    there are a LOT of threads on this. If you do a quick search, you will find that what they gave you is probably a SIM unlock and not a Subsidy unlock. you need the Subsidy unlock code.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    ityped in "cingular unlock code" and got over 100 threads - best to read those before starting up a new one. good luck.
    Unlock instructions to get it to 'take' right:

The code is unique to each IMEI (i.e. your radio)
    Make sure the phone is on and in coverage with the original SIM
    Type in the sequence *#*#<your unique unlock number>#
    You should see the message that the phone is now unlocked.
    Power down the phone and remove the SIM.
    Test with the alternate SIM.