Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's been a while since announcements and press releases stated BB Connect would be available for Palm OS devices. I noticed that BB is one of the sponsors for next week's PalmSource Mobile Summit & DevCon in San Jose (which starts Tuesday). Specifically, a BB Connect rep (Keith Hum, Senior Sales Engineer) is giving a presentation on Tuesday. The obvious question, of course, is when will BB Connect be available for PalmOS devices? If an announcement is forthcoming anytime soon, next week is the logical time to expect it.

Anyone plan on attending this event who could make sure the question is asked and answered?
    Last edited by Ree Nigne; 05/26/2005 at 02:08 PM.
    I hope they announce somthing. we are about to rollout our BES server.

But, if it only does email, what is the point?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    RE: RIM robustness: Unless you want to edit native Office documents or browse the web with any detail.

I hear they are adding calendar to the BB connect product. I just don't want
    What functionality does Blackberry Connect have as compared to the ability to wirelessly sync email and calendar events using Exchange Activesync? My firm has Blackberry Enterprise Server and Exchange 2003 and I'm about to get a Treo 650, once Blackberry connectivity is rolled out for the Treo which way should I go?

Thanks -
    The only benefit of a blackberry is to have push email, or if your exchange server is behind a firewall and they won't give remote access unless you use youre remote access.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Any news from the PalmSource Mobile Summit & Devcon re the release of a Blackberry client for the 650?
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    Any news from the PalmSource Mobile Summit & Devcon re the release of a Blackberry client for the 650?
    Well, this is not good. Treonauts is covering the conference, and here is the question asked and answered:

"PRESS Q&A WITH ED COLLIGAN & PATRICK McVEIGH

Blackberry Connect: Ed Colligan mentioned to our surprise that there was little interest from carriers for the present version of BB Connect on the Treo and that this was the primary reason why it had not yet been made available. At the same time however it is also my understanding that BB Connect is simply not ready to ship."
    [Source: treonauts]

So, the [new] CEO says carriers "not interested." I'm officially no longer waiting for BB Connect on PalmOS. I'm dead behind a firewall with no possibility of getting corporate email unless I get a Crackberry.

Treonauts has some other tidbits from the Conference, including:
    1. A PalmOS licensee (not palmOne) will release a keyboard smartphone in Q3; and
    2. A palmOne smartphone with Windows Mobile to become available as early as three months from now.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Of course, there's always GoodLink for behind the firewall push email from Exchange. The trick will be getting your IT folks to agree to the $330 per user per year (assuming a 2yr commitment).

We have both GoodLink and the BES in our shop. If the BB connect works the same way on a Treo as it does on a CrackBerry, I would go with GoodLink hands down.

Just wish they did a flat server price and CALs...
    ...for the present version of BB Connect on the Treo...

That may have a lot to do with the fact that it does not include Calendar functionality, but the next version of BB Connect will, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    Well, this is not good. Treonauts is covering the conference, and here is the question asked and answered:

"PRESS Q&A WITH ED COLLIGAN & PATRICK McVEIGH

Blackberry Connect: Ed Colligan mentioned to our surprise that there was little interest from carriers for the present version of BB Connect on the Treo and that this was the primary reason why it had not yet been made available. At the same time however it is also my understanding that BB Connect is simply not ready to ship."
    [Source: treonauts]

So, the [new] CEO says carriers "not interested." I'm officially no longer waiting for BB Connect on PalmOS. I'm dead behind a firewall with no possibility of getting corporate email unless I get a Crackberry.

Treonauts has some other tidbits from the Conference, including:
    1. A PalmOS licensee (not palmOne) will release a keyboard smartphone in Q3; and
    2. A palmOne smartphone with Windows Mobile to become available as early as three months from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    I hope they announce somthing. we are about to rollout our BES server.

But, if it only does email, what is the point?
    I'd be happy with email for now....at least it's a start!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    What about Xpressmail for Cingular users? That has personal and corporate editions that install on the exchange servers.

I am using the personal edition and it works beautifully.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    What about Xpressmail for Cingular users? That has personal and corporate editions that install on the exchange servers.

I am using the personal edition and it works beautifully.
    This is the same thing as Sprint Business Connection and is made by Seven. I have used this both on Sprint and Cingular and think it is an excellent product. It uses much less memory that GoodLink and is much easier to install. If you're on Sprint it is either free or $15/month. How can you possibly beat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    ...for the present version of BB Connect on the Treo...

That may have a lot to do with the fact that it does not include Calendar functionality, but the next version of BB Connect will, I think.
    What's the point of a NEXT version, when there isn't a current version yet???

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    This is the same thing as Sprint Business Connection and is made by Seven. I have used this both on Sprint and Cingular and think it is an excellent product. It uses much less memory that GoodLink and is much easier to install. If you're on Sprint it is either free or $15/month. How can you possibly beat that?
    If your company doesn't offer those options for you then it's pretty worthless. I worked for a large company that only let you access your mail through web access (non mobile) or through blackberry. With blackberry connect I could have gotten my email from the road. When you work for a small to medium it's a lot easier to implement software and open firewall ports.
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423
    Of course, there's always GoodLink for behind the firewall push email from Exchange. The trick will be getting your IT folks to agree to the $330 per user per year (assuming a 2yr commitment).

We have both GoodLink and the BES in our shop. If the BB connect works the same way on a Treo as it does on a CrackBerry, I would go with GoodLink hands down.

Hang in there....
    I have been using Good since my company starting supporting it recently, and I am pretty pleased with the performance. You get good (not perfect) access to exchange email, calendar, tasks, and notes, all of which sync up on a push basis within seconds when changes occur at the server or on the Treo. I think Treo/Good far surpasses BB hardware/software, because the relative weaknesses of Good are small, and the hardware advantages are enormous (even just the phone part, not to mention the Palm platform).

The current Good release seems pretty stable; I have not had many resets lately. My wish list? A more compact footprint or more importantly the ability to store the data on the card, more ability to configure options on the Treo (versus IT staff on the server), the ability to search my calendar and notes. (This is tricky because only a portion of the stuff on the server gets to the Treo in the current release (most recent emails and future calendar?), and it is not clear to me exactly what portion this is. If I could put stuff on the card and configure it to sync a large timeframe I probably would.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423

You asked, you received

Cingular: $1500 server/maintenance, $99 CAL
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    GoodGuy -

Would GoodLink provide wireless conduit for Notes databases?
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    GoodGuy -

Would GoodLink provide wireless conduit for Notes databases?
    Man, don't I wish...

I did attend a meeting with our president last week and he said that Notes is definitely on the drawing board. Our GoodAccess product should be able to access a Notes database since (if I am not mistaken) Notes has a WSDL component.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast