Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I am trying to fabricate a Sync button on my miniSync cable. Since all of the pins are installed, I could just fabricate a momentary switch to initiate the HotSync.

I know that pins 6, 10, 11, 12, and 13 (starting from the opposite side of the connector from the power) are used by the HotSync process, and that 6 is used in conjunction with another pin to initiate the process.

I have searched EVERYWHERE, and it doesn't seem as though even developers (lowest Palm level for programmers) have access to this info. Can anyone help direct me to this info?

PS, the 16 pin connector listed at PalmOne/PalmSource is the old "Universal" one and not the "MultiConnector" on the T|5/LD/T650.

Thanks in advance.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    This may be a silly question, but why not just use the onscreen hotsync button in the hotsync app on the treo itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by gbobman
    I know that pins 6, 10, 11, 12, and 13 (starting from the opposite side of the connector from the power) are used by the HotSync process, and that 6 is used in conjunction with another pin to initiate the process.

I have searched EVERYWHERE, and it doesn't seem as though even developers (lowest Palm level for programmers) have access to this info. Can anyone help direct me to this info?
    The info is contained in the PalmOS 4.0 SDK (available to developers).

For USB hotsyncs, the only pins used are

4 - Ground
    6 - USB Data +
    7 - USB Data -
    12 - Hotsync interrupt

From the SDK:
    Pin 12 provides a HotSync Interrupt pin. The HotSync interrupt is weakly pulled high inside the device.

A HotSync interrupt is initiated when pin 12 is pulled to GND.

The HotSync interrupt is not used in the peripheral detection mechanism; it only initiates a HotSync operation.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  4. MMT
    The palmOne_SDK_4_1_Docs_Developer_Guide.pdf (available through the Plugged In program on P1's website) has all the details. It says:

"A HotSync interrupt is initiated when pin 12 [your pin 6] is pulled to GND."

There is an analog GND used by the audio line-outs, and there is a digital GND. I would guess that the correct ground for HotSync is the digital GND. This is listed as their pin 8, or your pin 10 when starting from the opposite end from the power connector.

Hopefully the attached diagram will help. PM me if you want a copy of the developer guide. You can get it from P1, but you have to sign up for the developer program (for free) and it's a little tricky to find this exact document.

Good luck. Use this info at your own risk! I haven't tried it and don't know what might happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5. MMT
    ...or, the correct ground could be pin 4 (P1's pin 4) as Mark suggests (our replies crossed so I didn't see his before submitting mine). I guessed that they mean the digital ground because of the attached paragraph in the SDK guide. Sorry it's an attachment; I can't figure out how to format a table in this forum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Thank you all. The picture, especially, was very helpful for confirmation.
    I think I'll post if I am sucessful.

And for those asking "Why?". Because I can.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    As an update, I can now initiate a HS with a microswitch I hooked up for testing. I hadn't realized that GROUND was one of the securing pins. I had been attempting from the NEG of the USB port prior to this informed input y'all gave me.

Now I have to fashion a curcuit board switch, probably from an old Nintendo controller. I love learning through trying.

One more update to come (if anyone cares). I am very embarassed that I didn't look through that manual. I think I figured it wouldn't be in the SOFTWARE Development Kit. Thanks guys.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbobman
    I have searched EVERYWHERE
    Except this thread